Need some help.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Netales

Need some help.

#1 Post by Netales »

I am 18 years old and thinking about getting a brace. I had retainers from age 11-14 and when I was given the ok to upgrade to the brackets, I said no (grr at my 14 year old self) because I was sick and tired of the jaw pain. I sucked my thumb from birth until I was 9 and so I have an overbite, and recently it's really been bothering me. I want braces, but I'm not sure if I really need them or I'm just paranoid.

I know I should make an orthodontic appointment but it costs a lot of money so I thought I'd get some free advice from you people first =) Is it worth it? Here is a small pic of how my teeth look now.

Eurgh, I really think they are awful.

jaswi

#2 Post by jaswi »

Consultations with an orthodontist are usually free. I suggest you go talk to one and see what they have to say. Most people here will agree with me when I say that yes it is worth it.
And the younger you do it, the better.

funshine

#3 Post by funshine »

A year or two in braces is totally worth the 20, 30, 50 years you'll have with a beautiful smile.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

Where do you live? Consultation appointments are often free in the US, but in the UK you will pay £70-80 for a consultation.

Netales

#5 Post by Netales »

Lisa65 wrote:Where do you live? Consultation appointments are often free in the US, but in the UK you will pay £70-80 for a consultation.
Yes I live in the UK. Sucks.

Thanks for all your input :)
Last edited by Netales on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

diande

#6 Post by diande »

It's def. worth it! You'll be real glad you did at the end, and even inbetween when the soreness stops and you start to see the changes :)
Last edited by diande on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Upper and lower bonded retainers; Upper Hawley for night time

DEBANDED ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST 2008 - FINALLY!!!

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months

GiovanntiLawing

#7 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

Definately go see an orthodontists!

You don't want to have to get braces at an older age. They cost more!

Why pay 6000.00 when you can get them for 3000.00 or less!!

Most consultations are free!
Giovannti. 26 years old with braces..

http://bracesandthecity.blogspot.com/

2nd Time w/Braces
Metal-First time 10 years ago
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

Next Adjustment 11/25/2008

Word of advice: WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!