Veneers??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

contour

Veneers??

#1 Post by contour »

Hey Everyone! Hope you are all good.

Ok, so here is the deal, I just came back from another consultation and I have been quoted on having 2 veneers plus a permanent retainer bonded to the back of my upper teeth.

The cost is £1900. The veneers will be bonded to my two front teeth.

My only concern is that he told me he will have to trim/shave each two front teeth down by 1mm each, and when I googled this procedure, i read all about these horror stories about people being in severe pain after, and veneers not matching the exact color of peoples other teeth, and how there is no going back once this is done, and now I just dont know what to do because these stories have sort of put me off.

I just wanted to know if there was anyone on this forum who has had veneers put in, and if so, did it hurt? do they last? how was the whole procedure?

Please let me know!

KARESS

#2 Post by KARESS »

why are you getting them?

Banded: January. 18th, 2007
De-Banding: Nov. 6th, 2008!
& Nov. 13th, 2008 ; pics soon.

Retainers
Lower Bonded Retainer
Olive Green:
Lower Hawley Retainer
Upper Hawley Retainer

contour

#3 Post by contour »

Hey thanks for the replies.

Well this particular cosmetic dentist told me that my two front teeth were chipped and it looked like one of the teeth had suffered from some form of trauma. He asked me If I can recall having any form of accident, but to my memory, I cant ever remember having any sort of accident regarding my teeth, especially my two front teeth. He told me braces would not solve the problem as my teeth are straight, they just need bonding and shaping.

I have been reading so many horror stories regarding veneers, it has totally put me off now.

Here is a link to a recent particular article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... -life.html

It is probably the worst story I have read and heard and it being in a national UK newspaper makes it worse!

The cosmetic denist I visited seems have all the latest technology and is really state of the art, and the veneers can actually be made and fitted within one hour!

here is the website, it looks really plush

http://www.avivacosmeticdentistry.co.uk/

but from the article is mentions looks can be decieveing and how there isnt a governing body to govern the cosmetic dental industry.. its all making me think....

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

Don't let the horror stories scare you! I think they're the exception, not the rule.

My son had vaneers put on his two front teeth (damaged by a baseball) and there was no pain AT ALL, they match his tooth color perfectly and they look really nice.

They will not last for ever, but he had no choice since his permanent teeth were broken off about 1/2 way up. The dentist who did the restoration told us he could get up to 30 years out of them if he takes good care of them.

If you have a choice to do this or not, that would be a personal decision that only you can make. If you are uncomfortable with this procedure, then I wouldn't do it until you are.

Let us know!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

naturegirl

#5 Post by naturegirl »

Meryaten wrote:I dislike veneers as a form of instant-pseudo-orthodontics. As you mention, they require the removal of structure from healthy teeth, and they do not last indefinitely, so you would be committing yourself to replacing these every 10 - 15 years or so.
I completely agree. Before I began treatment, my ortho said that, because a few of my teeth were smaller than normal, there would be some spacing issues and that a few teeth would need bonding. (Of course, I wasn't informed of this--I found out on my own after my dentist called said the ortho's office needed some impressions for the bonding of some teeth after treatment.) At that point, I made it clear that I was not interested in bonding, mainly because: A) I don't like the idea of permanently removing enamel from healthy teeth--it can't be replaced! B) veneers need to be replaced from time to time and C) why would I bother spending the time and money getting braces to straighten my teeth when I could get veneers in the first place?

I understand that if there are spaces between my (smaller) teeth at the end of treatment there may be concerns about the teeth moving back to how they originally were. However, I am reading on this forum about people that have 4 extractions and then have their gaps closed via braces and that makes me wonder why it wouldn't be possible to close my spaces (that I presumably will have) with braces (and without the use of veneers afterwards.)

I also agree with one of the other posters about it being a personal choice. If you think veneers are for you, then go for it. :) I know lots of people that have them, haven't had any problems, and like them. They just aren't for me.

contour

#6 Post by contour »

I'm still in two minds about the whole procedure.. I'm quite shocked when I was told that my two front teeth are chipped and looks like they suffered trauma. The worst was being told that braces wouldnt correct it.. because that was the main reasons I got braces in the first place.

What is the difference between bonding and veneers? I have heard with bonding they dont need to file any teeth down at all?

Could someone enlighten me pleeease??