Ear clogged from inflammation in jaw joint???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sunflower99

Ear clogged from inflammation in jaw joint???

#1 Post by sunflower99 »

Hi guys,

Recently my ears have felt really clogged and at first I thought it was water that had gone in from a recent shower. But after researching some more I realized that it could/is from the inflammation of the jaw joints!

Does anyone have a remedy for this? I heard ibuprofen but anyone out there that's had similar experiences? How'd you cure this??

TumbleDryLow

#2 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I wouldn't rule out clogged ears from something like allergies or a low level sinus infection, both of which I have issues with and both give me a clogged ear feeling. Try a nasal/sinus decongestant like Sudafed. If after a few days of taking 1 tablet every 4 hours (during the day only---it is a stimulant) you still have that feeling, I'd see a doctor.

sunflower99

#3 Post by sunflower99 »

thanks! I never even thought it could be something from a sinus infection... :shock:

I'll give sudafed a shot..hopefully it works!

kittenmaisey

#4 Post by kittenmaisey »

If the stuffy sensation continues.. then it could well be your TMJ. I have suffered with this for a long time. I have kind of got used to it.. sorry I know that is not a cure! However with the myriad of other symptoms.. this one is not my worst.

Obviously.. see your Doctor, before deciding on any other treatment. You could try Hoppi candles, or Cranial Osteopathy may give some relief.
Kittenmaisey

iamtheotherme

#5 Post by iamtheotherme »

Me too, Kittenmaisey. I don't remember a time in my life when I haven't had trouble with my right ear. It feels stuffy all. the. time. :yuck: In my case, Sudafed and whatever doesn't make much difference in the day-to-day pain and stuffiness (but if I do have allergies, the Sudafed does make it feel better).

I mentioned this all to my ortho and he pooh-poohed it. He showed me a skull then pointed to why my jaw shouldn't make a difference in my ear problems. I'm not fully convinced though, because my worst orthodontic and TMJ issues are on the same side as my bad ear. I'm cautiously hopeful that as my bite corrects my ear may improve.

sunflower99

#6 Post by sunflower99 »

Thanks... the research that I've done did say something about how x-rays may not necessarily show the inflammation... so I can imagine the frustration you must have.

I'll try the sudafed and see how things progress... didn't know there were others out there that had the same experience! Thanks all for sharing.

kittenmaisey

#7 Post by kittenmaisey »

As Meryaten says.. ears are often affected by TMD, just depends on which Orthodontist you see. My ears ring and make cracking noises when I swallow. Go easy on the sudafed Guy's.. it's known to be addictive!

Also if it is caused by your TM... it wont make much difference.

Kittenmaisey

andrewp

#8 Post by andrewp »

I'm glad to read I'm not alone in this. My ears have been feeling unequalized with the left being the worst. I went to my MD this week and she said there looked to be some fluid in the left but the right looked fine. No sign of infection or anything. She said to take an antihistamine for a week and see what happens. Three days into it and not much change. I keep forgetting to ask the ortho about it but next week I'll be sure to ask. This started about three weeks into doing upper molar intrusion with TADs so the possibility for some pressure being transferred onto the eustachian tube inhibiting proper aeration has definitely come to mind. The doc said she didn't think that's it but she's seen irritation of the TMJ so maybe that's what this is.