Newbie here...braces by the end of the month

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dodgedarlin

Newbie here...braces by the end of the month

#1 Post by dodgedarlin »

Well hey yall, names Danielle & I'm quite a newbie here. I'm going to start off by saying that on Sept 30 I go in for my last consultation and even perhaps getting my braces on that day. For soooo long I've HATED my teeth, they are horribly overcrowded and when I was younger I was never a candidate for braces because I have hemophilia(bleeding disorder) and no ortho would touch me. But now I am 19 yrs old and after much debating have finally decided 1-2 yrs of braces will be worth the HUGE improvement in my self esteem. Im not a vain person but I am an attractive girl, I'm in a a 4 yr relationship with my boyfriend whom I live with and we do plan on getting married one day and I VOW to have a beautiful smile by then...I skipped all my HS dances because of not wanting to smile...even my senior pictures!
Ive already had my first 2 consultations. The very first one my ortho(his website is straightsmiles.com) was first off WONDERFUL! He agreed of course that I would need braces but also to my dismay was the fact that Id need a HERBST APPLIANCE...not too thrilled on that but he said we could try just the braces first and that may correct some of the problem of my lower jaw not being forward enough.
Just last week I went in for all my xrays, molds and pictures. When I saw the pictures they took of my teeth I was so embarassed.
So Sept 30 is when I go in for the final sitdown, arrangements and money deals and he said if everything is all worked out I could get braced that day!!!
Also, I'm getting the Damon Braces which after researching them i am quite excited about...my ortho loves them too, he doesnt even offer the regular metal braces anymore because hes had such a good experience over the past 6 yrs with the damon.

So here I am 19, actually EXCITED to get braces....and paying for it all by myself without the help of insurance or parents! yay for me!

Also, anyone wanna help a poor girl out with how to get one of those cute little timers and such?

holyjoe

#2 Post by holyjoe »

Welcome aboard. I'm 19 as well, but I'm about to get mine off next week. I have the Damon's and I have no complaints. I'm going to be so happy once I get these shackles off my teeth though, haha.

dodgedarlin

#3 Post by dodgedarlin »

Oooh, another Damon Bracer! Now I'm sure my ortho will fe me in more on our last consultation appt but with Damons, can you get ceramic or clear brackets? I've researched all over and see some people sayings yes, others no and Im just curious...either way Id probably stick with the damon as extraction and expanders are out of the quetstion for me due to my bleeding disorder

MariaMetalMouth

#4 Post by MariaMetalMouth »

Good for you girl - good luck. I had mine removed today - getting braces is one of the best decisions I have made (I'm almost 21). You certainly won't regret it. :D
Braced: 29th March 2006
Estimated time 18 months!

Megan11

#5 Post by Megan11 »

I am also 19, and also paying for my braces sans insurance and "parental" help, SO.. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

Lucky for you, you are in a serious relationship. Try being almost 20 and single. ekk not fun. I feel like every guy I meet is STARING at my braces, but in reality its mostly all in my head.

I have Damons as well. I haven't heard of all clear damons. The "clear" ones that I have on my first 6 (Damon 3's) are less noticeable than the regular Damon's but not anywhere near "clear". However, they are not too bad.

Good luck with week one! I had my doubts during that week, but it gets better even though its hard to imagine.

KARESS

#6 Post by KARESS »

Good Luck with everything.
Im 21
All metal braces ..theyre okay
I get them off in 1 or 2 months.

Banded: January. 18th, 2007
De-Banding: Nov. 6th, 2008!
& Nov. 13th, 2008 ; pics soon.

Retainers
Lower Bonded Retainer
Olive Green:
Lower Hawley Retainer
Upper Hawley Retainer

Ayee12

#7 Post by Ayee12 »

Have you heard of the in-ovation-c braces? I believe they are all clear, so unlike the damon's you can't see the clip. They are also available in all metal too. I am considering getting them depending on the cost.

Danielle

#8 Post by Danielle »

Hi Danielle and welcome! I'm pretty sure there's a part of the forum dedicated to how to add a ticker to your signature. Good luck.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present