random jaw/teeth 'crashing together' ???? hard to describe!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BracedVeryLate

random jaw/teeth 'crashing together' ???? hard to describe!

#1 Post by BracedVeryLate »

hi all,
i don't know how to describe this - but for a week or so after an adjustment a very odd thing happens. when i am talking, suddenly my teeth seem to just crash together. it's so random. i will be in the middle of a sentence, and my teeth seem to just slam together!! almost like some kind of short-lived spasm.

i feel kind of ridiculous stopping in mid sentence to say "ouch" because usually the inside of my cheek has taken the brunt of the force.

am I crazy??

TheNewEmperor

#2 Post by TheNewEmperor »

yup, happens to me too...and you're right, it generally is just after an adjustment....it kinda feels like it's my teeth fighting getting put in their proper position....as i described it in another post, it's like a wild horse bucking while it is being tamed and trained.

when the teeth clash together it is yaaaaaaaaaawch

badbite

#3 Post by badbite »

I have always had that. I thought is was part of my TMD.

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
SARPE on Jan 11, 2008 expanded 7 mm
RPE out on May 14, 2008

Grutty

#4 Post by Grutty »

That just happened to me for the first time a few days ago. I had spacers put in a few days before, so my teeth had shifted a lot. I was working quietly at my desk, when all of a sudden my teeth slammed together, ow! It did feel like some sort of spasm. Weird!

I have always done that kind of thing while sleeping, as part of my grinding and clenching routine, but never while awake.

TumbleDryLow

#5 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Yes! This happens to me too and the worst part is that it only seems to affect my front incisors. Ow, ow ow! It happened a lot at first. When I first got my braces I couldn't talk without clanging my front teeth together. Thankfully it happens much less now. For awhile I really did think I was going to chip a tooth.

iamtheotherme

#6 Post by iamtheotherme »

Happens to me all the time! I used to do this before braces, but now my teeth smack together because I have no idea where they are in relation to one another anymore.

I smiled in the mirror yesterday, saw this weird white thing in my mouth, and went "Holy crap! What is that?!?!" It was my canine now in its proper spot, filling in the weird open bite spot I'd had for most of my life. Heh.

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

Also happened to me! :ouch:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

BracedVeryLate

#8 Post by BracedVeryLate »

Well, thanks all.
Once again, I am not crazy.
I feel like I ask my ortho five thousand questions every time I go! I seem like the only one in there gabbing and asking questions. I guess I just love information!

jxds

#9 Post by jxds »

Wow, I got the same thing! I'm not crazy, either!

lueyfufu

#10 Post by lueyfufu »

Wow, I thought that just happened to me because I'm so clumsy and spastic. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. :)
Lower braces: 7/1/08
Expander installed: 7/8/08
SARPE: 7/15/08
First adjustment for lowers: 8/5/08
Expander tied: 8/11/08
Upper braces: 8/28/08
Lefort I & BSSO: 1/8/13

skyhawk

#11 Post by skyhawk »

My teeth will clench so hard, it will wake me up out of a sound sleep. It happened just last night, actually. I never remember it happening before braces, but I'm at the point now where my bite is more messed up than it was pre-braces (ortho said he'd have to make it worse before it got better). I have an open bite in a lot of places I didn't have it before, so I'm wondering if it's just my brain trying to make my molars meet like they used to.

I've already popped one of the brackets off my molar twice, both times in the middle of the night. My ortho joked that if I did it again, he'd pull the tooth. :)
My thread

Braced 10 Apr 08
Next adjustment 9 Apr 09

sunflower99

#12 Post by sunflower99 »

No you're not crazy! :)

This has happened to me before while I was talking, but now it's moved on to happening during sleep! I will wake up because my teeth come crashing down but I've found that these are all phases. Your teeth will continue to move and if you wear elastics I think that contributes to this as well.

Don't worry though, you're going to be fine!

jackjack

#13 Post by jackjack »

oh yeah that happens to me too! its weird...
on another note have any of u realized how when ur really cold and ur teeth start to chatter together...i feel like its so hard to control and it feels wierd when the teeth touch....doesnt feel the same as prebraces

jackjack

#14 Post by jackjack »

on another note have any of u realized how when ur really cold and ur teeth start to chatter together...i feel like its so hard to control and it feels wierd when the teeth touch....doesnt feel the same as prebraces

jackjack

#15 Post by jackjack »