Feelings and emotions at the beginning of treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

uncertain

Feelings and emotions at the beginning of treatment

#1 Post by uncertain »

I am new member on the forum, so I will tell a little about myself first.

I'm 25 year old female and just got my braces a week ago. Now at the beginning I have braces only on my lower teeth so I can get used to them first. (My ortho said I need braces because I have crossbite in front area and class III bite on the left side, and slightly too big lower jaw.)

I had my upper wisdoms and one lower incisor removed before the braces were put on.

This is uncomfortable and I hate it when I can't speak properly, especially letters S and T are difficult because of the wire that is behind my lower teeth. But maybe I get used to all this.

I have quite mixed feelings, and I guess I'm quite emotionally sensitive person, too. Other days I feel good and optimistic, other days I almost feel regret that I began the process.

I am also afraid of going to the dentist, so it was a huge step for me to start this.

Have anyone else had these kind of feelings at the beginning or am I just beeing childish and over-sensitive?

(Sorry about the grammar, English is not my native language.)

toddgee24

#2 Post by toddgee24 »

Im 23, and I say just stick with it, i wasnt really looking forward to getting braces, but knew it needed to be done, ive had them for about 10 weeks now and I cant believe the movement ive already seen. I had the same speech problem as you at first and for the most part I speak normal again. I always look in the mirror to see the movement and progress that has been made, nothin makes me happier then seeing that. I thought it would affect my social life, im a shy person, but you would be amazed at how supportive people are, just stick it out, your smile is gonna improve everyday.

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

On the main ArchWired website there is a series of pages that you might find helpful, such as:

http://www.archwired.com/Braces_Basics.htm

Best of luck. Everyone feels a little weird about their treatment at the beginning. Things will smooth out as time goes on!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

lorimar

#4 Post by lorimar »

I had a lower central incisor extracted in October and had lower braces put on 3 days later and am experiencing the same emotions that you are. Half the time I still wonder what in the world was I thinking and the rest of time I think it will all be worth it when I see the results. I am mostly self-consious about the gap from the extraction as you can see a portion of my lower teeth when I talk.

Some people have a hard time understanding me as I also have a slight lisp.

I am hoping that I start to feel more comfortable once the extraction gap is closed. So, no, I don't think you're being over-sensitive about your feelings.

Hang in there...I'm sure we'll both be thrilled with our beautiful new smiles.

TigerLily

#5 Post by TigerLily »

I cried the day I had my braces on. I just wasn't prepared for the impact with having all that metal in my mouth (I have clear braces but had a coil spring on my front teeth and hadn't realised my molars would be in metals). Like you, I had my lowers braced first.

You do get used to it, my speech was most affected at night when I was tired or when I was dehydrated.

It will get better! I promise!

mary.

#6 Post by mary. »

Hi... First of let, let me congratulate you on your new braces!! You should be proud of yourself, it's a big step and a great thing that you will benefit from for many many years.

I know just how you're feeling. I got my braces a year ago, but I remember it all very well. I also have a fear of dentist - actually all medical offices - I go, but sometimes I pass out in them. My friends and I joke about it, but it still happens : ) I was terrified to get braces, and should have got them twenty years ago. You're much ahead of the game, good for you.

Getting braces is a big adjustment - give your body some time. I remember wondering if I was ever going to talk normal or eat well again :) The first week is the worst, and it really does get better, lots better in fact. Most times, I don't even remember that I'm wearing braces... it really has not been so much better than I thought it would be, in fact it's been a great journey with lots of improvements. I'm really happy that I got them.

I wasn't sure how i would feel - but to be honest, I've been so incredibly proud of myself that I love flashing my braces around, and do so at every opportunity. I've had nothing but very positive feedback from friends and strangers. I think my positive attitude about it is what makes the difference. Go ahead and do the same. People will be happy to be happy for you and with you! Braces are a great thing and you'll derive many health benefits for the rest of your life.

So remember... above all - give yourself a huge pat on the back, and do so often - you deserve it!!

CuriosityAndTheFeline

#7 Post by CuriosityAndTheFeline »

Deleted.
Last edited by CuriosityAndTheFeline on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uncertain

#8 Post by uncertain »

Thank you all for your support!

I think it's just difficult to get any real support from people near me. Of course all of my friends and family are supportive in a way, but they just don't understand what I'm going through. It's like all my emotions are coming up, it's hard to explain. I have also cried a lot, it's maybe my way to deal with the emotions.

In my culture we don't talk about our feelings so much, and that makes it even harder. And as I live alone, I don't have people around me all the time. So I really don't have anyone to talk to.

Lorimar, we are in the same situation and I'm happy to know I'm not alone with my feelings. It was two weeks after the extractions when I got these braces. And of course everyone can see the gap when I speak. But now that I have braces, I feel better about it, because now evereone can see there's a reason why I'm missing a tooth.

It's lovely to have a forum like this, even though it's a bit difficult to express myself in foreign language.

KLC

#9 Post by KLC »

Hang in there! I got my braces on about 4 months ago and probably have about 1 yr, 8 months left to go. It's a long ride and, from what I have experienced, it can be a bumpy ride. Some days you'll forget about them, some days you'll love them, some days you'll get sick of them and other days you'll hate them (usually right after an adjustment and you can feel EVERYTHING- lol!).

But, for the most part, you'll just learn to live with them and you'll notice how quickly time flies by. The four months has felt like just a couple of weeks. Just think about New Years last year... probably seems like it was just a couple of months ago, not 12... It will go by quickly and, from what I hear, you'll be soooo happy and will be encouraging your friends to do it too!

The best part, when you start to feel down, just come to this group! It's got the most supportive group of people on here ever and they'll make you feel so much better! We're all hear for ya! Good luck!!

CuriosityAndTheFeline

#10 Post by CuriosityAndTheFeline »

Deleted.
Last edited by CuriosityAndTheFeline on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jill52

#11 Post by Jill52 »

Hello uncertain from Finland,

I can totally relate to your experience. I was an emotional mess for the week before and about three weeks after getting braces. It's a huge and difficult decision and takes a lot of adjusting.

This may sound a bit strange to some, but I think moving your teeth around can bring up other emotional stuff as you suggest. I say this because over the years I have had many, many dreams and nightmares about my teeth and often at times of stress in my life. So for me there is definitely a connection between teeth and emotions that is not just about the braces.

The good news is that it gets better and easier quite quickly. You will soon be over the worst.

CONGRATULATIONS for taking the plunge. I wish you the best on your journey, and come back here often for support.

Excellent English by the way. You express yourself very clearly.
Braced March 20 2008
12 - 15 months