Top braces off first?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Michaelz

Top braces off first?

#1 Post by Michaelz »

I had my first adjustment today and my ortho told me he would not be putting my bottom braces on until my bite & top teeth are straight. He said probably not for a year.

Has anyone else had this done?

I am assuming that means I will have my top braces off long before my bottom?

jxds

#2 Post by jxds »

I got both sets at a time, but I've got a friend who did not get her lowers until six or seven months after getting the uppers. But she got them off at the same time: I think it is common to place them at different moments but usually debonding is done at once, since that allows for proper coordination of both arches.

arddunaid

#3 Post by arddunaid »

I got my top arch on seven months after my bottom one. I had a saggital appliance on top during that time, though. That's like a giant evil retainer that expands your teeth and sorta erases your muscle memory for your bite- if it is wrong. At least that's basically what I gleaned.

I dunno if orthos often put one arch on at a time if they're not doing anything for the rest of your teeth, but I don't know too many folks with braces.

GiovanntiLawing

#4 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

def not uncommon. I got my top on 2 months before the bottoms.
Giovannti. 26 years old with braces..

http://bracesandthecity.blogspot.com/

2nd Time w/Braces
Metal-First time 10 years ago
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

Next Adjustment 11/25/2008

Word of advice: WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!

Betty Bat

#5 Post by Betty Bat »

I got both of mine on at the same time, but I had the upper removed 6 months before the lower one.