Another Food Question - Sorry! Crisps/Potato Chips

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sparkles

Another Food Question - Sorry! Crisps/Potato Chips

#1 Post by sparkles »

sorry another food question from me :oops:

I'm desperate for a packet of beef crisps (or potato chips I think you call them in the US??)
Normally if I don't have crisps it doesn't bother me but the past few days I am really craving beef crisps.
But I'm not sure wether to have or not...would they break my wire as they are crunchy? And not even sure if I'm going to manage them with molar buildups anyways.
LOL my husband said he'd eat some beef crisps and then would kiss me so I'd at least get the flavour...he is daft! :lol:

So yay or nay to crisps?

Fay

wearetheborg

#2 Post by wearetheborg »

I ate potato chips. Try the thin ones first (not the thick kind)

shaolin

#3 Post by shaolin »

They won't break the wire, but I just don't get the same pleasant sensation from eating hard crunchy foods with braces on. Also, crisps very quickly go soggy and get stuck in every tooth/bracket/wire gap you've got.

Try a couple and then my guess is you'll give up on them.

sparkles

#4 Post by sparkles »

shaolin wrote:
Try a couple and then my guess is you'll give up on them.
LOL that has happened with so many foods this past week..bagels, cheese thins, toast, just got so sick fed up of trying to eat them I gave up in disgust.
I had a packet of skips today and they just didn't cut it...I want beef crisps!

ArchAngle

#5 Post by ArchAngle »

I just broke my archwire eating popcorn. :(

I'd make and eat popcorn perhaps once every year or even every 2 years. All the chatter about popcorn recently and being taboo of course made me go out and buy a bag of cheese flavored popcorn. Hmm...quite tasty actually. But it is inflexible and having eaten everything from steak to celery sticks without a hitch, lo and behold, it seems once miserable popped corn managed to snap my archwire. Actually not exactly sure if it snapped it or pushed / pulled it out of the molar bracket. Chips should be okay as I'd think they would break apart before the wire does should contact be made in a leverigible manner.

landela

#6 Post by landela »

I eat chips with no problems. Somtimes have to break them up into smaller pieces, and they get stuck everywhere.
I've eaten salad croutons without damaging anything (pulled the wire out of the back bracket, but was easily able to push it back in). I've been kinda adventurous with food and braces, if I like it, I'll at least try to eat it, and if I can't, I pass it off to my husband.
Laynie

Braced - April 24, 2008
Last adjustment - December 16, 2008
Trangle elastics - August 26 - Current (only at night from 11/11/2008 - Current)
Treatment end date - January 28, 2009

Click link to read my braces story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 532#258532 - Updated 11/11/2008 with pictures

Faerydust

#7 Post by Faerydust »

I eat potato chips all the time and popcorn once in awhile. Haven't had any problems so far. I have a waterpik which is great for getting chip remains out from between brackets/wires. :)
My Braces Story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=25137
4/23/08 - Upper 1st premolars & lower impacted wisdoms extracted
-Getting lowers rebraced Aug. 30th-
Certified Dental Assistant

Luella

#8 Post by Luella »

The only thing I haven't attempted to eat are those little square caramels. I've had popcorn, potato chips, steak, croutons, gummy bears, etc.

On a semi related note, do they call potato chips beef crips in the UK because they taste like beef? I hope that's not a silly question lol!
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

sparkles

#9 Post by sparkles »

Luella, not a silly question :)
No potato chips are generally just called crisps over here, I just fancy beef flavoured ones.
As far as I know we have lots of different flavours that you don't have in the US, ranging from salt n vinegar to prawn ocean to even english mustard flavoured crisps

Fay

Maverick

#10 Post by Maverick »

I thought by beef crisps, she meant beef jerky. :)
I probably won't be able to eat that with braces? :(

sparkles

#11 Post by sparkles »

we have ketchup flavoured crisps here too and indeed sea salt and black pepper crisps...and marmite, roast chicken, sweet thai chilli, roast lamb and mint, cheese and onion, ham and mustard, worcester sauce, there's loads and loads of flavours!

I love ranch dressing! Wouldn't put it on salad because I don't like dressing/sauce on salads though...but great for having with chips (french fries). Hard to find ranch dressing over here though...a friend of mine sent me some over from the US and it was divine! Have a bottle in the fridge just now that I found in a local supermarket but it's not all that great. Not sure how that woudl go down on crisps though.

Beef jerky...yum! but I think that would be nigh impossible with braces :) You don't see beef jerky much over here.

sparkles

#12 Post by sparkles »

lol I just read back my message to Luella and see I typed prawn ocean...LOL meant prawn ocean...hehehehe why did I type ocean??

Luella

#13 Post by Luella »

Wow ya'll do have a lot of chip flavors! And I don't know if I'd survive without ranch dressing! Hidden Valley is the best!!! Ya'll are nuts if you don't like ranch!!! I want to try some of your chips! I bet worschsire is amazing!!!

I'd like to add that I have had beef jerky since I've been braced, and as long as you rip it into little pieces with your hands, rather than your teeth, you can eat it pretty well.
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

ArchAngle

#14 Post by ArchAngle »

landela wrote: (pulled the wire out of the back bracket, but was easily able to push it back in).
That is my case, the wire is fully intact, just pulled out of the bracket. I think I can get it back in if I cool the wire down. Once done, did you have to go in to the ortho for them to do anything further? I got another 5 weeks to go before the next tune up, and if it's just a matter of putting the wire back in like that and no further action required, it will be a big time saver. Should it even be phoned in for the record or something, or just solve the problem one self and continue on?

sparkles

#15 Post by sparkles »

Ah well! I gave some beef crisps a try this afternoon and guess what...I managed to get through 4 and got thoroughly fed up of them...can't crunch/chew them properly with the molar buildups so was a case of tasting the flavour and then swirling them round my mouth til they got soggy and swallow.
Ugh! Oh well no crisps for me for 3 years then.
Guess that can't be too bad a thing since they aint good for you anyways.