impressions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fldhkybnva

impressions

#1 Post by fldhkybnva »

just out of curiosity and anxiousness to get my braces on finally, does anyone know why impressions take a month to process?

Luella

#2 Post by Luella »

My only thought would be so that the ortho has time enough to evaluate your case thoroughly. My ortho takes a while after impressions are made so that their in house lab can fabricate the cast to use for indirect bonding of the brackets, but I don't see how that can take a whole month. Some orthos have a pretty strict policy on keeping patients on a monthly appointment basis, so that might be why. Ask! I have to wait to see my ortho until he's in town- I live in Fort Worth and he lives in Austin and flies up to Fort Worth for a week every month to see patients at this practice- weird huh? And he only comes once a month.
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

fluffybottom

#3 Post by fluffybottom »

I imagine it differs from ortho to ortho. Mine took two weeks to evaluate my molds; other people seem to have gotten their braces right away! So if you are curious, just ask your orthodontist. It's never too early to open the pathways of communication and become knowledgeable about your treatment plan.
I had my braces on for 2 years, 1 month, 2 weeks and 2 days.

landela

#4 Post by landela »

My ortho made an appointment for me to get braces even before he did impressions. I got braced 7 days after my impressions. I assume that it varies from ortho to ortho. I would just call yours and ask.
Laynie

Braced - April 24, 2008
Last adjustment - December 16, 2008
Trangle elastics - August 26 - Current (only at night from 11/11/2008 - Current)
Treatment end date - January 28, 2009

Click link to read my braces story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 532#258532 - Updated 11/11/2008 with pictures

jenny101101

#5 Post by jenny101101 »

I had my top braces put on the day they took the molds...I guess they were confident enough that they'd turn out and already knew what they had in store for me! :lol:
Keep smilin'! :)
Jenny

Braced for 18 months: Damon 3mx all around with Damon 3's on "social six". Now is Essix retainers for 10 hours/night.

YRhino

Impressions

#6 Post by YRhino »

I literally went to the ortho for my initial consultation, had the mold cast and my braces put on all within a 24 hour period. I didn't even ask what the mold was for, I just assumed it was so that I would be able to see what I started with when the process is all finished.

LaLaDee

#7 Post by LaLaDee »

My impressions took two weeks to process - sounds like there can be quite a difference from ortho to ortho.