Braces at 38 (finally)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ldbraced

Braces at 38 (finally)

#1 Post by ldbraced »

I am newly braced and new to the forum. I just got Speed System braces last Tuesday, October 21, 2008. I have to wear those for 4-6 months to pull this mess into place and then I will get my Suresmile archwires.

I have been putting off getting them since high school. My dentist finally convinced me to get them after he warned me that my cross bite issues could cause tooth breakage. I have horribly crooked teeth but it's the cross bite/chewing issue that is more dire than how I look. An attorney with crooked teeth is okay but missing teeth wouldn't be so hot and I really don't want implants. Still, I am looking forward to having straight teeth and a beautiful smile when this is over in 16-18 months!

My teeth really hurt last week on Day 2 and 3. It felt like I had been punched in the mouth and I couldn't chew anything. Looking at it positively, I did lose some weight! Now, I can chew a bit more and the soreness is subsiding.

I did break a bracket off trying to clean between the brackets with one of the small brushes. :-(. I will get that rebonded on Thursday. Does anyone have tips for cleaning and flossing with a small mouth? Also, I am a coffee drinker and my teeth a kinda stained already. Any suggestions for drinking coffee when you have braces. Should I stop completely or just make sure I rinse with water afterward and then brush. I have been brushing after my first cup in the morning and just skipping coffee at work during the day. I plan to whiten my teeth when these bad boys come off.

Overall, my experience hasn't been that bad and I am sure the health benefits and changes to my smile are going to be worth it! I am really stoked about finally getting this done.

PuppySmiles

#2 Post by PuppySmiles »

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Many of us are avoiding coffee and other staining foods - not just for the brightness of our teeth, but it also becomes noticeable for those of us with ligatures that stain easily. I've cut back and started using a straw when I do indulge.

As far as cleaning goes, here's a link to a pretty good discussion we had recently on the frustrations of flossing:
viewtopic.php?t=28614

You might also want to check out the "Dental Do-Dads" section of the forum for more.

braceface418

#3 Post by braceface418 »

I don't have to worry about ligs, but I seem to remember seeing a suggestion to use a straw when drinking coffee, wine, or other beverages that might stain. Might look a bit peculiar, but at least you'd be able to enjoy your favourite beverage.

signingsunflower

#4 Post by signingsunflower »

Welcome! I just got braced last Friday. This place has really, really helped me with all my questions. I'm really grateful to all the people who are so willing to help others.
Check out my blog by clicking on www.
Initial Consult/Molds: 9/10/08
8 Spacers: 10/17/08
Brace Day: 10/24/08
First Adjustment: 12/5/08
Sentence: 2-3 years

TheNewEmperor

#5 Post by TheNewEmperor »

Welcome to the club! you won't regret it!

Re Coffee....well, I'm not electing to drink that through a straw as it can lead to - wrinkles....the type that make your mouth look like a cat's bottom! I have taken up drinking coffee in work again and I just try not to linger over the coffee and then swish with water afterwards....then after an hour or so you can brush but I usually don't :oops: although I do chew gum to stimulate saliva...

TinselTim

congratulations!

#6 Post by TinselTim »

I'm so jealous. I don't get braced until next thursday... although I've waited 40 years, I suppose one more week won't kill me.

I had 4 teeth pulled last week, and that needs to heal up first.

I wish I had done this when *I* was 38... then I'd be over it by now. Good for you... one day you'll be 40 too, and sans-braces!

This forum is awesome. So awesome, in fact, that I'm actually looking *forward* to a couple of years of teeth pain!

ldbraced

Thanks!

#7 Post by ldbraced »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I am adjusting quite nicely. My teeth are feeling much better and I am adjusting to the cleaning routine. I look at it as my private time to think (well except when I am spewing expletives while trying to floss my back molars).

I talked to my oral hygienist today and she recommends a peroxide/baking soda brush for coffee stains so I am going to try that. She also gave me several do-dads for flossing in tight spots. I will try them and post a review later. She said I am keeping them really clean and they look great! I guess I won't stress the stains, I just don't want any decay. I really love coffee and red wine and don't want to give them up! I'll just be super vigilant.

Tinsel--Congrats on getting braces this week!!! The first week is a little rough but trust me it gets better and just keep thinking about that smile you've always wanted that you're lucky enough to be in the process of getting. I feel very blessed to have the resources to fix my teeth!!

It's funny you mentioned 40 because my goal is to have them off before my 40th B-day! The estimate has them coming off before then but I think I'll go longer than estimated. My ortho said he would do his best. I told him we could go over his estimate but that I am really hoping we make by my 40th. We'll see.

ldbraced

Thanks!

#8 Post by ldbraced »

Opps posted that twice. Having technical difficulties!

lisak17

#9 Post by lisak17 »

I am 38 too and wanting them off by my 40th birthday but I know I am dreaming.

This is only my 2nd day and I am hating life!!

Lisa