ceramic vs metal uppers

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

beth1966

#31 Post by beth1966 »

[quote="loyaboya"]About 2 months ago I got ceramics on my front 6 teeth. I went back and forth trying to decide, mainly because I read so many opinions! :lol: But I finally decided "if I gotta wear these things for 2.5 yrs then I'm getting what *I* want." And I love them :) I don't know if they are "bigger" because I have nothing to compare them to. Either way you gotta get used to wearing braces and thats gonna be the biggest hurdle. I haven't had any real trouble with lip irritation and I haven't had to wear much wax except on the molar brackets in the back (which are metal). Also, mine don't stain because I wear silver/gray ligs. I figured that the archwire is already silver so it wouldn't be much more noticeable to have a teeny gray line around each bracket. Some people notice I have them and some don't. I think I made the right decision for myself (and my ortho only charged $100 more than for all metal).

Hi - nice to hear someone is happy with their ceramics - I do read that a lot of people are, but others are not as happy for various reasons. I am going with ceramics - but worry about the ligs because I really enjoy my coffee (with milk) and tomato sauce. But I will cross that bridge when I get to it - I do think I will try silver/gray ligs from the beginning though.

I go for my spacers Thurs night - hopefully they don't cause too much pain.

:)

iBorg

#32 Post by iBorg »

I can compare. I had ceramics on my top arch that would not stay on due to my tooth enamel. While my ortho says this is a rarity, I am not the first that had that problem. After too many loose brackets, my love of the ceramics was gone and my ortho agreed to switch to all metal. I've had all metal for seven months without a loose bracket. With ceramics I couldn't have gone seven weeks.

I find the metal much smaller and more comfortable than the ceramics. If they are more noticeable, so what? No one seems to care. The ceramics are visible but more people stare at them trying to figure out what's in your teeth. With the metal, its apparent that I have braces.

One of my few regrets with the brace experience was the lack of success I had with ceramics.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

beth1966

#33 Post by beth1966 »

iBorg wrote:I can compare. I had ceramics on my top arch that would not stay on due to my tooth enamel.
One of my few regrets with the brace experience was the lack of success I had with ceramics. Mike
What brand/manufacturer were your ceramics and are your metals? There are a variety of brands of ceramics that will change the color, size and probably the durability as well - just wondering which your ortho used? Same with the metals.

iBorg

#34 Post by iBorg »

Dr. P uses In-Ovation R metal brackets and Mystique clear.

I would recommend that you be more concerned with the skill of your ortho office rather than the brand of the brackets on your teeth. I compare it to an artist. I could have a full set of paints and not be able to produce anywhere near the art of Shakespeare. What bad analogy. :lol:

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

beth1966

#35 Post by beth1966 »

[quote="iBorg"]
I would recommend that you be more concerned with the skill of your ortho office rather than the brand of the brackets on your teeth. I compare it to an artist. I could have a full set of paints and not be able to produce anywhere near the art of Shakespeare. What bad analogy. :lol:

I've heard a # of folks say that and while I think in theory this is an accurate statement - for some of us we want the best of both worlds. A skilled ortho using the bracket system we are comfortable with both in appearance and strength.

rolo

staining

#36 Post by rolo »

Beth,

I have a clear power chain from Canines back and white ligs on the front four teeth. I noticed the clear power chain has gone a little bit yellow (at the three week mark), where as the white ligs are still white. No coffee, but I do drink a bit of tea. My ortho doesn't offer self-ligatating ceramics, and it's on the bottom so I wasn't too fussed. If you could get self-ligating ceramics, there would be no ligs at all to stain.

Good luck

Ps my brackets are Radiance sapphire, they are clear, Inspire ice is made of the same material, but smaller. On the promotion leaflets, Radiance feel this offers the ortho easier rotation of teeth.

TigerLily

#37 Post by TigerLily »

I have ceramics top and bottom. The ortho did mention that a lot of her patients had ceramics top and metals bottom. However, when I said that I wanted ceramics on both arches, she said she thought it was a good decision as having braces was a big thing and anything that made it easier for me to deal with was good.

Incidentally when I was having my initial consultation my ortho was in braces herself and at the end of her treatment (She's been practicing for 20+ years and had put them on herself about 18 months previous to me first seeing her). She had ceramics top and bottom.

I do have a couple of metal brackets and see no difference in footprint. Perhaps the ceramics are slightly bigger but I can't see. The metal ones are not as smooth though.

I always have wire ties unless absolutely necessary for a particular tooth due to my ortho's thoughts on lig staining. The only thing I can't have is white archwire, she just doesn't think the white archwire available is as good as her preferred archwire and until her supplier starts making white archwire, I have to have silver.

I am glad I get the wire ties as when I did have two clear ligs for one period then a powerchain for another period, they went quite stained. Though I think I was more worried about it than anyone else, if they didnt notice my brace they were hardly going to notice a manky lig. I went into get them changed after a few weeks, but luckily in both cases my teeth had moved enough that I was back to wire ties.
Last edited by TigerLily on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

landela

#38 Post by landela »

I was originally going to go ceramics top and bottom, but once I got to the office I started asking which was better. I was told that the metal brackets are better. One of the assistants there had ceramic on top and metal on the bottom and she said the metal were more comfortable. They're not as big as the ceramics, they can bend the hooks in with metal ones so they don't poke out as much as the ceramic, and according to everyone at the office, they are easier to take off at the end. Plus, they have white boards at the office that patients can write on when they're done and a couple of people had written, "GET METAL BRACES." I want to make this process as painless and comfortable as possible so I went metal top and bottom. At first I was worried about how I would look with metal braces, which is why I had originally decided to go ceramic, but in the end, I care more about my comfort than how I look (I was very concerned about how far my lips would stick out, so I'm glad that the metal ones are smaller because my lips really don't stick out much at all). So far I am really happy with my metal braces, and everyone says I look really cute with them ;)
Last edited by landela on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Laynie

Braced - April 24, 2008
Last adjustment - December 16, 2008
Trangle elastics - August 26 - Current (only at night from 11/11/2008 - Current)
Treatment end date - January 28, 2009

Click link to read my braces story:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 532#258532 - Updated 11/11/2008 with pictures

beth1966

Re: staining

#39 Post by beth1966 »

[quote="rolo"]Beth,
If you could get self-ligating ceramics, there would be no ligs at all to stain.

My ortho does not offer self ligating brackets - he's not a fan of them.
But thanks anyway! My ortho offers InVu ceramics, supposedly the smallest profile ceramic out there - but who knows. :)

beth1966

#40 Post by beth1966 »

landela wrote:At first I was worried abotu how I would look with metal braces, which is why I had originally decided to go ceramic, but in the end, I care more about my comfort than how I look. So far I am really happy with my metal braces.
And thats all that matters - that you are happy! :)

We all have different requirements and feelings about it. Personally for 18 months of my life I DO care about looks vs. comfort - I'm a vain person and I admit it. And I think ceramic will look WAY better on me then metal - been there done that. But everyone is different. My ortho only charges $300 more for ceramic so he really has no reason to encourage his adults to choose ceramics, yet all of them do. :)

Thanks for feedback!

LaLaDee

#41 Post by LaLaDee »

Bumping it up!

sparkles

#42 Post by sparkles »

I asked my ortho for ceramic braces but he told me that I couldn't have ceramic ones as they break easier than metal ones and it wouldn't be suitable for treatment as long as mine (3 years).
I guess if my treatment length was shorter I may have got them.

Don't know if it makes a difference me being in the UK as opposed to the US on this though.

Fay

MsViola

#43 Post by MsViola »

Quick question:

Do you think Ortho's recommend types of brackets based on their own paticular experiences and personal preferences? I ask because I know of no one in my area that has ceramic brackets. They were not even listed as a choice at the 3 referrals I had..............just wondering.

fldhkybnva: I am sure you will make the right decision. Go with your gut feelings.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

LithpingLitha

#44 Post by LithpingLitha »

Ceramics are larger and the lightly colored ligs can stain. My biggest complaint about the ceramics is that they have to be broken to be taken off the teeth. The force applied to break them is unpleasant. Also it is disconcerting when shards break off in many directions.
The thing I like the most about my ceramic brackets is that my photos look fabulous and my braces aren't noticeable. It's a huge bonus to have a finished look before I'm actually finished. ;)
22 months in treatment (upper ceramics, gelb on lower arch and then self-ligating brackets), hawley retainers
LithpingLitha's Braces Story

Steel

#45 Post by Steel »

Ceramics look awful