Do you push/pull on your teeth to aid movement?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

artroxu

Do you push/pull on your teeth to aid movement?

#1 Post by artroxu »

I've been doing this a bit on the stubborn ones and it seems to help, 'course I dont know if it's helping at all or if it is the wire doing all the work.

Do you do this? C'mon admit it if you do.

holyjoe

#2 Post by holyjoe »

I'll admit that I've done it before, but I don't think it really helped. I'll just let the braces do their job...

MsViola

#3 Post by MsViola »

I never do that! I have an overbite and I don't want them moving any other place except where the wires lead them :lol:

I have even gotten paranoid to the point that I try not to touch the back of my upper teeth with my tongue!

I know, I need much prayer :roll:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

YRhino

#4 Post by YRhino »

Yep, I do it too. I tongue thrust also so if I am feeling particularly guilty, I will push in on my teeth slightly while I'm sitting around (ie. on the computer) to "counter" the pushing out that my tongue does. I'm sure I'm creating a bigger problem for myself by doing this so maybe admitting it will make me stop now.

CactusZAF

#5 Post by CactusZAF »

I must admit I did try this once or twice on one stubborn (cross biting) tooth, but the only thing I accomplished by doing this is to get a dent in my finger :shock:

I really don,t think it can have any significant effect on treatment (unless your teeth are really really loose)doing this, even on a regular basis. I wouldn't recommend walking around with ones finger permanently in the mouth. :lol:

Maverick

#6 Post by Maverick »

I do that too. I also extend my lower jaw and pull back on my uppers with my lowers. This has led to a bit of a grinding habit. :(

But, I'm getting braces soon at 20y/o! I'm pretty excited about it. :D

24KSmile

#7 Post by 24KSmile »

Yes!! I push my teeth with my tongue quite often when I'm watching TV or doing computer work. My lower pre-molars & molars are tipped inwards so I figure anything I can do to push them upright will help. I can feel them "clicking" a bit when I push so it must be doing something.

The elastics that I got 6 weeks ago are making a big difference now so it's all good.

catfish

#8 Post by catfish »

I'll 'fess up here. I have a lower canine that sticks out too far, and I've gotten into the habit of occasionally pressing on it with my finger when I rest my chin in my hand. It's a pretty seriously rooted tooth though, so I don't notice it giving any!
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

Neptune

#9 Post by Neptune »

In my first week, I also thought it was a great idea to "assist" my braces. haha But, like Meryaten hinted at, I realized that I'd probably create a new habit I'd have to break after my braces come off. Now I'm of the thinking that I don't want to mess with the effect the braces are having on my teeth, so try to keep my tongue away from my teeth as much as (consciously) possible.

Overall - I'm better off not thinking about the actions my your braces. Time goes by much quicker that way.

My two cents.
08 Apr 2008 - Front teeth braced.
30 Aug 2010 - New bracket brand placed on upper four incisors.

Initial Ortho Sentence: 18-20 months.

TheNewEmperor

#10 Post by TheNewEmperor »

:roll: I admit, I'm 'grinding' my teeth. It isn't to aid it...it's just something my jaws seem to want to do with the braces....

skyhawk

#11 Post by skyhawk »

I try not to, but I find myself pushing on the mandibular central incisor (I'm using my fancy words!) that is still twisted inward. The other one has straightened out, so now I'm impatient. :)
My thread

Braced 10 Apr 08
Next adjustment 9 Apr 09

*melissa*

#12 Post by *melissa* »

Ha. This made me giggle.
I use to do it in the verryy beginning...but I started seeing results after only like a month, so I stopped because I realized my braces didnt need my help (well in that way of course) :lol:

jennielee81

#13 Post by jennielee81 »

Harmful or not, I did this! :oops:

My laterals on both sides were protruding (see pix below) and as a habit, from the time when I was a young teen, I've pushed on those pesky teeth.

Even while braced, I found myself pushing in on the laterals while pushing out on the centrals.

It seems that was more of a nervous habit than anything productive as nothing moved (in 25 years) without braces. I did it while braced with no result and I still find myself with my fingers pushing on those teeth in times of great stress. I immediately stop as I realize that there is no purpose in it...

You should stop, it does NO GOOD and could harm your teeth/roots.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

TheNewEmperor

#14 Post by TheNewEmperor »

Ok, for the past 2 weeks my wire has been poking out on one side so at my adjustment today I asked my doctor if he could trim it as its been hella uncomfortable and he said, 'this is happening because of the way you are chewing and i think you are also grinding your teeth...it moves the wire' and he just grabbed the wire with pliers and twisted the wire back to normal (so no pokey bits either end).

Moral of the story - don't do what I do!!! :roll:

It was a great adjustment though - my first he wasn't very happy as not a lot had happened in my mouth but i could see he was happy with my progress today. yay my teeth!