Powerchains

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Carot

Powerchains

#1 Post by Carot »

i have braces on 4 months now and my ortho decided to put this elestic devise with "o" brackets where they are put around each bracket?

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0- ( this is what it looked like)

What are these for exactly.

Thanks
Gareth

naturegirl

#2 Post by naturegirl »

I believe it's supposed to close gaps, but feel free to correct me. (I've only been braced for a month and a week.) :D

princessT

#3 Post by princessT »

i have a powerchain on a rotated premolar.so i think its to straighten out the tooth.

i814u2c

ouch

#4 Post by i814u2c »

They are used for lots of things such as closing gaps and keeping teeth close together. I have had them on my top teeth for at least a year. The grey chain that is smaller than the rest works faster and puts more tension or force on the teeth. The colored chains in my ortho's office are bigger and don't put as much tension on the teeth. :( Yes they do hurt or make your teeth ache for a while. Good luck!!! :D :D :D
37 YR F METAL TOP AND BOTTOM
TOP ON OCT 04
BOTTOM ON DEC 04

KLC

#5 Post by KLC »

I just got 4 put on. Got 4 teeth pulled about 3 weeks ago and got those put on the teeth surrouding each hole.

OUCH!!!

I have had braces for about 4 months and have had the easiest time with it. Spacers didn't hurt, braces barely hurt, pulling the teeth didn't bother me. These suckers HURT!! Hoping the bottle of wine in my fridge helps :-)

Can anyone tell me how long the initial pain lasts? Really don't want to wake up tomorrow in pain.

CactusZAF

#6 Post by CactusZAF »

I have found the discomfort to subside in two or three days after getting power chains put on. After that I'm not even aware that they're still there.
Also if they're replaced at your next app they don't hurt at all, they just give you a feeling of renewed pressure. :)

KLC

#7 Post by KLC »

Thanks so much CactusZAF! That is very reassuring to know. I'm not in as much pain as I was last night but it's still there, more of just a dull ache. I just need to keep busy so I don't focus all my attention on it :wink: Happy Weekend Everyone!