Hi! I'm New, A little about me!!! :)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

whiskers00182

Hi! I'm New, A little about me!!! :)

#1 Post by whiskers00182 »

My name is Sarah, and I'm pretty new to all this stuff, but I found this web site and I LOVE it! You all seem like a big family and you all support each other! I am going to be getting braces within the next month or two. Im very very excited, and have read lots on this forum before decideing to post something on here. I thought I would start by showing you a few photos of what I have to work with here...

ImageImage

ImageImage

As you can see...I need work!! :) I first went to the dentist for the first time in ..oh God...5 years?!? For the purpose of wanting a Orthodontist referral. I finally have the funds to get the one thing I have always wanted to fix about myself..fixed.. The dentist told me I would need a deep cleaing before anything went on my teeth. I was scheduled for a deep cleaning, first on my right side than my left..The right side I had done a couple weeks ago..which hurt so bad I wanted to cry (doctor said my gums were pretty bad) They numbed me with shots (ouch)let me repeat..(ouch). Second half I go in this friday (halloween hehe) to get the final cleaning. I saw two orthodontists durning this time period because I was told I have to wait 2 weeks after the cleaning before I can have the braces. The first orthodontist kinda gave me the creeps, but told me I had a crossbite that braces probably would not be able to fix by itself and that also the crowding in the front of my mouth would buck out I i didnt have 2 teeth on the top removed (extracted) I do not want my teeth pulled!! :( this made me sad..but was like ok I could do that, however the crossbite would still be lingering even after the braces were removed..sigh. I went for a 2nd opinion about a week later to a different ortho, who i liked a little better. She said alot the exact same thing and I hadnt even mentioned what the other doctor said. She told me that the crossbite could only really be corrected with surgery and that if I didnt want teeth extracted I could have a jaw realigned( for the crossbite and also the overbite that would follow the braces) . I am meeting with a surgion on this thursday, just to see what he says, so im informed of all my options! What are you opinions on my story? Does anyone have any suggestions on which opition I would take!!!??? any advice would be very must apperhiated!!!! My boyfriend(of almost 4 years) thinks I would go for the surgery, because he says that pulling teeth is putting a band aid on the problem, where as putting the jaw where it belongs is the fix. Now let me say, I did ask the ortho what would happen if i just left the crossbite the way it was, all she said was it might cause problems later in life but thats about it, probably because I didnt ask much have that about it hehe. Thanks for reading everyone!!!!!! Hope to post more soon!!!!

Sarah

whiskers00182

#2 Post by whiskers00182 »

here's another picture for everyone to peak at..( I suck with the camera) :)

ImageImage

TheNewEmperor

#3 Post by TheNewEmperor »

Hi Whiskers, welcome to the board and it is *fabulous* that you've plucked up the courage to head to the dentist and get your issue sorted.
It is great that your boyfriend is so supportive and that you have a financial plan in place.

For me, the lead up to getting the braces was the hardest...how to choose the correct dentist for me, the treatment that I felt was best for me and, of course, apprehension - what if I'm the only person in the world that braces doesn't help? :lol:

Your boyfriend has a great way of looking at the situation - this is a problem you want fixed and you can go for a halfway fix or the full deal...this is a huge question for you but you've certainly come to one of the best places on the web to help you research so you can make a decision that you will ultimately be happy with.

Very best of luck.

whiskers00182

#4 Post by whiskers00182 »

I was thinking the exact same thing! the "what if braces dont work for!" Im very hopeful though!! I am sort excited/a little scared to see the jaw surgion tomorrow, we will see! i will post what happens! I am more scared of the pain thats ahead! I more scared of the pain with braces than if I have surgery, if that make one lick of since!!! Thank for the reply!!

bb

#5 Post by bb »

I felt much better after I talked to the surgeon because he knew exactly what would a) work better and b) look better.
He decided to move my upper jaw forward whereas my ortho wanted to move my lower jaw back.
And he also let me know what changes I'd expect to see in my face.

So, I hope you feel better after talking to your surgeon. Bring up the issues(extractions, etc) and ask his opinion on it.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

ldbraced

#6 Post by ldbraced »

Welcome! I just joined this message board and I think it's awesome! Everyone has been very cool.

I tend to agree with your BF. If you're going to go through the expense of getting things fixed, you should fix them right. I also think you should go with the second option and with that ortho because you liked her more. I think we don't listen to our "gut feelings" enough. That's just my opinion. And I'm with you, I would not want to lose healthy teeth.

Keep us posted on your progress!

MrMetalMouth1029

#7 Post by MrMetalMouth1029 »

Welcome to the board! I am a newbie too and I'm enjoying everything I've read and learned so far! It sounds like you have a few choices to make. Go with your heart. You said you liked the second orthodontist better. Chances are you liked her for a reason and probably will have a better relationship. That's about as much advice as I can give as I didn't have to deal with any jaw issues. I was just braced five days ago and I can tell you that all the apprehension that comes before the braces is the worst part. You adjust to having them very quickly, and you can see and feel the difference pretty soon afterward. Sorry that's all the input I could give; we're going to learn together though! Best of luck!