Waiting Takes FOREVER!!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Arbywhopper

Waiting Takes FOREVER!!!!

#1 Post by Arbywhopper »

So my next consultation is in 8 days. It feels like its taking FOREVER!!! I want to get this started so I don't back out again!! I've changed my mind so much in the past even though I know this is what I need and what I want. I want straight teeth more than anything and I want a pretty smile. I just feel like it will never come. And I really don't want to change my mind about it. My husband is being very supportive about this and he is pushing me to get it done. (But even if I don't he still says I’m beautiful.) On the other hand I have my mother who says that I don't need braces and it is a waste of time and money. From what the ortho says if I don't fix my bit in the next 5 years then I will ruin my teeth so bad that I will just have to get dentures, and I'm only 20. But its not her money and she doesn't have to live with my smile. Right?? Am i just being stuck up about this?? Now I'm doubting myself again!! Grrr!!! *cry* :(
Spacers: October 2, 2008
Top Braces: October 7, 2008
Sentence: 36 Months
Click the "www" for my braces story!! Progress Pic's Posted!!!

Lela

#2 Post by Lela »

Listen to your dentist/orthodontist.

I could have saved myself some pain and money if I would have gone sooner. A healthy mouth really does impact your overall health so this is not merely cosmetic.

I'd much rather spend my money on braces then dentures :wink:
Fully braced 9-02-08
Braces off 9-21-09

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Do you really want to be keeping your teeth in a glass next to your bed from the age of 30 or so? You're married now, so what your mum thinks is really immaterial. There could be an element of guilt there too, that she didn't get your teeth sorted for you when you were a child.

Anyhow, spend the week
a) eating all your favourite hard/sticky/chewy/crunchy foods, maybe have yourself a nice chewy steak, if that's your thing
b) stock up on soft foods for your first post-bracing days and plan some menus
c) get your oral hygiene tip-top and lay in some extra floss and mouthwash and some pain-killers just in case.

The time will soon pass.

LeeLu33

#4 Post by LeeLu33 »

Listen to Lela and Lisa. My mom is in dentures now, and I do NOT want to go through what she is experiencing. My teeth are only slightly crooked, but I want to get them fixed so I can have healthy teeth, a nice smile, and a good bite. As far as waiting goes, just do it!!! I just got braced last week, but have been wanting to do it for a year now. I can't help thinking, if I had just committed to it then, I would be halfway finished by now. Do it for yourself, and do not listen to negative comments. Good luck!!! :lol:

catfish

#5 Post by catfish »

Yes, GO GO GO! And be confident in your decision! That will stop a lot of the second guessing.

You will not be sorry you fixed your bite and improved your smile. What could possibly be wrong with that?

And lucky you for having a supportive hubby. There are a few folks here who aren't that lucky (not me thank goodness, my hubby is totally supportive). Don't let one negative opinion cast doubt on your decision.
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

Arbywhopper

#6 Post by Arbywhopper »

Thank you all for you uplifting comments!! Since I posted this I’ve have been going back and forth with this. But this morning when I woke up and I was in extreme pain because since I have a deep under bite and I grind and clench my teeth the roof of my mouth was so sore!!! I can't wait to go and see if there is some relief that he can give me, since mouth guards don't work. (I can't breathe with them in, and they are very uncomfortable!) So I'm hoping for relief, and I'm not going to back out this time. Thank you again!! I just wanted to let you all know that I am determined to go through with it!!

LeeLu33

#7 Post by LeeLu33 »

Good for you!! You will not regret it. I am already glad that I finally went through with mine. Keep us posted!!! :lol:

PfectPitch

#8 Post by PfectPitch »

Arby: I had a very deep bite, too, and my bottom teeth were starting to wear down and wear unevenly. You can't reverse that damage, only stop it, and the only way was to get my whole bite fixed via braces. Believe it or not, the deep bite part itself was fixed in only 6-7 months. Then the work started on the rest of the mouth to get the teeth where they should be. If you fix it now, you will likely have fewer problems correcting the entire bite that's been thrown off by the deep bite. If you wait, it's just going to get worse. Go, and do not look back!

Toni

#9 Post by Toni »

Get the braces!
Everyone here has already made the point quite well that you need to do what is best for your teeth.

I'm 44 and I had several people in my family ask me why I would spend so much money to get braces so late in life. Late in life?! Geez, I'm not even halfway through! :roll:

Anyway tell your mother what I told people, my mouth, my decision and we no longer live in the dark ages, dentures are not the answer.
**Brace Day was September 22 - Ouch!**
**Member of the AW TADA club**

roost22

#10 Post by roost22 »

Arbywhopper wrote: Thank you all for you uplifting comments!! Since I posted this I’ve have been going back and forth with this. But this morning when I woke up and I was in extreme pain because since I have a deep under bite and I grind and clench my teeth the roof of my mouth was so sore!!! I can't wait to go and see if there is some relief that he can give me, since mouth guards don't work. (I can't breathe with them in, and they are very uncomfortable!) So I'm hoping for relief, and I'm not going to back out this time. Thank you again!! I just wanted to let you all know that I am determined to go through with it!!
I don't have them YET, but I don't think braces are very "comfortable" either. So my my wife says at 9 months in.

Arbywhopper

#11 Post by Arbywhopper »

I don't think they will be comfortable at all!!! What I'm hoping for is relief from the deep overbite. Its killing the roof of my mouth!! So much so that i called the ortho and the regular dentist and there was nothing either of them could do. So in the near future I'm hoping for relief from that with the help of the braces.

catfish

#12 Post by catfish »

I agree with Meryaten, braces really aren't that bad. There are times when they hurt a bit, like after some adjustments, but that really is a small percentage of the time.

It's TOTALLY worth it!
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

platinum

#13 Post by platinum »

I got braces because of a deep overbite. I had problems you described before. I will get my braces off soon.

The change has been remarkable!

Arbywhopper

#14 Post by Arbywhopper »

I just wish there was something i could do for some relief for right now, i can barley sleep ti hurts so bad!! ( I know i'm a big baby) It just feels like the roof of my mouth is extreamly raw!!! I can't wait for Wed.