Tells Us Why Are U Grateful For Braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Erikab1033

Tells Us Why Are U Grateful For Braces?

#1 Post by Erikab1033 »

I am so glad someone posted a topic on being tired of our braces and so many people can relate. I have worn braces for 3 1/2 years, they should have been removed december of 07' but i had some financial problems so i missed out on almost 2 years of adjustments. Thats horrible I know but I got back on track november 07' and hoping for a deband date for the end of this year or early next year. The thing that makes me angry about braces is knowing that they could have been taken off last year but I also try to understand that it wasnt my fault and out of my control. I dont hate having braces but i'm just a very impatient person and I expect results overnight. I've had cankers and blisters and all that comes along with being a brace face and now they dont bother me because i just expect these things. I wont tell anyone to "hang in there and imagine your smile when you're done" because I hate that quote because it just makes me more depressed but what I will suggest is to keep a before braces photo of yourself in your wallet, purse, car or phone and everytime u get upset about having braces take a look back at the horrible photo and look how far you've come and what your teeth could still look like and hopefully that will help you cope with braces. I had a ugly gap in my front teeth and I refuse to go back to having that gap. so I'm grateful for my braces because they got rid of my gap. We've expressed why we sometimes hate our braces so now why are u grateful for them?

Here's my horrible photo before braces and why i'm so grateful now

Here's how far I've come with braces, my gums are so much more healthier, it hardly doesnt look like the same smile

Think I like the picture with braces awhole lot better. lol

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

I'm grateful for having braces because it made my teeth straighter and gave me a better bite. I also have met the nicest people in my orthodontist's office - this was one of the reasons I enjoyed having braces - they were such a kind and compassionate group of people. I know taking this step had been a big relief for me because I had been thinking about it for years and making this decision had made me so happy and proud of myself :) .

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

TheNewEmperor

#3 Post by TheNewEmperor »

I'm still a newbie but I'll play the game: I'm grateful for my braces because I no longer have to feel ashamed about my teeth...the other day my dentist asked me how I was finding the braces and I replied 'I love my braces!' and he laughed and said, 'no you don't' but all I could say was, 'yes, I honestly do'.

How lucky am I too that I'm in a financial position to be able to undertake having braces....there are so many people that don't even have a full tummy at night and here I have the LUXURY of being able to fix my bite problems. Thank you God!

mary.

thanks for posting this, it's great

#4 Post by mary. »

I am grateful for my braces because:

- It is a great thing that I am doing for myself, for appearance and health reasons, and I will benefit for many many years.

- I am smiling more now than ever, and that will only increase. I love showing my smile now. My attitude seems to have improved.

- It was a huge fear that I tackled. I was so scared to get braces for so many years, and I didn't do well in dental/medical offices. All has gone so smoothly. I am so proud of myself and feel that I can easily tackle other fears.

I'm also grateful for my orthodontist, dentist and the staff at those offices - they are all just wonderful

Erikab1033

#5 Post by Erikab1033 »

TheNewEmperor,
You made a really good point about being able to financially afford braces, that is definitely sometime to be grateful for. When I think of all the people who can't financially afford to fix their smiles, it makes me want to stop complaining about my braces. I have two friends, one who works with me wants braces but cant afford them but I couldn't understand why she wanted them when I never noticed her teeth were crooked until she showed me her bottom teeth, she said that when she smiles she does this trick with her bottom lip so she only shows her top teeth since they are straight. I remember when I had my gap before braces and how I tried to hide it but after I got tired of doing that I make an appointment to fix that problem. No u shouldn't change how u look because of what other people think but I feel like I'm doing it for me to better myself. I wouldn't want to keep hiding my teeth so I took action. I'm so grateful for the inventor of braces and the people who continue to improve his/her creation.

Erikab1033

#6 Post by Erikab1033 »

Double post(sorry)

GiovanntiLawing

#7 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

The main reason why I am grateful for braces is that the improved my smile as well as my bite.

But what I think I am most grateful for is the fact that my parents were able to afford them the first time ten years ago (w/4 other kids, whom all of which had braces).

This time around, I'm grateful that I have a well enough paying job to afford them myself in order to have them put back on a second time.

So I don't think im so much grateful for the braces, im much more grateful at the fact that God blessed my parents and myself with a well enough paying job to afford them. Let's face it, they are very very very expensive. That 6000.00 could have been 4 mortgage payments!!!

I'm only 26, so going forward, I will definately maneuver things a little bit differently for when I do have kids. Save early, or make them get them early enough to where benefits can pay for a chunk of the cost!

Till this day, I don't see how my parents did it! For that, Im thankful and grateful
Giovannti. 26 years old with braces..

http://bracesandthecity.blogspot.com/

2nd Time w/Braces
Metal-First time 10 years ago
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

Next Adjustment 11/25/2008

Word of advice: WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!

dooles

#8 Post by dooles »

Erikab1033, great topic. Thanks for posting! Your teeth look great and I think you have a great outlook about this. :)

I think about this all the time, and I have to say I am grateful for my braces because, like you, I had struggled financially and suffered with a smile I hated because I couldn't afford braces. Now that I have them I can hardly believe it (I am 37 years old and have wanted braces for over 20 years).

Having the braces, as much of a pain as they are sometimes (and they have been very pain-free so far), is a sign that my life is stabilizing overall, and that a long-awaited dream (a smile I could feel proud of) is now going to be a reality. Pretty sweet! :dance:

The irony is that I feel so much more self-confident now that I have them, and people are responding to this very positively. I've only had these things on for under two months and I already feel like they are as much a part of me as my hair or eyes.

Cheers,
Dooles
I caffeine, therefore I am...

markGl

#9 Post by markGl »

they're a big boost to my selfesteem! makes me want to smile again btw.. erika. i love that you highlighted the broccili!! i always have some sort of matter wrapped around my braces.. wouldnt surprise me to wake up and find a buick in there one day :crazy: