and yet, *another* newbie! (and quick question)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TinselTim

and yet, *another* newbie! (and quick question)

#1 Post by TinselTim »

This website / forum is awesome.

I just got braced yesterday, and realized there are so many questions I forgot to ask, and I won't see them again until 8 weeks.

However, I found a lot of the answers right here on this site.

I was really surprised that the pain of new braces is not that bad... more "uncomfortable" than anything else. Getting the pre-molar extractions were by far the worst experience to date.

My question is: how long before I start noticing some movement? don't get me wrong, I know I have to be patient (for 26 months!), and it's only been 24 hours, but will I see movement in one week? one month? four months? longer?

That's the only question that I didn't find after reading the articles and posts on this site.

thanks!

Toni

#2 Post by Toni »

I've had braces for 6 weeks and I've already seen some small movement. Not a huge amount but enough to make me break out the pre braces photos taken by my ortho for comparison.

Everyone has different experiences with movement but I think you'll probably begin to see small movement in a few weeks.
**Brace Day was September 22 - Ouch!**
**Member of the AW TADA club**

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#3 Post by blindboarder2008 »

well said toni, everyone is uniquely different in when they would start to se movement of the teeth. for me it took well over a month to see a bit of movement. I'm going into my 8 month now of having braces come the 19 of this month and I've seen quite a bit of movement. Its neat how this happens actually. One day i noticed my teeth had moved cuz it felt weird to bite down. at first i thought it might have been just becuase my teeth were being buggers and just having a sensitive "touch me and sting day" but then i bit down and ran my tounge across and saw that my teeth had moved and that they were starting to line up!!!! such a wonderful feeling. I nearly leaped for joy!!!!
congratz on getting braces! glad to hear your not in to much pain!! keep in touch!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

TinselTim

#4 Post by TinselTim »

awesome. Thanks for the responses!

I jumped the gun on the 'pain' thing... Apparently the "osteoclast (breakdown)" [http://www.archwired.com/how_braces_work.htm] has started, and now my teeth are now pretty sensitive.

They feel 'loose', actually. And my cheeks are getting pretty sore from the fun things that are poking out of the molar bands.

This is going to be a long two years (and I haven't even gotten the palette splitter in yet).

I'm grateful for this forum, I won't feel so all alone :)

jjjmac

#5 Post by jjjmac »

Hey, Tim. Just wanted to say welcome, from another newbie. I also had premolars removed and I was braced (w/TPA) this week. I made it into work today, but boy, am I hurting! I hope you're hanging in there.

Btw, I'm in Portland, OR also. :)

TinselTim

#6 Post by TinselTim »

hey jjjmac, thanks for the welcome. Looks like Toni, who first responded to this thread, is in Oregon as well (but doesn't say whether or not from Portland).

I realized that I'm so new to all of this that I don't have any idea what some of the nomenclature is! (I had to look up "TAD" this morning, and I had to do some research to see if I had "Damon" braces or not (I don't. Apparently I have plain metal braces).

So what is "TPA"?

I suppose if I run into another braced adult in Portland, I'll just assume it's you ;)

TinselTim

#7 Post by TinselTim »

Meryaten wrote:trans palatal arch
Wonderful. Thanks.

I'm getting one of those too, in a couple of months. I think "TPA" is less scary sounding.

jjjmac

#8 Post by jjjmac »

Well, I think there are a few more people than just us with braces in Portland :) I'm doing mine through the OHSO ortho school.

I had to look up "TAD" yesterday too. Sorry, I should have explained what TPA was. If it helps any, Meryatan is right - once you've had the expander, I don't think the TPA will bother you at all. I was really worried about mine but it's not so bad. I do have some difficulty enunciating, but I'm not sure if it's from the TPA or from having the braces fully on (since they went in at the same time). It's annoying and a bit difficult to eat with, but overall, I am very relieved about my experience with it so far!

Look forward to hearing more about your "journey."

YRhino

#9 Post by YRhino »

Hi TinselTim,

By my 4th week, I had some very pleasing changes in some of my teeth but a few of my teeth also got worse before they got better. It's a work in progress so don't get discouraged if things don't seem to be moving the way you want them to. I would encourage you to take photos every two to four weeks so that you can see the changes. It happens so gradually that it may look like nothing is happening. I've had my braces for close to 8 months now and when I look at my early photos the transformation has been spectacular.

Toni

#10 Post by Toni »

Hi TinselTim!

Yep I'm in Oregon but about 25 miles NW of Portland, living in the lovely hamlet of St. Helens for about 4 years now and all I can say about that is Thank God Portland is only 25 miles away! :lol:

How are the teeth today?
**Brace Day was September 22 - Ouch!**
**Member of the AW TADA club**