Why only one arch braced? (picture)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

crystalct1

Why only one arch braced? (picture)

#1 Post by crystalct1 »

It's just bugging me that the braces are only on my top teeth:

My bottom teeth are not bad at all, but why go through all this just to end up with half a great smile and where you're thinking "well it's not perfect but it's a lot better than it was"?

Does anyone only have half done? Or maybe you got them done separately? How did some of your orthodontists explain why only one row was going on when the other set wasn't perfect?

Plus I heard that when the top teeth get in line, they may not match right with the bottom and that's why even if your other row is perfect, you still need both done.

jaswi

#2 Post by jaswi »

Maybe its a case of the bottom row going on later? For me they wanted to make room up top before putting the bottom braces on, so that I didn't end up with a massive underbite to correct.

sparkles

#3 Post by sparkles »

This is the first time I have ever been braced both top and bottom. Up til now all my braces ahve been on my top arch only. But that was where I needed the work. My bottom teeth were slightly crowded but I wasn't worried about them before and with my cleft it was my top teeth that needed shifting.

It could be that your ortho is going to brace your lower arch later on, once some work has been done on your top.
I'm sure they have it all figured out :) Ask them next time you see them :)

catfish

#4 Post by catfish »

I agree with the others that you should ask your ortho what the plan is. That's the only way to know what's coming.

My top teeth looked okay to me, but my bottom teeth were crowded. So I was surprised that I got braces on the top first, and the bottom didn't get braced for 4-1/2 months. But my ortho said he wanted to see how the tops moved before he did the bottoms. So far, so good.

Let us know what your ortho says, and good luck!
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

GiovanntiLawing

#5 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

Hi and congrats on the start of your treatment!

To answer your question, is it normal for them to just be on the top?

Yes, of course, everyone's treatment is different, but this is why I just have them on top and getting bottoms next month.

My ortho told me:

" at MY office, I generally put braces on the top first, because its harder to move top teeth, where as its easier to move the bottom. Also, he puts them on top FIRST, as to get a general idea on how to set/reposition the bottom "

That's what I was told in my particular case. I didn't go to dental school, so it wasnt like I could argue with him.

Either way, I have braces on the top now, and I got back in Sept to get the bottoms put on.

No worries, im sure your Ortho knows what he is talking about :) Good luck in your journey though :)
Giovannti. 26 years old with braces..

http://bracesandthecity.blogspot.com/

2nd Time w/Braces
Metal-First time 10 years ago
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

Next Adjustment 11/25/2008

Word of advice: WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!

crystalct1

#6 Post by crystalct1 »

Thanks so much for everyone's answers. I really haven't questioned him a whole lot. Normally I would, but I've been going to him all my life and so has my mother. We totally trust him and I'm sure he knows what he is doing, but when he told me he wanted to do braces on my teeth, he said, "I'm going to put braces on those top teeth to get those aligned." When I asked him many months ago about the bottoms, he just said he wasn't too worried about them and that they were pretty aligned already. As you can see, they are not crowded or anything. I do have one lower canine on the right that tips in toward my tongue.

To answer the question about what my specific issues are:

No overbite or underbite. I have many gaps. I have no upper lateral incisors. So he wants to close some of the gaps and create the right space for bridge work or implants for the missing laterals. I also have a crossbite on the left - my upper and lower canine need to switch places.

I also have no back molars, just badly worn down premolars. So I wear a partial denture plate instead of the bite plate some wear. This keeps my front teeth from closing together and the cross bite movement can happen. I have talked to a few people that said when you have a cross bite, they usually do put the braces on one arch first, then the other several months later.

Somewhere along the line, my lower premolars are to be crowned.

He never really gave me a formal treatment plan. But then agian, I never really asked him for one. He tells me as we go along what he's doing and I just say ok.

Is that strange (not being given this "treatment plan") even though he's not some overpriced orthodontist charging me $5000? He's just my dentist that I've known all my life, who has been trained in orthodontics.

GiovanntiLawing

#7 Post by GiovanntiLawing »

Doesn't sound over priced at all. I didn't have half the problems that you have, and my braces cost me 6000.00

That's the price you have to pay to get your teeth to be flawless...

oh yeah, I live in NYC, so that may have something to do with my cost being so high....who knows???
Giovannti. 26 years old with braces..

http://bracesandthecity.blogspot.com/

2nd Time w/Braces
Metal-First time 10 years ago
Ceramic-(Second time) Top Arch Installed 7/9/2008, Bottom Arch Installed 9/10/2008

Next Adjustment 11/25/2008

Word of advice: WEAR YOUR RETAINERS!!

Spidey

#8 Post by Spidey »

Your lowers look a lot like mine did at the start of treatment- overcrowding such that it effects your arch curve. (Even if it looks okay from the front...) A lot of times too there are many issues that can only be seen by a professional with x-ray etc...

My upper arched was braced first, to bring in the overbite first so I wouldn't chomp on lower brackets. Lower arched was braced 3 months later. The only person who can really answer your question is your ortho. You should ask and get your treatment plan so that you can keep yourself informed. Wouldn't want any unpleasant surprizes down the road!!!!!
I didn't consider my treatment to be overpriced at all- $6500. (An extra 400 for ceramic brackets on top)
My ortho is very professional and has done an amazing job!

crystalct1

#9 Post by crystalct1 »

Is that strange (not being given this "treatment plan") even though he's not some overpriced orthodontist charging me $5000?
The way I wrote it was confusing-

What I mean is that he is not charging me $5000. I haven't even seen the bill yet - I just know it'll be reasonable because he always has been.