Excessive glue. Could there be any serious side effects?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vjammiez

Excessive glue. Could there be any serious side effects?

#1 Post by vjammiez »

Hello everyone,
I'm wondering if anyone else has this seemingly minor but annoying problem. Today marks exactly one week since I've been braced. I've become a manic brusher, flosser and Waterpiker.

There seems to be a lot of excess glue around the brackets on my teeth. I went to my regular dentist and the hygenist was blasting off glue like an artist making a stone carving. I can't even tell if my teeth are clean and smooth anymore! Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a problem? I know it's there I can feel it lurking around my teeth like a bad date.

I've spent my whole life taking really really good care of my teeth and my big fear is that I would take off the braces and my teeth would be a mangled (albeit straight) mess. Should I care that much about this or am I simply over reacting?
I am a rock in a sea of chaos...
[/url]

LeeLu33

#2 Post by LeeLu33 »

Hello,

I also have excess glue around my brackets, so it may be pretty common. I just got braced too, and am worrying about everything, but I really don't think it's a big deal. Just ask your ortho at your next appt. if you are still concerned. Good luck!! :lol:

jaswi

#3 Post by jaswi »

Excessive glue is nothing to worry about. If you mean the glue holding molar bands on, dont worry it will all wear off before too long. The cement holding the brackets on will be ground off when braces are removed, no problem.

vjammiez

Glue Drama

#4 Post by vjammiez »

Meryaten wrote:Do watch out though if there is a ragged and uneven edge to the borderline of the "glue" around the brackets - sometimes there can be little areas that become plaque-traps and that can cause decay if you're not very careful.

It does seems a bit ragged! Know I sound a bit frantic but in my welcome kit, there was a picture of someone who didn't take good care of thier teeth and they looked terrible when braces were taken off. I've been filled with angst ever since.
Who gets rid of it? I tried to blast it with the Waterpik, (a wonderful invention btw) but no dice. My first adjustment is on the 24th. Should I ask the ortho to check it out.

I understand the glue around the brackets will wear away but my teeth were so hard to fit that they had to redo it a few times so there's glue everywhere, even on the teeth next to the brackets. Just not sure what to do but I don't feel as frenetic as I did last night. Thanks for your current and future advice fellow metalmouths!
[/url]

vjammiez

Congratulations!

#5 Post by vjammiez »

jaswi wrote:Excessive glue is nothing to worry about. If you mean the glue holding molar bands on, dont worry it will all wear off before too long. The cement holding the brackets on will be ground off when braces are removed, no problem.
Thanks for the reassurance :D
Congratulations on having them off. I'm so far away from that I can't even see the end. How do you feel and did the time fly by or did you feel every moment of it?
[/url]