Question: Extraction of ONLY Upper 2 Bicuspids for Overjet?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MikeUSAF

Question: Extraction of ONLY Upper 2 Bicuspids for Overjet?

#1 Post by MikeUSAF » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:57 am

I am a 32 year old male who is about 3 months into a 20 month Damon treatment and have a 13mm overjet. My orthodontist attempted headgear with me but it makes me neurotic, is painful to wear and inhibits sleep. He has suggested extracting the upper 2 bicuspids to treat the overjet without headgear. My lower teeth are aligning just fine without any extractions however I am concerned about how well my teeth and bite will line up with the different number of teeth on the top and bottom of my mouth. My dentist wants to pull the four first bicuspids, 2 on top and 2 on the bottom, because he also has concerns about the bite alignment with the different number of teeth.

Has anyone had just the top two bicuspid teeth extracted for the treatement of an overjet or is aware of such a treatment? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Flaka

#2 Post by Flaka » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:31 am

Sorry, I am not help with this subject, but I also wonder the same thing. If you have to get 2 bottom teeth extracted, does it mean they absolutely have to extract the top 2 as well or viceversa?

I hope you get your answer :)

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:56 am

It's not such a common extraction pattern as taking all 4 bicuspids out, but the idea behind extracting uppers only is to leave the molars as they are, in a stable class II occlusion. Then extraction of just the upper bicuspids will allow the cuspids (canines) to settle into a class I position (with the upper canines just behind the lowers).

If your lower teeth are well aligned and in a good position, extracting your lower premolars as well, could make your teeth look too far back in your mouth when done.

You shouldn't have bite issues with purely upper extractions. Your molars will pretty well stay put where they are now, and just the front 6 top teeth will come back into the extraction gap.

If you're unsure, then maybe seek another opinion. But I'd trust my orthodontist's opinion over my dentist's. He's the expert.

Flaka

#4 Post by Flaka » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:33 am

What if its the other way around? I am missing a lower biscuspi and i still have a baby pre-molar that will have to be extracted on the other side. So., I will have 2 lower bi-cuspid spaces, one on each side but I do have all of my teeth on my upper jaw. Does that mean that in order to have a proper bite, i will have to get my 2 upper bi-cuspids extracted?

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:24 am

Flaka, my post was mainly for Mike, who has a 1/2 inch overjet but is not able to tolerate headgear to bring his upper teeth back to a class I. So in his ortho's opinion the best solution is to camouflage the overjet and class II by extracting upper teeth to make space, and just bringing the upper front ones back.

Extracting both upper and lower bicuspids might enable the ortho to pull his lower molars forward, but then there also has to be a way of pulling the uppers back via headgear or similar, to achieve class I molars.

I had a quick look at your posts and pics, but your teeth are not similar to what Mike has described. Your ortho is the best one to advise you on what he intends to do about closing your gaps. Didn't you mention something about implants in another post? Sorry I can't help. :(

Flaka

#6 Post by Flaka » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:17 pm

Thanks Lisa. That's what happens when you start asking questions in someone else's question :oops:

MikeUSAF

Re: Question: Extraction of ONLY Upper 2 Bicuspids for Overj

#7 Post by MikeUSAF » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:54 am

Update:

I am having 2 upper bicuspid extractions tomorrow morning.

Wish me luck!

Mike

bracesscared

hope this helps

#8 Post by bracesscared » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:09 pm

I have about 7 mm overjet . I have had 2 consultations and both suggested extraction of upper first bicuspids and linguals on top and botton for about 24 months or so. I havent decided yet, becasue I am really scared of extractions So i have booked couple more consultations.

drrick

#9 Post by drrick » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:18 pm

2 bicuspid ext is done. The teeth will still line up in the back.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

gracey82

#10 Post by gracey82 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:52 pm

How do you meansure how many mm that your teeth overjet?
And how many mm of overjet is considered normal?
Where do you meansure you teeth from?

My orthon never told me about the measurements. Or any technical terms or which classification I belongs to?

VA5

Re: Question: Extraction of ONLY Upper 2 Bicuspids for Overj

#11 Post by VA5 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:26 am

MikeUSAF wrote:I am a 32 year old male who is about 3 months into a 20 month Damon treatment and have a 13mm overjet. My orthodontist attempted headgear with me but it makes me neurotic, is painful to wear and inhibits sleep. He has suggested extracting the upper 2 bicuspids to treat the overjet without headgear. My lower teeth are aligning just fine without any extractions however I am concerned about how well my teeth and bite will line up with the different number of teeth on the top and bottom of my mouth. My dentist wants to pull the four first bicuspids, 2 on top and 2 on the bottom, because he also has concerns about the bite alignment with the different number of teeth.

Has anyone had just the top two bicuspid teeth extracted for the treatement of an overjet or is aware of such a treatment? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.
I got all 4 extracted. If I got only the top then the bottom ones wouldn't align up. Yours might be a special situation but I think the tendency is to remove all 4 for overjet problems.