Oh dear, my wisdom tooth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Heavy Metal

Oh dear, my wisdom tooth

#1 Post by Heavy Metal »

I'm sensing what I believe is to be annoying pain! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Right one was hurting in January. Didn't do anything about it put some orajel on it that left me drooling and spitting like a pregnant lady. :lol:

And before that, it was my left one. Now my left one is feeling a little sore again. Hurts to chew and it hurts to swallow. Gosh, it hurts to open my mouth. I'm scared to go to the dentist and be told that I have pull it out. That's NOT an option. :evil:

Shall I just put the orajel on on it again. Dont wanna mess up my braces or anything. :(

jaswi

#2 Post by jaswi »

Getting wisdom teeth yanked really isn't that bad. They knocked me out, yanked all 4 and I woke up higher than a kite and feeling just fine.

lovelyleo

#3 Post by lovelyleo »

I need three of my wisdom teeth out but i'm putting it off until my mouth is pain. if I were you I would just go ahead and get them pulled and enjoy the drugs....I know its easier said than done so good luck

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#4 Post by blindboarder2008 »

I would say if your feeling lots of discomfort, like you seem to be feeling, to go and get them checked out, as they could either be infected or impacted which could result in bad things, I would definetly get those pesky wisdom teeth out, there only going to get more annoying! good luck and let us know what happens!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Kat

#5 Post by Kat »

Good luck with that tooth!
I would go to the dentist and really have them take a look. Why do you feel it's not a option to have it pulled?
I'm up against having them all pulled, in the long run by keeping them the ortho feels they may interfear with the bite.

All the best to you with this tooth. Just maybe accept the fact that you may be way better off in the long run without the bothersome tooth. Both the dentist and ortho will have the best advice.
!!!FLOSS!!!

BracedVeryLate

#6 Post by BracedVeryLate »

Hi - I got two wisdom teeth pulled after my braces were on. Teeth were partially exposed and driving me nuts, and they were impossible to keep clean. I am happy to have them gone, and it was really not that bad. I took a couple of advil the day of the extractions, and I was fine. The roots on the teeth were not fully developed, which may explain the easier time I had.

Folk Ballad

#7 Post by Folk Ballad »

Honestly, it's probably less pain for you in the long run if you have them extracted instead of keeping them and suffering.
I just had my lower wisdom teeth removed last week and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. The worst part wasn't the pain (they give you really heavy meds) or the procedure itself (you don't remember a thing) it was not being able to chew solid food for a little while. A person can only eat so much pudding!

bwonger06

#8 Post by bwonger06 »

just get them pulled.

i had mine taken out a week and a half ago and i was scared to death but let me tell you, it was much ado about nothing. the worst part as others have said is the eating part and personally i swelled like a chipmunk but thats because i did not ice until 12 hours later when it was a little too late. take the pain pills right away when you get home and ice asap and you should be good to go after a day or two.

Heavy Metal

#9 Post by Heavy Metal »

Meryaten wrote:Orajel's not going to mess up your orthodontic treatment. Nor should having the wisdom teeth pulled, if that is what is necessary. But the repeated bouts of pain from these teeth, especially as it's making it painful to open your mouth properly, hardly sounds encouraging. I really do agree with the posts above that you should have this checked out by your dentist, and if he thinks those teeth need to be pulled, you should give it serious consideration. If I may ask, are these only partially erupted wisdom teeth? (Wondering if you have recurring pericoronitis)
Yea. Partial. There's some gum on top of it and when I bite down or open my mouth... :shock: :(

I'll see what my ortho says... which is probably.. yank em out :(

jennielee81

#10 Post by jennielee81 »

If it continues to hurt badly, call your dentist. I had an infection in the tissue around mine and the dentist gave me antibiotics and all was fine.

I did opt, later, to have them pulled as this was likely to happen again AND my insurence covered it 90%. BUT, I am a HUGE chicken and I just wanted the excruciating pain to stop. It wasn't bad at all.

Anti-B's will stop that pain if infection is the problem.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

clyde415

#11 Post by clyde415 »

I had mine taken out a couple of months ago. My dentist did one side, and did the other side 2 weeks later. I was really scared before I went in for the procedure, but it turned out it's not too bad. I had a couple of Advils and one antibiotic at the dentist's office. I took two more at night before I went to bed. I had minor pain and discomfort for a couple of days and the pain went away. I'm sure it's nothing compare to the pain you're having right now. Go take care of it asap before the infection gets worse.