So like...what is this thing?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AngelRuse

So like...what is this thing?

#1 Post by AngelRuse »

I bit off one of my back brackets in my sleep. :lol: So in exchange for replacing the bracket and archwire, I got a bracket...and two of these suckers. Is there like a proper name for it? I thought I heard the word spacers used, but aren't those those little balls (they come in colors like ligs)?

Surprisingly, the metal digging into my gum doesn't hurt...I guess it isn't "digging" per se, but yeah. But dang it hurt when she put it on. :shock:

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

yikes!

Looks like a closing loop to my non professional eye.

Is it part of the arch wire? It looks like it from here.

Did you take this picture at the orthodontist? I see rubber gloves on those fingers. I never thought to do this while I was in treatment, what a great idea!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

DireWire

#3 Post by DireWire »

Well, it certainly is a loop. I have the pleasure of having such loops on the upper and lower arch, close to the canines, i.e. 4 in total. I had them for almost all the time with almost all my wires.

This board always calls them closing loops, but I have (contrary to you) no gaps to close, so I'm not sure whether I would use that name. My ortho calls them loops and says they interrupt the forces of the wire so you can move specific teeth with more precision. Pending their shape, they obviously can push or pull teeth, so they are also well suited to close gaps.

Of course, they also can poke into your lips or gum and be uncomfortable. They also add emphasis to your wire... so while they help to do the job (quicker), they are also a pain in the mouth, so to speak ;)

DireWire
Bite plate gone for good after @3 mths

AngelRuse

#4 Post by AngelRuse »

Thanks guys! :lol: Gloves...LOL. No, no. Those are just my pastie white fingers...I am rather pale. :wink: Maybe the blurriness cause they were closer to to the camera lens makes it look like gloves. :lol: Btw, Jennie, your pictures are an amazing transformation! :shock: :D Beautiful!

Closing loops, huh? I'm still kinda new to all this terminology. They're not "attached" exactly, as much as they are the wire...it's like if they took a straight wire and made that little loop out of the end before inserting the last little bit into the bracket right there. Like if I wanted to be a jerk I could stick my fingernail in between the top parts of the loop and pry it apart to loosen it. I don't have anything on my four front teeth.

Thanks, DireWire, for explaining what they do...that's very interesting and seems logical since the teeth they're attached to are very stubborn indeed...so maybe they need that precision coaxing. Particularly the one pictured below with the loop...it just doesn't want to move. :x Well, hopefully these loops will do the trick.

And yes...a pain in the mouth. :wink: That's highly accurate...especially when I use that little brush thinger on a stick to get in between to clean...moving the loops aggravates. :yikes:

lueyfufu

#5 Post by lueyfufu »

The one I have must be a double closing loop. My ortho twisted my upper archwire into a uterus-shaped set of loops that's in the gap between my two top front teeth. Must be to close the gap caused by my expander.

It's crazy that such a little thing can make such a huge difference. :)
Lower braces: 7/1/08
Expander installed: 7/8/08
SARPE: 7/15/08
First adjustment for lowers: 8/5/08
Expander tied: 8/11/08
Upper braces: 8/28/08
Lefort I & BSSO: 1/8/13