THINNING of face during braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

classII

#61 Post by classII »

Won't be noticeable at all. The movements are mere millimeters. There's tons of room between your cheeks and your teeth.

sillano

#62 Post by sillano »

The reason that you have a skinny face from your braces, at least if you had teeth extracted, is because of bone reabsorbtion. Orthodontists really need to step up and explain this to people before extracting healthy teeth, it is such a 1980's way of treating, they have so many new ways of doing things, this is a barbaric practice, that does damages the face. Who cares if you have nice teeth, if you look older and have a sunken in face? I am going through this right now, but I am trying to reverse it. I had lingual braces put on 4 years ago when I was 27, three extracted premolars one below and two on top, my face looks skinny, my cheeks have sunken in, and I've lost my pouty lips. I had a class 2 overjet and moderate crowding. Surgery was recommended, I didn't want to do the surgery for many reasons, cost, facial change, and recovery. I wish I would have just straightened my teeth with invisalign and left my bite alone especially using extractions. The ortho didn't really explain to me in detail the facial changes that would occur from doing treatment this way.

My orthodontist has reopened the extractions so I can place dental implants, he hasn't got the teeth back in the original position though...yet, I have room on top for implants, not enough below. He has given me an 8 mm overjet and my upper teeth are flaring out now, I never had either of these traits before.
He wants to remove the braces now and retain my teeth. If he refuses to finish the work, I will have to pay another ortho to complete the opening and correct positioning of space. I am so angry and regretful of this orthodontic nightmare. But even with the space opened for the implants my cheeks are still sunken and my mouth is still not as pouty as it was before..I am hoping that the bone grafting for the dental implants will build up my face to what it was. The cost is ghastly to, 12 k on the braces so far, 10k for the implants, the implants are at a discount through the university,possibly even more money on braces too....I wish I did my homework before and not after, would have saved my face, a lot of money, time and pain.

kittenmaisey

#63 Post by kittenmaisey »

Sillano,

you are really going through it! your reference to '1980's' is apt.
That was when I had Ortho work. I was still in my early teens, therefore would not have understood the ramifications of so many extractions.

Left with.. caved in smile. Especially lower teeth.

Hope things improve for you.

winston

#64 Post by winston »

classII wrote:Won't be noticeable at all. The movements are mere millimeters. There's tons of room between your cheeks and your teeth.
This isn't so. I haven't had braces, but I do have a single tooth which is set back from the rest. It's the fifth tooth back at the top. Being set back causes there to be a slight hollowness to the cheek in the area immediately over that tooth.

If that tooth wasn't set back and was in-line with the rest, then I can quite see how my appearance would change as a result of having it removed.

winston

#65 Post by winston »

This is an important subject which I want to learn more about. It seems to me that the thinness of the face is likely the result of the extractions rather than the braces and movement of the teeth, so are there any members here who have noticed that thinning of the face who haven't had any teeth removed?

larita

braces off!

#66 Post by larita »

Hey everyone! i posted here before also complaining about the changes in my face. BUT i got my braces off yesterday, and im loving the results! I am not saying my face looks full like before, but apparently i have lost so much weight, and with braces on, pulling the cheeks and making the lips look bigger, our face can look thinner. I didn't have any extractions beside the wisdom teeth, so i can't speak for other cases, but now i feel that my face is starting to lose that annoying skinny cheeks and I feel more confident about my looks. As soon as you get your braces off, you can see instantly how your lips look like they were before you had braces on, and your face looks better. so i hope this can help you not worry too much.
Cheers
:D

classII

#67 Post by classII »

winston wrote:
classII wrote:Won't be noticeable at all. The movements are mere millimeters. There's tons of room between your cheeks and your teeth.
This isn't so. I haven't had braces, but I do have a single tooth which is set back from the rest. It's the fifth tooth back at the top. Being set back causes there to be a slight hollowness to the cheek in the area immediately over that tooth.

If that tooth wasn't set back and was in-line with the rest, then I can quite see how my appearance would change as a result of having it removed.
Voodoo.

Doesn't and can't work like that.

Science..

Try it.

Complete nonsense.

everyone should be "weirding out" with having braces on in the first place since it adds +2mm output in your mouth on all cheecks, yet instead we have nuerotics screamngthat their faces are cavng in.

Neurotics whether its braces or not.

And certainly scaring and spoiling a huge missionmost if not all ofus adults are doing with their childish nonsense.

yj207

#68 Post by yj207 »

I got 4 extractions and I noticed my face went in more. However I was the only person that noticed it. It actually makes me look better to be honest. Also I haven't been able to eat as much as I used to and walking everywhere (forced exercise) so I have been losing weight which I think is a contributing factor to my face looking thinner. I still can't close my mouth all the way without adjusting my jaw but I am having to move it around less to accommodate it. I also think my teeth are moving faster b/c there is room for them to move, it's not all that bad.

what

#69 Post by what »

My cheeks have little dents in them now. I love them! They look modely. The posts saying it goes away make me depressed. Who wants fat cheeks?

jackjack

#70 Post by jackjack »

i've had four bicuspids removed about a year ago and all are practically closed. my face is less full but nothing too noticable or drastic. i like it. i've been looking at pre-brace photos and no big change of how i look. i think people are being way too paranoid and should seek professional advice. there's a lot of negativity on some of these posts and are uneccessarily scaring people.

winston

#71 Post by winston »

classII wrote:
winston wrote:

Voodoo.

Doesn't and can't work like that.

Science..

Try it.

Complete nonsense.

everyone should be "weirding out" with having braces on in the first place since it adds +2mm output in your mouth on all cheecks, yet instead we have nuerotics screamngthat their faces are cavng in.

Neurotics whether its braces or not.

And certainly scaring and spoiling a huge missionmost if not all ofus adults are doing with their childish nonsense.
I just TOLD you about how the arrangement of my teeth effects how my face looks. Don't tell me I'm neurotic, talking nonsense or voodoo. This is something persons more observant than you have noticed. It's the extractions that are the thing, but if braces move the teeth enough then braces alone could have the same effect. It's hardly a big secret that your teeth provide support to the soft tissues of the face and that losing them changes your appearance. Smaller changes can also occur with the removal of just one tooth.

jackjack wrote:i've had four bicuspids removed about a year ago and all are practically closed. my face is less full but nothing too noticable or drastic. i like it. i've been looking at pre-brace photos and no big change of how i look. i think people are being way too paranoid and should seek professional advice. there's a lot of negativity on some of these posts and are uneccessarily scaring people.
So you've noticed a difference, but because in your case the movements were small and in your case you prefer the change, that makes it nothing to worry about?

Jewles

#72 Post by Jewles »

I have had 4 wisdom teeth and 4 bicuspids extracted and noticed no thinning :)

Inova

#73 Post by Inova »

Had 3 extractions ( 2 upper bicsupids and 1 lower incisor), face not changed in appearance either. Think there is some scaremongering going on here. I'm sure face thinning happens to a small minority of people but orthodontists are qualified experts who know what they are doing. If in doubt, discuss with your ortho about possible outcomes on facial asethetics. I had lots of measurements taken before I had extractions and braces and I completely trust him.

Jewles

#74 Post by Jewles »

The problem is you never hear from the people that have had extractions and are fine. Its only the ones who are unhappy that make a big song and dance of it.

drrick

#75 Post by drrick »

Very true
You dont turn the news on and hear...there were no accidents on the freeway today. Every one got home safely and quickly. :wink:
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News