Kissing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

beth1966

Kissing

#1 Post by beth1966 »

I know this topic must have been discussed before - - but if it was I wasn't involved in it.

Not looking to discuss all the issues and safety concerns that go along with being intitmate with someone who is braced - if you know what I mean. My boyfriend and I will navigate that on our own.

I just wondered about your significant other and how they reacted to the change in kissing you once you got braced? Can anyone share this with me? Since we are not the ones on the other end - it is hard to know just how the other person will feel, literally, when you kiss them once braced!

My boyfriend is not worried in the LEAST about ANY of this - I am the one a bit stressed and concerned about it.

Can anyone offer me a little feedback?

Faerydust

#2 Post by Faerydust »

My boyfriend wasn't concerned about it at all. In my opinion kissing feels a little bit awkward to me because I have to stretch my lips over the brackets now, but my boyfriend says he doesn't even notice them.
My Braces Story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=25137
4/23/08 - Upper 1st premolars & lower impacted wisdoms extracted
-Getting lowers rebraced Aug. 30th-
Certified Dental Assistant

bracednconfused

#3 Post by bracednconfused »

Hi Beth --

My boyfriend too was very supportive. I've been braced just over two weeks now and he says that it doesnt feel much different. I am the one self-conscious about it so I'm sure to be as careful as possible. I think it's more uncomfortable for me than it is for since I've got some self-conscious issues regarding intimacy with these stupid things on.

Beckster

#4 Post by Beckster »

I have experienced this both when braced myself and with a guy who was in braces(back in high school).

-It is no different to kiss someone who has braces than someone who does not, in my opinion.

-Now that I am in braces yet again, I still feel a bit self conscious about my braces when kissing. My husband has reassured me that it is no different than when I do not have them, and is of course supportive as can be.
"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."-Albert Camus

dimplez23

#5 Post by dimplez23 »

Right along with everyone here I have been insecure with kissing my boyfriend because I feel like I may hurt him or that it may feel weird for him and I must say that I didnt want to kiss him for the first few weks with braces and I still dont kiss him as much as I used to because I am so self conscious still. I hope that it changes soon because I really enjoy kissing! haha! :oops:
2/26/08- 4 spacers & brackets
3/4/08- 4 molar bands & 8 spacers
3/8/08- 4 premolars pulled
3/11/08- WIRES put on!! Ouuch! & 4 more molar bands
3/18/08- TPA put on and a lower lingual arch Torture Time -30 months
Next adjustment: August 12th
Last adjustment: July 16th

beth1966

#6 Post by beth1966 »

Thank you ALL so very very much!! This makes me feel so much better!

Yippeee! :lol:

LanShark

Kissing

#7 Post by LanShark »

When I got my braces, I was worried about being able to kiss my fiance, but after a couple of days my lips stretched around the brackets and we have had no real problems kissing. Once in a great while we might "collide" with the brackets, but we've been practicing to ensure it doesn't happen again. :lol:

- Bill

beth1966

#8 Post by beth1966 »

Thanks Bill! I have small lips - so I hope mine stretch a bit! :)

artroxu

#9 Post by artroxu »

My husband has been very supportive. He's very patient with me about my comfort level. He know that it's going to take a bit of time for me to feel comfortable and confident.

In the mean time, he says that when we kiss he can feel them a little bit but it doesn't bug him. :roll:

What makes up for the awkwardness though is that he thinks I look really cute with them on. Which makes me feel alot better. :)

EmbraceJCT

#10 Post by EmbraceJCT »

Like all of you, I'm self-conscious about kissing with braces too, but the guy I was seeing said he didn't notice. I just feel like I can't kiss how I normally would.

This weekend I did encounter a new kissing issue though. I just had an adjustment and I was given elastics to wear connecting my top and bottom braces - one on each side. They are so tight they basically clamp my mouth shut! Kissing with those was next to impossible.

I know it's entirely my bad attitude, but I honestly feel like putting dating on hold for the next 9-15 months :?

*melissa*

#11 Post by *melissa* »

Thank you so much for starting this topic. I love kissing my boyfriend, but.... Yep, I, too, am feeling pretty self conscious when it comes to kissing with these stupid things. It just hasnt been the *same*...I feel like I can't get that into it - I am afraid to open my mouth because it might be weird to him. I think there's been one time so far since I got braces that I got really into a kiss, and I hurt his lip on a bracket...he went "ow!"...so yeah...braces suck when it comes to kissing. I was thinking about just putting lotsa wax on, to make it seem semi-normal...anyone else ever done that?

bracednconfused

#12 Post by bracednconfused »

*melissa* I feel the same about the open mouth kissing! It's been a rare occurance the last couple of weeks, which sucks :(

Haven't done much with the wax though. I feel as I'd have to wax all my front teeth, top and bottom for it make a difference which couldn't possibly help me feel any sort of attractive!

artroxu

#13 Post by artroxu »

hahahaha @ bracednconfused's comment on waxing her teeth. :lol: I've thought of doing the same thing! I can't imagine how I'd look, 'course if its dark then who's to notice? :?

beth1966

#14 Post by beth1966 »

Welllll I'm sorry I started this thread! :shock:

Obviously I had a feeling what some of the answers would be but I LOVE kissing my boyfriend, it is one of life's greatest pleasures to me! And to think for a year and a half I won't enjoy it makes me sad!

I can still turn back and not get them ya know! :P

But I won't.

Bekah

#15 Post by Bekah »

I don't have a problem kissing my husband! I asked him if he could tell the difference and he told me no.

Have faith. I love kissing my husband too! I would die if I couldn't.
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!