PLease help - Will my incisors "sink" into my jaw?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ErgMan

PLease help - Will my incisors "sink" into my jaw?

#1 Post by ErgMan »

Sorry, but I am unable to post a pic - I will try and describe as best as I can.

I have a lower fixed brace, approx 10 months into a 15 month treatment. My overcrowding has improved significantly, however my incisors appear to be "higher up" that surrounding teeth. I would like them to be straight or near straight with the remainder (or not too high above the canines).

My archwire is curved upwards slightly (as i look at it face on, it is shaped like a squashed, elongated letter "n" - nearly horizontal but not quite).

I *think* the current position of the archwire suggest that the incisors will be pushed down into the jaw.

My question is - can incisor teeth be pushed down into the jaw??

Thanks
ErgMan

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Brackets are placed such that once levelling is complete, the archwire will end up straight. Once your crowding is sorted out, you'll probably get stronger wires, which will help level things out.

pearls

#3 Post by pearls »

At my latest adjustment my ortho made some bends in my lower archwire. One bend I assume is to make one of my lower canines taller, and the other i'm guessing (hoping) to make it shorter. I have pics up showing the bends, you can click on my 'www' at the bottom of this post to see if yours is similar. You'll see the pic because it has arrows drawn on it.

pearls
Spacers in: 9/4/2008
Braces on:16/4/2008
Sentanced for: 18 months
Metal upper and lowers

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

yep, they can push those teeth down!!!

I have had over a year those wires that push incissors and canines down.
I have also that kind wire on my uppers, which pushes my front teeth upwards. It goes pretty slowly though... They call those wires with bends "bite opening wire.

ErgMan

#5 Post by ErgMan »

Thanks for the replies - I'm a lot happier now.

ErgMan