Do you use a Carriere Distalizer

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

karencoutts

Do you use a Carriere Distalizer

#1 Post by karencoutts »

Anyone with any personal experience with the Carriere Distalizer? Please tell me about your experience.

http://www.classoneorthodontics.com/distalizer.php

My internet search has turned up noone with personal experience (googled "Carriere distalizer", and only came up with papers and promotional materials by the author and the company). From these materials, it looks like some kind of miracle device that reduces Class II to Class I in 2-3 months!!!

Thank you!

suetemi

#2 Post by suetemi »

No personal experience to speak of but I'm pretty sure it's used for treatment in children and adolescents. I don't know if it can be used for adults or not. I do know that my my orthodontist uses this device as one of the testimonials published on their site is from him.

karencoutts

#3 Post by karencoutts »

Thanks, suetemi, for your help. I also had the impression that the distalizer was only used on adolescents and children. I did Google a reference to an ortho who tried the Carriere distalizer on an adult and it "failed", whatever that means.

I went in today to take my impressions, photos, and x-rays. I asked the ortho about the use of distalizers in adults and he said that the Carriere distalizer was designed for use in adults! I noticed on the Carriere website that those six or so case studies don't include anyone older than 16, except for one "mature female" with age unspecified. The ortho also noted that in 2006, the Carriere distalizer was the "new product of the year", this confirmed by my research.

I have three more appointments scheduled, the last on September 30. That is the proposed date for the distalizers to be placed on my teeth. He expects the distalizers will be in place for six months. I did not realize that the distalizers also involve placement of a lingual arch, looped around molars for anchors, as well as the dreaded elastics. After my Class II is reduced to a Class I, then the braces will finally go on.

For the reference of others who may be researching Carriere distalizers in the future, here is the order of treatment:

1. impressions and x-rays are taken;
2. two weeks later, spacers are inserted;
3. one week later, lingual arch is placed; and
4. one week later, distalizers are bonded to the teeth.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

I thought that too, Meryaten. The Carriere rods themselves are inert apart from that little swivel joint on the end. They don't actually push the molars back. That must be accomplished by the class II elastics, and the lingual arch will prevent corresponding forward movement of the lower teeth, thereby transferring most of the elastic force to the uppers.

One thing which occurred to me when I saw this was that Karen (and her ortho of course :D) need to watch out for the development of an anterior open bite, which is a potential pitfall of long term wear of class II elastics especially if your overbite is not large to begin with - look what happened to Clo!

I'm not scaremongering Karen BTW, just offering my thoughts an observations after reading about these things. I hope they do a great job for you.

karencoutts

#5 Post by karencoutts »

Thanks for the advice, Meryaten and Lisa65. I hate to be a guinea pig, but this technology looks promising and hopefully will not be disastrous.

Yes, the lingual arch is on the lowers and works exactly as you surmised. I will definitely keep everyone posted so there is at least one person on the Web with personal experience with Carriere distalizers!

karencoutts

#6 Post by karencoutts »

[One thing which occurred to me when I saw this was that Karen (and her ortho of course :D) need to watch out for the development of an anterior open bite, which is a potential pitfall of long term wear of class II elastics especially if your overbite is not large to begin with - look what happened to Clo!

So now I've read Clo's incredible story. Wow. Her teeth were quite good to begin with, and now all those other problems. Yes, I am scared! I also hope he does a good job for me! There should be some kind of computer modelling that can anticipate these sorts of problems. My teeth are pretty good now, at least cosmetically, and my bite matches on my left side. I'd hate to think that there is a possibility that I will ruin my bite with this treatment.

Supposedly, the benefit of the Carrieres is that the direction of force is univectoral. I sure as hell hope so. I don't understand, however, why he is applying the Carrieres to my right and left sides, since the bite on the left side is Class I. I have matching midlines now. Who knows what will happen... Hope I don't get nightmares tonight!

Clo

#7 Post by Clo »

Hi,

yes, my story is incredible, isn't it. The way I see it now, it all happened because
my 3 orthos all did things that had also negative side effects. Being harsh maybe
when saying this, but an ortho knows his or her job well if he or she can let the
good forces work and can neutralize the bad ones. I do think I still have to meet
the ortho who can do this for me. I'll explain by an example. When those class 2
elastics pull on the upper canines, they also pull equally on the lower molars. Now,
those have 3 pointed big roots. They won't move forward that easy. But they will
tip quite easy. Both forward and away from the cheeks. I felt really uneasy asking
several times that my ortho installed a lingual arch. That would eliminate almost
completely this unwanted effect. There were a lot of these unwanted things that
happened during my journey. Frustrating it is that each and everyone I could
predict. But of course, the ortho knows best, what would I know ...

I want to ask this, Karen. Please try to make a good story in the section "Our
Braces Stories". Because I am anxious to know if the movement this appliance will
give is indeed so nice like it is animated on their site. A great retraction without
tipping and extruding of teeth which can ruin a bite. I think the combination of this
promising technique and a skilled ortho can really work. Let's hope you have both.
Best of luck !

karencoutts

#8 Post by karencoutts »

Hi Clo,
Clo wrote:I want to ask this, Karen. Please try to make a good story in the section "Our
Braces Stories". Because I am anxious to know if the movement this appliance will
give is indeed so nice like it is animated on their site. !
I've started a thread in that section and will add to it as my treatment continues. I think it is important to put this information out there for others. I know that I personally like to do research before I make decisions. The CD has only been around since 2003, so it's new technology, relatively speaking.

Best regards to you in your continued journey.

karencoutts

Adult Usage of CDs

#9 Post by karencoutts »

One more thing. I finally read the Carriere Distalizer site in more depth and found an upbeat interview of Dr. Carriere himself. In it, he notes that he has had an opportunity to treat more adults since his initial study. The results look rosy.

Once again, a biased source, but still reassuring. Now to do a Google search for "Carriere Distalizer ruined my life" or "Carriere Distalizer problems"!!!