So tired of people's comments

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

my december

So tired of people's comments

#1 Post by my december »

Really, I guess I should be flattered by people's comments, but I'm not. In fact, I'm just plain irritated about it.

I'm slowly starting to let people around me know I'm getting braces. I was waiting until I got through some consults and was sure I was doing it. Now that the big deal is quickly approaching though, I figured I ought to tell those close to me. :) I'm excited about it.

But really, I'm getting tired of hearing people ask, "Why would you do that? Your teeth look fine." or "Are they really bad enough to spend that much money on?" or such.

They ARE bad. My bite is terrible. They're visibly crooked and crowded. I know it's meant with good intentions, but goodness, just support this decision, don't question why.
Countdown to Brace Day!

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Try to ignore the remarks. It's possible that the people making them would like to fix their teeth as well.

And perhaps refrain from telling any more people until the braces go on.

saycheeese

#3 Post by saycheeese »

Yeah I agree, just ignore ignorant, pointless remarks.
I keep hearing the same comments like 'why did you get braces for??' or 'You don't need braces!' when its really obvious that I have bad teeth and really DO need braces. The one I hate the most is 'why didn't you get them when you were younger?' :x and just the other day, a friend who saw my braces for the first time said "eww" :roll:
But I honestly couldn't care less, and its true most people who make such remarks have worst teeth than I do and need braces themselves, so whatever! :D

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

When I made the decision to proceed with orthodontic treatment, I didn't tell anybody. Of course, when I got the braces, I got a few of the same questions, but, that will stop after a couple weeks. It was interesting, I didn't get alot of comments - I think some people felt that if I didn't say something about them ahead of time, they shouldn't either.

Just ignore the comments that you don't want to hear and be proud of yourself for taking the important step of improving the health of your teeth and bite.

Good luck with your ortho treatment.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

PuppySmiles

#5 Post by PuppySmiles »

Oooh, I hate that!

Yes, it's hard but you must be forgiving. Not all of our bite and alignment problems are obvious to the casual observer.

I was recently describing the orthognathic surgery that will be necessary to correct my bite, to a family member, who said, "oh, so it's just cosmetic then."

Uh. Noooo, you have missed the point here. My bite is shaped like a wedge, with my back teeth doing all of the work. If it's left without correction, the back ones will wear down and eventually crack out of my head.

But people don't always get it.

We have to be as graceful as possible, and try to forgive silly remarks. :)

iBorg

#6 Post by iBorg »

When it's all said and done.....they are YOUR teeth with the orthodontics being paid for from YOUR pocket. It is Your business and not theirs. My Mum questioned why I was doing this. My sister's comment was "Why would you want to do that?" If you really want to be able to respond, answer that question for yourself and decide if it's their business. If it is, tell them about it. If not, just do it without concern about their opinion.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

karencoutts

#7 Post by karencoutts »

You are going through the exact same thing that I am going through. Here is a link to a thread to a similar question I had:

viewtopic.php?t=27403&highlight=

I hope the link works. There are some good retorts and useful comments there about how to deal with unsupportive folks.

Hang in there. I'm sorry you have to deal with those unhelpful comments.

TheNewEmperor

#8 Post by TheNewEmperor »

Seriously - don't tell people...it is NONE of their business...keep your business to yourself and then, once you have the braces on, you'll find that you'll get supportive comments rather than this rubbish you're getting said to you right now.

browneyedgrl

#9 Post by browneyedgrl »

I told three of my friends that I was contemplating orthodontia, one who I worked with who was undergoing gum surgery and is probably going to undergo ortho next year, and girlfriend who wore braces for many years and had jaw surgery.

I told none of my family members, none of my co-workers, and the majority of my friends. Believe me I got plenty of comments, why did you get braces, your teeth are straight? People don't realize that a good bite is important as well. I had relaspe and my bite on one side was a class 3. I don't regret my decision. I'm almost 8 months through a 12 month sentence and I'm really pleased with the result.

This is your decision, it's no one's business!

Good luck!
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

jennielee81

#10 Post by jennielee81 »

People tend to say, "why would you do that, your teeth aren't bad." and similar comments because if they said, "Thank goodness! Your teeth are awful!!" :cry: it would be rude and upsetting.

I only told my best friends and family. They either said I didn't need them (which I did, see pix below) or said, "wow, that's great". Which bothered me, too. Since I figured they were thinking that it was about time I did something.

Basically don't tell anyone else!!!! People really don't know what to say so they are bound to say the wrong thing.

Best wishes to you!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Brahma

#11 Post by Brahma »

Hallo,

I do agree as well. It´s really nothing others can judge about. But it often really annoyes me if people imply that it´s useless what I am working on, no matter what it is- and no matter that they are just thoughtless.

I now refuse telling anybody, because the most irritating comments I heard where like "Why are you unable to take yourself the way you are? You should better consult a psychologist and admitt your real problems." :shock:
That really gave me a sleepless night, I can tell you. *lol*
I think that´s really sly, because it doesn´t show at first that the other is just jealous or something because all of the attention ist on you at once. :oops:

greetz,
Brahma

jennandtonic

#12 Post by jennandtonic »

Towards the beginning of my treatment I had A LOT of people say things like 'won't you be glad to get those off?' Hahaha, little did I know it's been more than 2 years later and they're still on!

Since then I've gotten mostly great comments from people who say nice things--like 'It's completely worth it!' And 'You'll have to show me before and after pictures!'

It doesn't bother me, honestly. People would say 'you don't need them' because they think it's being polite; I obviously needed them though.

Just let it roll off you; you're doing the right thing and you know it, so that is all that matters!

KARESS

#13 Post by KARESS »

I didnt tell a lot of people.
When I got them people were like
"whats in your mouth" :?
lol.

"nothing" :shock:

Banded: January. 18th, 2007
De-Banding: Nov. 6th, 2008!
& Nov. 13th, 2008 ; pics soon.

Retainers
Lower Bonded Retainer
Olive Green:
Lower Hawley Retainer
Upper Hawley Retainer

*melissa*

Re: So tired of people's comments

#14 Post by *melissa* »

my december wrote:goodness, just support this decision, don't question why.
omg, i totally went thru the same thing. its very annoying!!
people are soo niave about the importance of having a good bite and straight teeth. :shock:

Toni

#15 Post by Toni »

I'm going through this now. I'm 44 and have always needed braces though my teeth don't look very crooked. But I have 2 baby teeth (molars) that need to come out and my ortho is going to move my other molars forward to fill the holes and fix all of the other problems at the same time. So now that I'm set up to get my braces on Oct 8th I've told a few people, mostly family because I am excited and all I hear is "why don't you just get implants or bridges, they're cheaper" or they say "you're going to spend all that money at your age?"
I thought that they would be excited for me, well maybe not excited but at least supportive. So far my husband has been my only cheerleader and truthfully I guess that's more than enough.
I say this, ignore the naysayers who don't understand. It's your mouth, you don't need to explain anything. They don't walk up to someone that had breast implants and ask why...or do they? :shock: