Wires sticking out

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

holly0841

Wires sticking out

#1 Post by holly0841 »

I searched forever and still did not find anyone complaining about wires sticking them as teeth move. I had first adjustment end of april and have had to go back to orthodontist to get wire on the right clipped as it was digging into my gums and I had used tons of wax to no avail. Anyway, they clipped it, problem solved and two weeks later here I am with the same problem again. She is trying to make space and I have lots of room for the canines to come in so maybe they move faster than most but I cant deal with this, I am literally on vacation with my family and am going home a day early to get this clipped. Has anyone else run across this problem? I am about ready to say forget it and go back to the gappy life =) Need anyone with some advice/guidance here before I break out the wire cutters and take care of the whole problem!!!
Braced 3/11/08 Uppers
Braced 11/08 Lowers
2 Impacted Canines
Surgery 03/06/09 for exposure of teeth # 6 & #11

ReneG

#2 Post by ReneG »

Look at it as a good problem: your teeth are moving! :)

I have the same problem, the wires at the ends are catching on the insides of my cheeks and always at the worst times. The insides of my cheeks are lacerated and I use a lot of my Brace Pocket Relief kit numbing gel (thank goodness I bought extras)

I've found that I needed to dry the brackets (very awkward since they are the molar bands) with an absorbent cloth (can't use tissue since it'll just leave tissue bits) and smack on a huge lump of wax on the end. I end up with a ball of wax I can feel but it sure beats a pokey wire end. It takes time to do it right (about 5 minutes in all?) but I only do it twice a day, after breakfast brushing and after lunch brushing. After dinner, I try not to talk too much :P

I've also found that silicone wax stayed on better and felt better than dental wax, which is probably because for me, the dental wax seemed to move more, kinda melt and get dislodged.

Also, I found a thread I replied to last month: viewtopic.php?t=25856&highlight=
My 2 year diet plan in progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=243462

10 Mar 2008: Braced - upper and lower
12 Jan 2010: BSSO (Advancement)
?? Jun 2010: 6th post-op appointment
30 Jun 2010: 6th post-op ortho appointment - debanding!!! :D
07 Jul 2010: Retainer day!

Flaka

#3 Post by Flaka »

Hi holly0841,

I had the same problem after a couple of weeks of being braced. The wire got stuck into my cheek and it was painful so I went to the ortho's office and got it taken care of.

If your wire keeps bothering you, that means your teeth are moving which is awesome; on the other side I understand that is not so awesome having the wire pocking you all the time. Maybe they can bend it at the end? the did that to mine and it hasn't bother me anymore.

Good luck and hope you get the wire thing taken care of :)

catfish

#4 Post by catfish »

My ortho recommended clipping the wires with nail clippers in a pinch. Not something to take lightly, but if you can't get to see your ortho soon and the wire is shredding your cheek, it's worth doing. I had to do that once when I was out of town on business, and I had a huge chunk of wire poking me. OUCH!!
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

holly0841

#5 Post by holly0841 »

Thank you all for the replies, I was truly having a weak moment. That is what I love about this board, there is always someone that can relate to what you are going through on this crazy journey! I am going to the orthodontist this morning to get the darn thing cut and I hope if my teeth decide to move so much again I atleast wont be on vacation and unable to enjoy it!
Braced 3/11/08 Uppers
Braced 11/08 Lowers
2 Impacted Canines

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

The thin wires used early in treatment can be clipped with nail clippers if you're desperate. Just make sure you don't snag your cheek with the clippers!
When you get a wire change next, ask the ortho to bend the ends inwards, so as they creep out of the back, they wrap round behind your teeth instead of poking straight out into your cheek.

acd

#7 Post by acd »

The only time I've been in actual 'pain' since getting braces is when my wire would move and one end would sick out too far. I have been able to slide it back with tweezers and got instant relief. At one point it slid so freely that I was able to move it back with a fingernail.

holly0841

#8 Post by holly0841 »

Just got back from the ortho office, I feel like a new woman! They said they are just moving a lot this time and that even if it is a weekend I can call them and leave a message and if/when someone comes by to check messages they can call me and they can cut it. I am lucky I am with a small ortho office where the ortho herself does all the adjustments and the assistants can cut wires in between if needed. Sorry about my pathetic rant earlier, thank you all again for the advice and I hope it will also help others with this same problem to know they are not alone. I will definitely ask about the bend at the end the next adjustment, it is in a few weeks. Today all I could think about was getting the darn thing cut!
Braced 3/11/08 Uppers
Braced 11/08 Lowers
2 Impacted Canines

funshine

#9 Post by funshine »

Wire poke = progress! Annoying, yes, but so worth it. :D