Ortho Appliances to help with nail biting?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Beckalicious

Ortho Appliances to help with nail biting?

#1 Post by Beckalicious »

I am due to get braces for anywhere from 1-2 years with or without a bite plate(whenever my finanaces improve and I can pay to get them on finally), but I have always been a nail biter and know that nail biting is harmful to braces. I was wondering if anyone on here has ever had any Orthodontic Appliance to help them stop biting their nails prior to their treatment or know of any appliances that might help? Please let me know so I can ask the Ortho before I start treatment, so they can add it to my treatment plan. Thanks.

CuriosityAndTheFeline

#2 Post by CuriosityAndTheFeline »

Deleted.
Last edited by CuriosityAndTheFeline on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lela

#3 Post by Lela »

Why not work on breaking the habit before treatment gets started? It might be just the motivation you need.

My daughter managed to bite her nails with braces. It didn't harm them in any way (the braces) or slow her treatment down at all. I had hoped it would help her break the habit, but no such luck. :roll: I'm not really sure how she managed it. My teeth don't even touch right now thanks to my changing bite.
Fully braced 9-02-08
Braces off 9-21-09

Beckalicious

Thanks for your reply!

#4 Post by Beckalicious »

Thank you for your reply. I give myself manicures weekly, even have gone to the extremes of having accrylic nails on to help me with not biting my nails, to using the stuff in the stores that supposedly tastes nasty. Nothing's worked. I know my mom had threatened me years ago that eventhough I didn't want braces when I was much younger and my parents were willing to pay for me to get braces to have a habit crib put in my mouth to help me stop sucking my thumb, but still nothing in 26 years has helped me nip biting my nails, not even looking at my Engagement Ring and Wedding band on a hand with nubs for nails. Thank you for letting me know that it's impossible to bite your nails with braces. That's a help. It's defanitely one I need to nip in the butt, just haven't had any success or willpower.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#5 Post by blindboarder2008 »

I to was a nail bighter but when i got braces that changed. I just couldn't bite my nails anymore. As stated above due to my changing bite my teeth just didn't line up the same way as they did prior to braces so it was next to impossible to bite nails and it continues to be this way today. I really wasn't sure if i'd be able to break my nail biting habbit but i did it! Today i get long nails and it doens't really even bother me, whoda funk i'd have long nails and it wouldn't bother me!!! good luck and let me know how it goes!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

blindboarder2008

#6 Post by blindboarder2008 »

I to was a nail bighter but when i got braces that changed. I just couldn't bite my nails anymore. As stated above due to my changing bite my teeth just didn't line up the same way as they did prior to braces so it was next to impossible to bite nails and it continues to be this way today. I really wasn't sure if i'd be able to break my nail biting habbit but i did it! Today i get long nails and it doens't really even bother me, whoda funk i'd have long nails and it wouldn't bother me!!! good luck and let me know how it goes!!
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Wobblydeb

#7 Post by Wobblydeb »

Braces might be the solution. I chewed my nails until I got fixed braces as a teenager. After they were put on, I couldn't get the finger nail to the bite point of my teeth - the brackets got in the way! :)

After a couple of years of braces, I had beautiful nails and the urge to chew on them had gone. Even after my braces came off, I kept them pretty nice ever since. :D
Initial set: 31 upper / 17 lower
1st refinement: 14 upper / 10 lower
2nd refinement: 10 upper / 5 lower

CuriosityAndTheFeline

#8 Post by CuriosityAndTheFeline »

Deleted.
Last edited by CuriosityAndTheFeline on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pearls

#9 Post by pearls »

I'm not a nail biter either. But whenever I have a broken nail, or a little bit of an uneven nail which needs biting off, I cannot for the life of me bite it! I try and try again, but I fail every time. In my opinion an orthodontic appliance for stopping nail biting is not needed.

When I was a young teen I went through a phase of biting my nails. My mum bought me this nail polish sort of stuff, where you paint it on, and even the slightest touch of your nail to your mouth leaves this horribly disgusting taste in your mouth. It was so sensitive that I had to be careful when I ate sandwhiches and fruit! If braces do not stop you from biting your nails, I reckon you should try that nail polish stuff. It was so effective!
Spacers in: 9/4/2008
Braces on:16/4/2008
Sentanced for: 18 months
Metal upper and lowers

NYG2007

#10 Post by NYG2007 »

I used to bite my nails before braces. I find it impossible to bite my nails now. I have top and bottom braces and the brackets don't allow for a enough room to stick your finger in and bite. I am happy about it though. I thought nail biting was going to be an issue for me (I didn't want to interfere with tratment). It isn't, because I can't.
Braces worn for 2 Years 4 Days

Blog: http://nygbracesjourney.blogspot.com/

MrMetalMouth1029

#11 Post by MrMetalMouth1029 »

I am now a former nail-biter...once you try to bite your nails after the braces are put on, you'll quickly become a former nail-biter too :) It doesn't hurt, but it's almost impossible to bite. I just had to learn to invest in a fingernail clipper. I've been braced for a month and have yet to successfully bite my nails...in this instance, your braces could be a blessing in disguise :)
Braced (upper and lower): 10/29/08
Debraced: 3/17/10
Now sportin' a permanent bottom retainer
Alternate clear retainers every 12 hours

Lisa65

#12 Post by Lisa65 »

My ambition is to have an overjet small enough to be able to bite my nails one day :lol:

Clo

#13 Post by Clo »

My ambition is to have an overjet small enough and a bite closed enough to be able to bite my nails one day :lol:

blindboarder2008

#14 Post by blindboarder2008 »

lol i don't think i'd want to bite my nails again, before i got my braces it was a real habbit and i was trying to stop it, like others i thought it might of interfered with my treatment but it turns out it really didn't cuz i couldn't bite them no matter how hard i tried so ya. I had this huge fear that i'd still be able to bite my nails and that my bracets would break off as a result of that. Not a fear anymore though. I really don't have the urge to bite my nails anymore. I used to hate when my nails grew long and so then i would bite them. now they grow long and it doesn't really bother me although i still get them cut cause i work with children so i don't want to accidently scratch them or anything like that. I really hope after i get my braces off that i don't start biting my nails again!!!

Flaka

#15 Post by Flaka »

I am embarrased to say that I found a way to bite my nails even with braces and with my weird bite now :oops: I sure want to stop the bad habit but it is so hard.