Skin irritation around mouth after adjustment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dovechild20

Skin irritation around mouth after adjustment

#1 Post by Dovechild20 »

K, so last Wed, i had another adjustment and right after i left, i started having this flakey, slightly painful skin irrtations on the very corners of my mouth where the ortho and the assistants hook your mouth with their fingers to see and reach your teeth.

I've never gotten this before, but could i have suddenly developed a reaction to latex gloves or something? Maybe it was the powder they use on the gloves? The adjustment included replacing the power chains on top and bottom and they gave me a button on the inside molar (cant remember the number) so that my elastics would hook from the inside out.

The irritation on one side of my mouth has pretty much healed, but the other corner wont heal. Its really irritated and my skin has actually broken open so that it looks like a bad paper cut, so now it keeps trying to heal and then breaking open (and even bleeding a little) whenever i smile, yawn, eat, brush my teeth, TRY to floss, put an elastic in...well you get the idea.

What can i do to help it heal and what could have possibley caused it in the first place?

TIA!

¤sabrina¤

#2 Post by ¤sabrina¤ »

sounds like angular chelitis but i could be way wrong

i got irritation on my top lip when my bottom braces were put on, nothing had happened the week before when the top set were installed
my lip got bumps and were swollen an extremely dry and developed an allergy to lip balm
i had to use vaseline and then i got some allergy tabs, aerius an piriton
and 3 days after my lip was back to normal ( i can use lip balm again)
my dr friend thinks it was the plastic thingy that spreads your lips, he thinks it was a resin allergy i got

anything is possible, go see your doctor or pharmacist and they should be able to help u
i think vaseline should be ok to use in the meantime though
my story -- http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=25125
February 29 2008 - initial consultation, records and spacers
March 17 2008 - molar bands
March 20 2008 - 2 upper 1st premolar extractions
April 17 2008 - upper jaw braced
April 24 2008 - lower jaw braced
May 1 2009 - primary left central incisor extraction

Dovechild20

#3 Post by Dovechild20 »

AH!! Thank you! *runs for the Vaseline jar*

¤sabrina¤ wrote:sounds like angular chelitis but i could be way wrong

i got irritation on my top lip when my bottom braces were put on, nothing had happened the week before when the top set were installed
my lip got bumps and were swollen an extremely dry and developed an allergy to lip balm
i had to use vaseline and then i got some allergy tabs, aerius an piriton
and 3 days after my lip was back to normal ( i can use lip balm again)
my dr friend thinks it was the plastic thingy that spreads your lips, he thinks it was a resin allergy i got

anything is possible, go see your doctor or pharmacist and they should be able to help u
i think vaseline should be ok to use in the meantime though

catfish

#4 Post by catfish »

I've had the gloves cause the skin around my mouth to turn itchy and red. This just started, so if it keeps up I'll have to ask my ortho to use different gloves.

Hard to say without seeing it, but your wound sounds similar to something I get sometimes. It looks like a little cut, right smack in the corner of my mouth. It cracks open whenever I open my mouth very far, like to yawn. I've used Camphophenique on it, and that helps a lot. It stings a little at first, but then it feels better for a long time.

:soremouth:
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom