*Cheers* for Bite Pads!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lana

*Cheers* for Bite Pads!

#1 Post by Lana »

No, not really. They are SO annoying. I didn't even know I was getting them until i went in for my appt. I was told I had "a lot" of things that will be done. :shock: That sounds kinda scary. So, I know for sure they told me I will have elastics. I was expecting that though.
From reading other posts, I guess I just didn't really understand these things, mostly because I wasn't expecting them, so didn't pay attention that well. UGH! I just want to bite down on all my teeth. When I tried to eat I just chew with the bite pads instead of anything else, since nothing else is touching. YAY.... :roll:
BUT, the only thing I am happy about, is that ortho told me I should see a lot of improvement with my crossbite before my next appt. in November. So I guess I can be happy about that. 8)

jxds

#2 Post by jxds »

Yes, I totally understand you. I also have those bitepads, and when I first got them (the same day I got my braces) I thought I couldn't chew with them -which is kind of true. However, three months and a half later, I do eat more or less normally. Still, only my bitepads touch my top teeth and there are specific things I can't eat well. In these cases, mostly, I just swallow. Only salad is still a pain. Moreover, mines have worn out a little bit, so even if my teeth still don't meet each other, they are closer now and that makes everything easier.

Anyway, you will end up mastering the technique, I'm sure!

Don't worry too much: you'll get used to them and, most importantly, they won't be there forever! :D

jjjmac

#3 Post by jjjmac »

yikes! I'm pretty sure I'm getting those farther down the line (I have a crossbite also). I was wondering how the heck that was going to work with chewing when your teeth aren't touching - it sounds terrible. :(

jxds

#4 Post by jxds »

Well, it is uncomfortable, especially the first weeks. As long as your teeth do not touch you are never able to chew properly, but somehow you adjust so it is not so terrible. However, if I could choose either to have my brackets or the bite pads removed, I would definitely chose the latter!

Bracefacegal

#5 Post by Bracefacegal »

Let's face it, bite pads suck....they've taken all the joy of eating away.

Food just doesn't taste the same!

Blech!
It's never too late to fix your smile! :)

jxds

#6 Post by jxds »

haha, yes, you're right: let's face the truth, bitepads suck! :evil:

Alexandra

#7 Post by Alexandra »

Is that what these things are? I got braces fitted today and at the back of my mouth there are two big wodges of stuff that are holding my upper and lower teeth apart. I can't eat properly. Any handy hints for not dying of hunger? I wasn't expecting this.... :?

jxds

#8 Post by jxds »

yes, be patient and you'll get used! it is amazing how we can get used to almost anything our ortho puts in our mouth!

naturegirl

#9 Post by naturegirl »

What are bite pads and what do they do for your mouth?

jxds

#10 Post by jxds »

They are a sort of buildups placed on your molars that prevent your teeth to meet: in m case, I have them to avoid my upper front teeth to hit my lower brackets and to allow my teeth to extrude and open my deep bite (you can see them on my www)