Transferring Orthodontists Between States?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PlasticRobot

Transferring Orthodontists Between States?

#1 Post by PlasticRobot »

I'm hoping someone has some insight to this sort of situation, as I'm pretty much in the dark right now. I plan to move from SC to NYC at the end of next month and I'm concerned about the transferral of service. I'm only three months in, so I've got a way to go, but I told my Orthodontist about it and he said it shouldn't be a problem. What I'm most concerned about is staying on schedule with my adjustments and payments, as well as the cost. Right now my payment plan seems manageable, but I don't know if there's likely to be an increase in cost. Has anyone here been in a similar situation? I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks!
"They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself."
~ Andy Warhol

macfancier

#2 Post by macfancier »

I have my first appointment with my new orthodontist in a week, and will post more details after that. I know that my old ortho wanted me to find the new ortho in the area I was moving to so he could look him up in his directory to see where he trained and if they followed the same principles. I suppose the new ortho checked out, and my old office shared all of my records with his office.

macfancier

#3 Post by macfancier »

I met with my new ortho today, and after reviewing the x-rays and photos my old ortho had sent, he looked at my teeth and told me how he would proceed if I wanted to become a patient of his. I went ahead with it, had a n adjustment today, and all I'll need to do is advise the insurance company that I am switching doctors so that when they bill it won't be denied. The new office will just be charging a monthly/per visit amount (which is $75 cheaper than my old place!) and no other fees.

PlasticRobot

Thanks!

#4 Post by PlasticRobot »

Hey there!
I appreciate the updates. I just have no idea what to expect. All I know is that I can't afford any additional cost. So it's good to hear that yours is somewhat less.

THANKS!
"They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself."
~ Andy Warhol

ollielloyd

#5 Post by ollielloyd »

I'm in a similar situation, but moving from the UK (near London) to Australia (Sydney) :) Update us what happens!

KikiloSugilo

#6 Post by KikiloSugilo »

Hey, I transferred orthos about 3 months into my initial treatment. I live in Philly but go to school in Pittsburgh, so I told my first ortho about my dilemma, and was advised to just switch to an office out in the Pittsburgh area. Prior to my departure he gave me a listing of orthos in Pittsburgh, and highlighted ones who used the same method/technique as he did, as well as ones who did not...it was sort of like a yellowpages of orthos. At the new office I had to sign a consent form, releasing my previous ortho of liability and consenting to treatment by the new doctor. It was pretty easy. I hope that helps.

PlasticRobot

Thanks!

#7 Post by PlasticRobot »

I appreciate your insight. That does help for sure. I've just never been in a situation like this before, so I really don't know what to expect. I have to move no matter what, so I just didn't want to be jumping into a great mess, as I've had enough of those!

THANKS!

:wink:
~ Andy Warhol

Dovechild20

#8 Post by Dovechild20 »

I moved and changed orthos after a 1 year braced (ive been braced 2 years this Sept). It wasn't too hard, tho i was thorough in doing my research on what orthos would be in my new area and pricing them out. I finally found my new ortho in my area, he was a lil pricier than what I was paying, but he shared the same philosphy for my treatment which was more important to me than the price (other orthos wanted to break my jaw, etc etc etc).

If I had to give advice, I would say to start early on selecting a new ortho in your new area, interview several and specifically ask them how they would continue your treatment. You wanna try and find someone who is the same vein as your current ortho as far as treatment philosphy.

I remember I went to this one ortho to interview him and he gafawed at my records because they were on disk as well on paper saying that he wasn't as "technically savvy" as my ortho was. I wanted to stand up, shake his hand and walk right out right there! LOL! But i let him finish and of course, he wasn't the ortho for me.

Be discriminating, because it could make the difference on your debracing date as well as cost.

PlasticRobot

Good ideas!

#9 Post by PlasticRobot »

Hey there,

You know it hadn't occurred to me to wait to interview potential orthodontists. It would certainly be preferable to finding you'd picked one who wasn't going to work out and then having to find yet another. I certainly don't need the process prolonged at all, as this is just one of the many stages in my recovery.

Thanks for the advice!
~ Andy Warhol