Day 2... OMG, they hurt!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

clyde415

Day 2... OMG, they hurt!

#1 Post by clyde415 »

I'm 38 and just got braces on yesterday. I didn't have much pain until last night and it got really bad today. I was able to eat dinner last night, but couldn't eat much today, so I had some apple sauce and puddings for lunch and dinner. Is it supposed to get worse tomorrow?

I have a couple of concerns;

There's some glue residue around some of the brackets and teeth. Are they going to come off eventually or should I have my orthodontist remove them?

I noticed 4 of my lower front teeth look darker than usual after the braces fitting. Were they exposed to light cure too long or something?

Any ideas anyone??

Thanks in advance! (*_*)

CP

jaswi

#2 Post by jaswi »

For me, I think day 2 was when the pain peaked.. Just as everything starts moving.

As for the glue residue, if it is the stuff that they use on the molar bands, that should come of pretty fast. If its the stuff under the brackets, and it got cured, then it might be another story.

Perhaps your bottom teeth look darker as an illusion from having the braces blocking light?

clyde415

#3 Post by clyde415 »

It's glue around the edges of brackets. Some brackets have clean edges, but some of them have glue around them. Would it be an easy task at orthodontist's office?

jaswi

#4 Post by jaswi »

I dunno if easy would be the right word.. If it is bothering you I'm sure they can get it though. I've had my braces for two years, and there's still a few tiny globs on a couple of teeth that haven't worn off.

clyde415

#5 Post by clyde415 »

Thanks jaswi :D

funshine

#6 Post by funshine »

Did your ortho give you a bite wafer? I know it sounds odd to put pressure on your teeth when they're hurting, but biting on that wafer will help tremendously. It stimulates blood flow to the area and actually helps relieve the soreness.

clyde415

#7 Post by clyde415 »

No, he didn't. I'll ask for it when I go back next week to get molar band. I have a spacer between my molars now it HURTS :(

landela

#8 Post by landela »

when i first got braces i had some glue around the edges of the brackets and my husband broke some of it off, then after a few days I was kinda playing with it and it and it fell off. I don't things its anything to worry about, but if its bothering you, contact your ortho.
Laynie

Braced - April 24, 2008
Last adjustment - December 16, 2008
Trangle elastics - August 26 - Current (only at night from 11/11/2008 - Current)
Treatment end date - January 28, 2009

Click link to read my braces story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 532#258532 - Updated 11/11/2008 with pictures

Thathrill

#9 Post by Thathrill »

Don't worry about the glue. Some of it comes off with brushing. If its really bothering you then talk to your ortho but its nothing you should worry about.

As for sore teeth after being braced, that is normal and will get better. When I was first braced, my teeth hurt for about 5-7 days. It will improve. I found that when I chew the pain wouldn't last as long. Sure it was sore when I chewed but it improved by the next day. Sometimes I chew gum after an adjustment
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

clyde415

#10 Post by clyde415 »

Thank you so much guys!!! I really appreciate it ;)

Kat

#11 Post by Kat »

Congrats on your new venture!!!

Excess glue. On your next appointment date I would tell them it bothers you if it does. My brackets have excess glue around them but it's fine. Has been for two years. I just don't have any indents against the brackets so I'm really ok because I never have anything next to my brackets that has built up. Brackets that don't have the little extra glue well, I have to really pay attention when proxy brushing to make sure theres nothing staring to build.

Color change. Same here I though.
After a little bit you'll see all is normal. I'm thinking it's maybe the color of your ligs you're wearing. As you most likely know the different colors make the teeth look different. I now stick to light silver and never change. I find that color makes the teeth have the most nautral look out of all the colors. Clear will yellow and so does the appearance of the teeth.
Try something new until you find what you like. People find silver or grey boring. Well I find it looks the best on my teeth.

Good luck!
!!!FLOSS!!!

GiovanntiLawing

#12 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

The pain will start to fade very soon. If you got through day 2, the rest is all down hill :)

As far as the glue...it will eventually wear off with brushing.

Good luck. Welcome to the world of braces!
Giovannti. 26 years old with braces..

http://bracesandthecity.blogspot.com/

2nd Time w/Braces
Metal-First time 10 years ago
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

Next Adjustment 11/25/2008

Word of advice: WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!

clyde415

#13 Post by clyde415 »

I'm so glad that I found this forum. You guys are very helpful!!

Today is 4th day and woke up with very minor pain/discomfort. I just had some scrambled eggs for breakfast.

I stopped smoking 5 days ago and gained about 3 pounds so far, even though I haven't really ate much for last 3~4 days.

Would it hurt this much after everytime I go to ortho for monthly adjustment? :(

GiovanntiLawing

#14 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

Hi!

Adjustments are no where near as painful as getting braces on for the first time.

Worst case, they just either swap out the wires and put on new ligatures.

I will say though, since they change the wires and put in new ligatures, you will feel a little bit of discomfort, but its NO where near what it is to get braces. On a 1-10 (10 being the worst) an adjustment is about a 2 to 3 with very minor pain that only lasts about 2 days. Getting braces on for the first time will give you pain for at least a week to a week and a half.

I hope this helps though!!

After you get over the inital pain of getting braces...everything else is all down hill and smooth sailing

Good Luck. Hope this helps!
Giovannti. 26 years old with braces..

http://bracesandthecity.blogspot.com/

2nd Time w/Braces
Metal-First time 10 years ago
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

Next Adjustment 11/25/2008

Word of advice: WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!

PARR

#15 Post by PARR »

Ibuprofen for pain, warm salt water rinses, good hygiene, and chew cause you're are experiencing teething pain once again. Congrats on stopping smoking too!