Dealing with brackets that will not stay attached to crowns

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

naturegirl

Dealing with brackets that will not stay attached to crowns

#1 Post by naturegirl »

I have one crown, an upper molar (the second one from the end). The bracket that attaches to the crown has broken loose again. The first time it happened, I thought that it might have come loose as a result of me eating chips and salsa, as that is when I noticed it was loose. (Those were the last chips I've eaten!)

At my first adjustment (Nov. 11), they told me again that they often have trouble getting brackets to stay on crowns. Since it has only been a week since they glued it back on, I'm guessing this is what is going on. However, I am concerned with this continuing to happen in the future and it affecting my treatment. For example, that bracket has a hook on it, which makes me think that they might put an elastic on it at some point.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem and if so, what did the ortho do about it? Is it possible that he might put a molar band on that tooth in the future? (Can you even put a molar band on a crown?)

Also, do you think I should get the bracket glued back on before my next appointment (Dec. 3) or just wait? The last time I called the ortho office, the girl told me it was really up to me, but I have read that it should be glued back on ASAP.

Thanks in advance for your help,

braceface418

#2 Post by braceface418 »

I have two crowns with brackets bonded to them; one is gold and the other is porcelain on the outside. I haven't had any problems yet, although the molars probably aren't that engaged in this whole tooth moving process right now.

When I did ask about it, the ortho said that the porcelain ones weren't usually a problem. He used to have some difficulties with the gold crowns, until he started using lingual braces made of the same material. He said that he basically started using the same process of getting the gold brackets to bond with the teeth, but instead using it to bond brackets to gold crowns. Whatever he did, it required some slightly different prep work and chemicals.

So I guess experience with crowns might play a role in getting them to stay bonded, as well as which teeth are crowned and how much moving they'll be doing. I imagine molar bands can be used -- others have mentioned them and I fully expected to have those on my crowns. In any case, good luck!

naturegirl

#3 Post by naturegirl »

My crown is a porcelain, btw.

CuriosityAndTheFeline

#4 Post by CuriosityAndTheFeline »

Deleted.
Last edited by CuriosityAndTheFeline on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kjaere

#5 Post by Kjaere »

My bottom molars have crowns on them and have molar bands on them right now... haven't had any issues so far... we'll see how she goes... I've only had braces for a month...

married2abuckeye

#6 Post by married2abuckeye »

I think you should get your bracket taken care of as soon as you can, but I don't think it's any sort of emergency. Maybe you could reschedule your Dec 3rd appointment for this week, if there is an opening in their schedule.

About your crown:

I have 2 porcelain molar crowns - one uppper and one lower. My Ortho didn't even bother trying to bond brackets to crowns due to his experience in the difficulty in getting brackets to stay bonded, so I had molar bands just on these crowns. They worked out just fine for me, and actually made me feel confident that there would be no adverse pressure applied to the crown by a plain old bracket that might weaken the crown's bond to my tooth. Just a little bit of my paranoia coming through :)

Anyway, I had no problems whatsoever with the molar bands (I was braced for 15 or so months), and I would recommend them to anyone. The only "downside" was that when they were removed, there was some extra space around those molars where food got stuck. Other than that they were great.

Hope that helps :D
Follow my metal-mouthed journey here

naturegirl

#7 Post by naturegirl »

CuriosityAndTheFeline wrote:
I know my ortho applied a special conditioner to the crowns prior to bonding the brackets to them - is it your ortho who bonds the brackets, or a tech? My ortho has done everything related to my brackets (even breaking them :roll: )....if a tech's been applying the brackets, you might want to talk to the doc about it. If its the doc who's been working with the brackets, you may just want to ask what they can do to keep the bracket bonded to your crown. Good luck.
it is a tech who glues the brackets. The doc just checks to make sure it is positioned right before she glues them.

naturegirl

#8 Post by naturegirl »

married2abuckeye wrote:

Anyway, I had no problems whatsoever with the molar bands (I was braced for 15 or so months), and I would recommend them to anyone. The only "downside" was that when they were removed, there was some extra space around those molars where food got stuck. Other than that they were great.

Hope that helps :D
I already have spacing issues with my mouth, so maybe that is why they didn't add a molar band? I kind of wish they would though, just so I don't have to worry about a loose bracket all the time! :)

naturegirl

#9 Post by naturegirl »

Meryaten wrote: The space left behind from molar bands quickly settles back to more normal interproximal spaces, at least if you are in Hawley retainers.
Thanks for sharing. This is nice to hear! I hope this issue gets fixed at my next adjustment.

braceface418

#10 Post by braceface418 »

I have two crowns with brackets bonded to them; one is gold and the other is porcelain on the outside. I haven't had any problems yet, although the molars probably aren't that engaged in this whole tooth moving process right now.
Clearly, I spoke too soon, as the bracket slipped off the gold crown late last week. I had it put on today and it promptly removed itself a few hours later. Methinks I am quickly heading down Molar Band lane. :D

naturegirl

#11 Post by naturegirl »

UPDATE: I went to my 2nd adjustment today and the doc decided to try a molar band, so they put some spacers in place. He told me that he gives crowns one chance and if they fall off a second time goes to molar bands.

So far, "Molar Band Way" ;) doesn't seem to be as sore of a process as the powerchain they put on my bottom teeth. Yeeeoooww!! Aside from the fact that I'm happy I'll have a molar band in place, I'm also a bit thankful for the spacers...I would have had a powerchain put on top too today if it wasn't for the spacers (double the soreness...)

The spacers have yet to become uncomfortable and I wonder if it is due to the fact that they are near a crown (which has no nerves...)