No Pain... No moving??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Arbywhopper

No Pain... No moving??

#1 Post by Arbywhopper »

I was braced on October 7th :dance: , and from what I’ve been reading, i should be in pain. But I’m in no pain whatsoever, except for a mild headache!!!! I'm happy and worried at the same time. Does this mean my teeth aren't moving?? Will my next adjustment be more painful?? Am I being too worried??
:oops:

-Arby
Spacers: October 2, 2008
Top Braces: October 7, 2008
Sentence: 36 Months
Click the "www" for my braces story!! Progress Pic's Posted!!!

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

It doesn't mean your teeth aren't moving. The thin wires used early in treatment are quite "gentle" in action. I've heard them described as training wires. Their function is to start tipping the crowns of your teeth into alignment, but they do not move the roots of the teeth.

As you go to thicker wires, you might find you get more discomfort. But I've never had pain that a couple of Advil couldn't fix. Some people seem to get more pain than others. Maybe you're just one of the lucky ones!

pearls

#3 Post by pearls »

Hey Arby, I've nearly reached my 6 month anniversary of having braces and not once have I been in much pain. Sometimes my teeth may feel sensitive when I bite into something tough, but there is rarely a moment where I'm just sitting down thinking "Ow my teeth hurt". And trust me, I've had plenty of movement! Especially in my first month. I guess you and I are just lucky that our teeth don't give us too much pain! Believe me, you're teeth will move, and they will do so very soon! Have you put some pics up yet? I'm dying to see them!

Pearls.
Spacers in: 9/4/2008
Braces on:16/4/2008
Sentanced for: 18 months
Metal upper and lowers

Arbywhopper

#4 Post by Arbywhopper »

I hope my teeth are moving!! Thanks for the encouragement everyone!! :D
Pearls-I have the pics on my work computer, and I can't load them because of the firewall at work. I will send them to my home computer when and load them as I get home. I meant to do it last night but I had to go to the ortho and I left work early, unexpectedly. I'm biting on the molar band in the back so they put a smaller one on. But they should be there tonight for sure. :)

-Arby
Spacers: October 2, 2008
Top Braces: October 7, 2008
Sentence: 36 Months
Click the "www" for my braces story!! Progress Pic's Posted!!!

iamtheotherme

#5 Post by iamtheotherme »

Lisa65 wrote:[The starter wire's] function is to start tipping the crowns of your teeth into alignment, but they do not move the roots of the teeth.
Sorry to thread-jack, but I don't get how the crowns can move but the roots don't as well. I've heard this said before, but I just don't get the physics of how that works. Is there a good explanation of this somewhere?

platinum

#6 Post by platinum »

Your crowns can move easier because they are not inside the bone. Your crowns are pulled to right place but the roots are then tilted. Square wire straightens the the roots afterwards,

Lisa65

#7 Post by Lisa65 »

iamtheotherme

There's a good site here which Meryaten found, which explains the physics behind orthodontic tooth movement.

http://www.unc.edu/depts/appl_sci/ortho/index/