1 day in braces question - no pain - no sore teeth ??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sportsman

1 day in braces question - no pain - no sore teeth ??

#1 Post by sportsman »

I’ve been braced yesterday, so this is officially my first day in braces.
The braced process went very smooth and quick. My ortho said that today my teeth would be very sore. And for all the reports I saw here I really thought they will be.

But they are not !!!!!
I really cant feel nothing except a slightly pressing in the teeth that isn’t uncomfortable.
Is this normal ? I thought this will always hurt. I even can eat solid food almost normally.

Well, I’ve taken pictures and soon I will begin a journal to record my changes.
Thanks to all.

funshine

#2 Post by funshine »

Give us an update about 48 hours in :wink:

It's not that bad the first day. Second and third days are the ones that were painful for me. Nothing that Mortin can't handle, though.

You'll be fine. Good luck with your treatment!

Whitters

#3 Post by Whitters »

Sportsman that's normal..well for me it was...
I didn't have any pains AT ALL until that adjustment when my ortho advanced me to the other wire, which was like 3 months after my brace day. That day I really felt it and I had to take a pain killer :(

I was a little skeptical that there was no pain initially BUT very grateful..

In my opinion..there's nothing you should be worried about.
B-day: May 14th 2007

nellen

#4 Post by nellen »

I've had very little pain, and it's never been anything a couple ibuprofen couldn't handle. My ortho and surgeon originally thought I would need two surgeries and now the ortho thinks I probably need just one. I was worried that it didn't hurt because my teeth weren't moving, but they moved more than he expected. So last time he put heavy, square wire on them around and they hurt a little, but the inside of my mouth was really irritated. That's how I can tell my teeth have moved.

sportsman

#5 Post by sportsman »

Whitters wrote:I was a little skeptical that there was no pain initially
nellen wrote:I was worried that it didn't hurt because my teeth weren't moving
:D My feelings exactly!!! That’s why i post my doubts! I was felling that my ortho didn’t applied enough pressure! But, minutes ago when I was cleaning my teeth I realized that there’s one tooth that really moved. As I’m biased, I ask my girlfriend if she can note anything different and indeed she noted the same. I’m happier now, knowing that the little bastards are moving :-D:-D:-D

sparkles

#6 Post by sparkles »

I think another thing to take into consideration is that pain is such a personal subjective thing...everyone has different pain thresholds too...so what might be agony for some, is pain for another and what is pain for some is uncomfortableness (lol is that even a word??) in others.

JWDallas

#7 Post by JWDallas »

I never had that much pain really...well, except for over 1 tooth (hurts when I bite or push on it).

Other than that, it has been really easy.

sportsman

#8 Post by sportsman »

Third day:

Still no pain in my teeth, only the gums begun to hurt, but I’ve put some wax and everything is fine now.

I’m trying to learn how to eat with braces and it’s really annoying. Today I was visited by a cousin and he wanted to go to a restaurant, but I didn’t feel comfortable to eat outside my house yet

Overall I’m really enjoying this …

kittymeow84

#9 Post by kittymeow84 »

I've got a pretty good tolerance for pain and my first few days in braces were bearable. The only annoying thing was my mouth getting used to the sharp metal. That took about 3 days.
Even though I noticed movement in a day, the pressure feeling of teeth moving wasn't so intense that I needed pain killers.

Come my latest adjustment and third wire - THAT hurt! Boy! But I loved the pain!

So if you're a bit like me and waiting for the ouchies to kick in - just hang in there til you get some heavier wires on! You'll feel those!

And sometimes its funny cos after an adjustment and when the initial pressure is gone, you kind of forget about any movement.....
Til the day you're just flossing, about halfway til your next visit to the ortho - and BAM, you flick the floss against your archwire and all of a sudden a little tooth says "Hello!"...Then proceeds to give you the irrits for the next three days! Pah! Hehehee :P
Clickies on the "WWW" to see my braces story :)

*melissa*

#10 Post by *melissa* »

Hey, I didnt have any pain either during my first days in braces! I thought something was wrong, and I called the ortho to make sure no pain was normal...they told me I was one of the lucky ones :lol: My teeth ended up moving tonz and it didnt really hurt at all!
But wait til your about 3 and a half months in and they give you really strong wires...it doesnt hurt thaaat bad, just feels like a dull ache (imagine a toothache, but a little worse), thats always there. Right now I am going thru this kind of pain. Sometimes it reaally bothers me and sometimes it doesnt. It comes and goes I guess you could say.

sportsman

#11 Post by sportsman »

:-D We are indeed very strange creatures.

If it hurts, we complain that it hurts.
If not, we also complain.

Although my teeth doesn't hurt, some of them are really moving.
And i can't stop staring at them in the mirror :oops:

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#12 Post by blindboarder2008 »

sportsman wrote::-D We are indeed very strange creatures.

If it hurts, we complain that it hurts.
If not, we also complain.

Although my teeth doesn't hurt, some of them are really moving.
And i can't stop staring at them in the mirror :oops:
well said sportsman, indeed. it seems slightly strange that you wouldn't feel any pain the first day but then again every pain tolerance is different, some are more sensitive to pain then others, so like everyone has said it all depends on the person and their pain threshold. i know for me i have a very low pain intolerane in my mouth but ibuprofen becomes my friend when i have pain. I know when i had my wisdom teeth in they were constantly painful; then again they were impacted, so that was for good reason; but now there gone as of friday, and the pain is diminishing!!!

never hurts to ask questions if you have any or if you are concerned about something!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

SDFD TSchott

#13 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I've had braces for 2 years 3 months and now I've had my retainers for 2 months 3 weeks 1 day I think is the precise amount of time... but I haven't had one lick of pain at all through out the entire treatment time...

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

acd

#14 Post by acd »

If I had known how little pain braces actually were I would have gotten them years ago!

BenB

#15 Post by BenB »

I had pretty bad pain the actual day of getting them on and a couple of days after but have had little to no pain at each adjustment which has been really good, everyone is different 8)