Steel Ties

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ibc90

Steel Ties

#1 Post by ibc90 »

Could someone please explain the difference between steel ties and elastic ones.

jaswi

#2 Post by jaswi »

The steel ties supposedly make your teeth move faster, because they don't loosen up over time like the elastic ligatures do. One of the things I hate most about my orthodontist is that he has been using steel ties almost constantly since day one and they seem to catch more food and stuff.

ReneG

#3 Post by ReneG »

Steel ties do catch more food since there are more bits sticking out. They take more effort to put on and are a lot more flexible than elastics.

I've a tooth that's out of line with the others and it wasn't possible to put a lig on its bracket but a wire went out just fine though it did ache the most.

Elastics just snap onto the brackets... and they do lose tension and colour over time.
My 2 year diet plan in progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=243462

10 Mar 2008: Braced - upper and lower
12 Jan 2010: BSSO (Advancement)
?? Jun 2010: 6th post-op appointment
30 Jun 2010: 6th post-op ortho appointment - debanding!!! :D
07 Jul 2010: Retainer day!

Tin Indian

#4 Post by Tin Indian »

I asked for steel ties in the beginning of my treatment and I really liked the way they looked as they had a very clean look to them with the clear brackets. As I got more adventuresome I went with colored ligs.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

fldhkybnva

#5 Post by fldhkybnva »

at my last adjustment, the ortho told me to wear class III elastics and he also put wire ties on the lower canines (where the elastics attach on the bottom arch). does anyone know what this does?

jaswi

#6 Post by jaswi »

probably to secure the canines to the wire a little better, so the elastic would have less of an effect on the individual teeth

ghotieyes

#7 Post by ghotieyes »

i've also had steel ties across several teeth like a powerchain. that serves to hold those teeth in place so they don't form new gaps when my ortho is trying to close my existing ones.

jennielee81

#8 Post by jennielee81 »

It does provide a stronger attachment to the bracket and less friction along the wire.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

TigerLily

#9 Post by TigerLily »

I have had steel ties / wire ligatures throughout my treatment.

I was a bit disappointed at first as when I had my braces fitted, I'd been reading on here for a few weeks beforehand and was all ready to specify the colour of ligs I wanted!

However, on the day my ortho said she always does wire ligs on adult patients as they don't stain. I did at the beginning have the odd elastic lig (for a tooth that had funny positioning) and also had a powerchain once, both clear, but it's been all wire for quite a bit. It takes her quite a long time to do them though so I can see why I've read on here that some orthos only use them for clinical need.

The ones on the front at the top was all laced together unlike my very neat individual ones on the bottom so I asked about that and was told this was to keep the teeth together as they moved and not have any gaps. As of Saturda's appointment, my lower fronts are also laced together.

I always feel like an otter or something in the process of them being put on as I sit there with several lengths of wire sticking out the bottom whilst my ortho works her way out!

AngelRuse

#10 Post by AngelRuse »

I got steel ties too. Started off with elastics, but once I got the steel boy did my teeth move! It's a bit weird feeling...and I kinda miss the colors, but hey...whatever gets the crowd going. I've got a few stubborn teeth that hardly want to move even WITH the steel ties. :P

And yes...the otter feeling. :lol: Be a nice look for Halloween, untied steel ties. :lol:

jennielee81

#11 Post by jennielee81 »

I always feel like an otter or something in the process of them being put on as I sit there with several lengths of wire sticking out the bottom whilst my ortho works her way out!
I sincerely hope you are wearing eye protection during this procedure! had a student once who came in after a cornea scratch done by his ortho during wire tying. I can't imagine the site!!!

Just a caution to you, ask for eye protection if you don't normally have it...or close your eyes and take a nap during. :)
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

TigerLily

#12 Post by TigerLily »

Woah..never thought of that, thanks!

I do normally have my eyes closed though, I try and catch an impromptu nap wherever possible!