Asking Your Orthodontist Questions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NYG2007

Asking Your Orthodontist Questions

#1 Post by NYG2007 »

Does anyone feel that it seems hard to ask questions to your Orthodontist? Mine works in a clinic atmosphere which means he can see up to 12 patients at once. He has a lot of technicians who aid him. Every time I have gone in since my bonding date it seems it is hard to ask questions because it seems like he is in a rush or many times I just forget to ask because I am in a rush. I do have questions I want to ask, but never seem to get to. I heard bringing a list helps. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Braces worn for 2 Years 4 Days

Blog: http://nygbracesjourney.blogspot.com/

sunflower99

#2 Post by sunflower99 »

Yes, it can definitely be hard to ask questions especially when you know they are busy. BUT in my opinion you are paying for this person's professional services and it should be their job to educate you on the process. If I were you I would go ahead and ask questions. It's better to put your mind at ease than go crazy on your drive home :)

Also, many orthos are different. I have friends who didn't ask a thing and just trusted their ortho every month and it worked for them, while others who have been very frustrated at their ortho's style bc they wanted more interaction and q&a time.

Good luck with the process! I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

-Michael-

#3 Post by -Michael- »

I don't get it. I've never understand why everyone around here seems to have problems asking their ortho questions. Do you let doctors just operate on you without asking questions? Do you let them perform tests on you without asking questions?

If I want to know about something, I ask my ortho! Sometimes I forget to ask, leave the office and then I call back asking for an explanation. In fact, after the first few visits, I asked so many questions I guess, the ortho started explaining everything they were doing on every visit...without me even having to inquire. He even told his assistants on the 3rd visit, "Michael is very interested in the process so be sure to explain what is going on"

Ask questions. Your the client here and you are paying a lot of money! Ask questions! Ask questions! Ask questions! :D

TheNewEmperor

#4 Post by TheNewEmperor »

I'm with Michael - ask as many questions as you like, you are paying for their experience and knowledge!

If you find that time is limited, indicate to the ortho that you just want to come in and chat with him...and make sure they schedule you in for a good 15 - 30 mins for that. Yeah, it is a hassle going in just to chat and not have an adjustment but it is worse being in the dark about your treatment.

Remember when the orthos were giving us our consults and they had PLENTY of time to talk to us? well, just because you are paying now doesn't mean you don't deserve that one on one face time if you need it. So just ask, I'm positive the surgery will accomodate you.

mary.

questions

#5 Post by mary. »

I never hesitate to ask my ortho or the technicians questions. I don't usually have many but when I do I find them most happy to repond. In fact, I think my ortho likes questions as it shows more interest in all that they are doing. I can hardly appreciate all that goes into the science of braces and all that is going on to make it happen. I trust them completely and most times don't want any additional details or info. I think they go with this assumption, unless they hear otherwise from the patient. But when I do have questions, I've gotten excellent responses and I was always glad I asked and I think they were too. In fact, on two occassions, I've called my ortho with quick questions and he was wonderful about it all. I do think that it's a good idea to write your questions down, as it would be incredibly easy to forget while you're there.

Chantal

#6 Post by Chantal »

SAME! Extremely difficult to punch in ONE question. I am rushed to the chair, rushed to open my mouth, and then I am so much in pain, it is time to leave.

The atmosphere, or the ortho's attitude, is not customer-friendly and welcoming for questions! It is SO frustrating and it infuriates me like crazy! I know I should not accept that and just jump in with my questions. But each time, I feel lucky if I get through with my priority question "du jour", as I choose the really important one before I go in. A shame!!!

Good luck too!

Chantal

#7 Post by Chantal »

I swear I will try next time!!! I will let you know!!! Thanks!

NYG2007

#8 Post by NYG2007 »

I know it sounds easy, but Chantel seems to know what I mean about how rushed it feels. I know for one the technicians do the work and then the Orthodontist comes and checks it. Is it odd, the things that need to be done at my adjustment are assigned the previous adjustment. You walk in and see the technician they do the work and then he comes by and has you open your mouth looks for a brief second and is off. I would think the orthodontist would see me first and tell the tech what to do. The ortho first sees me after the work has been done. Is this normal? Maybe that will explain why I feel rushed.

alex

#9 Post by alex »

I had my last appointment on Friday, and I was feeling the same way! My primary orthodontist always comes over once the assistant has already had me lay down to check things or take out the wire. He goes straight to work and I can't talk while he's working in my mouth. As soon as he's done he talks to the assistant, tells her things to write down, and moves on.

I was kind of excited because on Friday I was going to another orthodontist at the same office (I am a college student and its hard to coordinate schedules sometimes). I thought maybe it will be different and he will give me time to answer questions. Nope. My main question is basically how much longer do I have. I asked the assistant, but she said she doesn't really know and I need to schedule my next visit with my primary orthodontist.

Basically I wanted to let you know I'm totally with you on this one! I like the idea of not laying down until you've said you'd like to ask some questions though.

NYG2007

#10 Post by NYG2007 »

I am not saying you can't ask questions, but it feels that I am not being asked if I have any. It feels rushed. I feel that is should be expected a patient has questions. I spoke to a few people who have had braces before and they stated the ortho operated like mine. Where the tech did all the work and you saw the ortho until the work was done. I did speak up my last visit when they reshaped my wires and the ortho stated that the next visit we will change the wires and use chain elastics to close gaps. I spoke up and stated that this was the visit it was supposed to happen. He didn't realize the wires I had were the originals. They did change the wires and add the chains, but if I didn't speak up I may be two months behind.

mary.

#11 Post by mary. »

My Ortho does many patients at the same time too and they are really kean on staying on time. In fact, they guarantee that you never have to wait longer than 10 minutes for your appointment. However, they have great customer service skills at this office and manage to do it without making you feel rushed.

If you have a lot of questions, one option would be to ask them to schedule your appointment a bit longer, an extra 5 or 10 minutes. Another idea would be to write them down as brief as possible on a small piece of paper. Bring it with you - get your most pressing concerns anwered first before you lay back, then say I have these few questions too. They may be able to explain some of it while working away on your teeth. My technician explained what a power chain is and how it works this way for me and it was very helpful.

In the end, I like to remember that the reason they are moving things along is so that they don't keep people waiting. They schedule the time it takes to do the work. When I am the patient waiting, I am grateful for this. If after taking the tips that you've received, you still are not getting your questions answered, then maybe try to make a separate appointment with the ortho - 15 minutes of his or her time could get a lot of questions answered. Maybe they could add it before an appointment. You would not have to do this each time, but as a "catch-up" perhaps it's an idea.

My ortho checks the work only after as well. At the end of each appointment, he outlines what will be done next time. I suppose he includes a note about any oddities to look for. I am confident that the technicians know when they see something that would flag a need for a change of plans and would call him over then. In fact, they did this once just to check something after a question that I had and he was happy to have a look before we got started. My ortho and his staff are absolutely amazing. These people really know their stuff and I think it would be rare for things not to proceed in 6 or 8 weeks as they expect.

Erikab1033

#12 Post by Erikab1033 »

I also feel rushed when I go to my orthodontist. I pretty much have the same set up as everyone has stated above. When I get there I sign in and an assistant gives me my folder and sends me to the back to wait in a room with about 6 kids or adults waiting to see the ortho, he calls my name looks in my mouth, tells a tech what he wants done, they do the work and I go back to my ortho when done and he checks to see if they did what he said and sends me on my way with no time to get a question in. At my ortho office they don't answer questions from kids, they only speak with parents or adult patients about their braces. I think the reason they don't talk to me is because I look like a 14 year old child but I'm actually 21. The reason I think this is because everytime I'm done and I go to take my chart back, or schedule my next app. They look at me funny and ask where my parents are. This should be a compliment and will probably come in handy when I'm older, I get this everywhere I go but it gets on my nerves sometimes. One guy came into my job complaining about child labor laws and how I'm to young to work and she had to explain to him how I am an adult, LOL. When I first got my springs put in the tech didn't say anything or try to explain to me what it was until I got tired and asked her and she explained but she blew through the answer as if she was saying "u are a child and I don't have to explain anything to you". Anytime I ask my ortho a question he always give me short answers. The bad thing is i actually heard him ask another lady(adult) patient who looked her age if she had any questions. I think next time I go I will wear a t-shirt that shows that I am an adult as well. I don't want to get rude about it but how do I let these people know I am an adult without being rude so I can get some real answers?

alpinist

#13 Post by alpinist »

You're paying him thousands of dollars. Ask whatever questions you want.

iBorg

#14 Post by iBorg »

Sorry, this is pure B.S......

I'm paying too much money not to have my questions answered.
They're screwing with my health.....they WILL answer my questions.

No, I'm not rude, just assertive in a non assertive way.

What I do is when my ortho wanders over is sit up and look her eye to eye and talk with her. I don't lay there with my mouth open and and act as if I don't care what's going on. If it screws up her schedule, they need to work out a schedule to give their patients the quality of care they are paying for.

I'm sorry if that seems aggressive but if you're not aggressive taking care of your health, no one else will be.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

PuppySmiles

#15 Post by PuppySmiles »

As awesome as I think orthodontists are, I'll bet most of us would be surprised to learn the number of patients each one might be treating at any given time at his or her practice.

How many do you think it could be?

12 chairs filled at a time. . . times perhaps 16 time-slots in an average day. . . and most patients only needing to visit the office one time every 6 to 8 weeks?

It could be hundreds!