Having a pre-brace food blowout! What foods are you missing?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

descantus

Having a pre-brace food blowout! What foods are you missing?

#1 Post by descantus »

I've read a lot about foods you either cannot eat or are a real hassle to eat with a brace, and have decided to have a final shout weekend just beforehand and enjoy them all while I still can - it's going to be 2 years until I can do that again :cry:

So far on the list I have melted gooey cheese on crusty bread, angel hair pasta, lots of popcorn and peanuts, and of course sticky toffee pudding!

Any other suggestions to add to the list? What are you guys really missing at the moment?

Thanks, Descantus

dagwoman

#2 Post by dagwoman »

Corn chips, nuts, raw carrots, bok choy. All of them have found really interesting places to lodge under my archwires and around my brackets.

Edit: Oh! Also, broccoli, and berry smoothies- the seeds from the berries would get stuck in really visible, unattractive places.

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

Descantus, there will be no need to deny yourself those foods although you may want to go carefully with some of them e.g. nuts & popcorn.

rolo

#4 Post by rolo »

Curry, Red wine and coffee! Can eat but stains liguatures yellow!

Kerry

#5 Post by Kerry »

my orth has just put clear power chains on top and bottom ! I had curry for lunch so there now ilumious yellow lol ! grim !!!!!!!!

i have been eatign everything i normally do just in a different way, if i wanted carots raw id just chop them smaller i was even eating pop corn the other day lol
Imagewisdom teeth removed under GA nov07 * Braced 8/2/08 * 2 premolars removed Apr08 * Adjustment 4 rebonding, 4 molar bands & new wire 4/7/08 * 31Jul wire change * 28 Aug last wire fitted and lower powerchain put on. 29th May moulds and x rays. 31st July Surgery date :-)

shan*rock

#6 Post by shan*rock »

The normal stuff...nuts (especially cashews and honey roasted peanuts) and popcorn. I eat most things still. I would love to be able to eat a huge hoagie or sandwich without having to cut in up to the point where it looks more like a salad. Tortilla chips and salsa or a big crunchy taco is another one.

Toni

#7 Post by Toni »

Nuts, granola, chips.

Sushi is tough to eat but it can be done. :wink:

I miss being able to actually bite into a sandwich and pizza but I still eat them...I just cut them up into small pieces.

I eat much, much slower now, but that's a good thing. :lol:
**Brace Day was September 22 - Ouch!**
**Member of the AW TADA club**

lovelyleo

#8 Post by lovelyleo »

Here are the foods that I miss the most: Corn on the Cob, BBQ Ribs, Kettle Popcorn, Ice, Bubble Gum the sweet kind you can blow humongous bubbles with, M&M peanuts. I didn't think I'd miss them as much as I do but now I find myself dreaming about these foods constantly. Repressed Food Urges!!!!

Debrace DAY Monday June 14th!!!!
24-30 month estimated treatment time

Maverick

#9 Post by Maverick »

I eat all the same foods I did before braces.

contour

#10 Post by contour »

Hey how are you?

I remember when I had braces, I did have a lot of trouble the first couple of weeks of getting them as I found it extremely hard to bite into foods such as apples, and I had a very bad cashew nut fetish, and it made it almost impossible to eat them.

But after a few weeks, the pain would subside, and gradually I was able to bite into a (cut) apples and each some nuts etc.

But I mainly substituted by making my own little recipies. I loved nuts, especially cashews, so I use to buy those cashew nut butters and just spoon it out! It was delicious, and I use to grill fruit in my george forman grill and mash it all up, and it actually turned into a lovely desert, especially sprinking cream over it..

I'm sure you wont miss much food wise, though I do remember, every time I use to get a tightening of the brace once every 6 weeks, the pain was back again for about a week..

Well goodluck!

jjjmac

#11 Post by jjjmac »

People say you'll be able to eat relatively normally once you get used to the braces.... I'm not far into it yet - had spacers, TPA brackets, and brackets put on so far. I get the wires on in 2 weeks to finish up.... but I can tell you what I miss the most is meat! I'm really not a big carnivore, but I miss it (or the protein - shakes just aren't the same!). As others have mentioned, sandwiches are also big on the list - and pizza! And if you like any ice creams with chunky goodness bits in them - eat that now too. :)

Breezzy

#12 Post by Breezzy »

Snickers candy bar. :(

saycheeese

#13 Post by saycheeese »

I pretty much eat everything I used to before getting braces...including nuts and chocolate. Guess I can't have lollies and gum now, but wasn't much a fan in the first place anyway.

descantus

#14 Post by descantus »

Thanks for all the replies, i'll be lining up some of these suggestions the weekend before my brace.

Hi Meryaten - i'm not really feeling negative about it, just thought a light hearted 'send off' weekend for my teeth would be quite fun to do with friends (and is also an excuse to eat lots of goodies :roll: )

bb

#15 Post by bb »

I thought that my braces would be a great way to lose a few pounds but I've found I can still eat anything I want...so much for that plan!!
But I'll admit I don't eat as often as I used to because of the work to get it out afterwards.

Happy eating!!