Flossing with Braces: small tip

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ArchAngle

Flossing with Braces: small tip

#1 Post by ArchAngle »

It took me nearly 8 months of being in braces to figure this out. I have not seen it mentioned before and I am so pleased I thought I would share it with all:

1. On receipt of braces the Ortho provided a box of the floss threaders. (as below), I found trying to use it very difficult and irritating. Threading the floss, threading through the braces, flossing, repeat each time for each tooth.

2. Shortly thereafter very quickly learnt about "Superfloss", the dental floss type strings with a firm end on one end which you thread through the teeth (see below). Been using that for the past 7.5 months but slowly found as the teeth moved, it begun to sometimes shred and leave bits of itself between the teeth. That plus using it on the bracketed teeth only (I've only got the tops braced and there not the back molars) then switching to normal dental floss for the rest of the teeth, became a bit tiresome.

3. Eureka! :D Going back to the floss threader, I figured it out, after all this time. Silly me. Use regular dental floss that is waxed, a long piece, thread it through the threader, about 2 or 3 inches or so, then "twirl or twist" between your forefinger and thumb that end with the other, and voila, you have it nicely entwined, makes for a single piece (see below), and you can do each tooth without having to rethread it over and over again, and you can use that same piece for the rest of the teeth.

Dawna

#2 Post by Dawna »

Call me dumb but I can't quite imagine what you mean? I'd love any flossing help!

Spidey

#3 Post by Spidey »

The dental floss with the wax is a little sticky ~ so if you twist it, you can use the same piece for one arch without having to "thread" the loop over and over again.

Cool idea 8)

Bekah

#4 Post by Bekah »

I just figured out yesterday that the threader itself will fit in between the teeth where they meet the gums!

This saves me soooooo much time now!
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

*melissa*

#5 Post by *melissa* »

Will someone PLEASE explain this to me in a different way, I do not understand at all what ArchAngle means!!! :cry:

artroxu

#6 Post by artroxu »

I don't understand. How is this easier than using threader floss w/ the stiff end? The way I understand it, you'd still have to thread it between the brackets, just not through the threader anymore, right? I dont see how this is any faster than using threader floss.

timsmith

#7 Post by timsmith »

No quicker but sooooo much cheaper!

I actually tie my floss on, the small knot goes easily between my teeth, I am going to try the twist, thanks for the tip.

Clarity ceramic uppers, In Ovation metal lowers, 18 by 25 archwires and powerchain on top front 4

ArchAngle

#8 Post by ArchAngle »

Sorry for the confusion :shock:

As Spidey points out, it's sticky so if you twist it it will stick. You are bascially making your own Superfloss. With the plastic threader and the untied or unattached floss you thread it through the threader, then through the bracket then you got to put the plastic threader down as your floss your teeth. By attaching it, thread it, grab the floss, and the threader will hang, remove and repeat. And as Bekah points out, you don't need to thread it (or superfloss) through the bracket, rather directly through the teeth at the gumline (no aiming required :wink: ) just stick the end through the teeth at the gum line, pull the plastic out (in the inside of your mouth), hold the floss (the plastic will dangle), floss as you normally do, then pull the floss through and out. You can do that with superfloss as well, insert directly through the teeth at the gumline insteady of up through the bracket etc. Once you get the hang of it, it's really a fast process to floss.
Spidey

The dental floss with the wax is a little sticky ~ so if you twist it, you can use the same piece for one arch without having to "thread" the loop over and over again.
Bekah

I just figured out yesterday that the threader itself will fit in between the teeth where they meet the gums!

This saves me soooooo much time now!

browneyedgrl

#9 Post by browneyedgrl »

I have no patience for using a floss threader. It's such a PITA, I tried superfloss, which sucked and my hygenist used glide threader floss, which is awesome and I highly recommend!

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

TheNewEmperor

#10 Post by TheNewEmperor »

I tried to read the above and....gave up :lol:

Mind you, the photos definitely clued me in as to how to floss those areas that I can't get to with those little 'brushes' (interproximal thingamagingys). I tried last night with my favourite floss but it was to 'thready' so tried the other floss that has been kicking around my drawer for about a year (didn't like it because it felt too plastic-y) and it was ideal.

dirtybyrd

#11 Post by dirtybyrd »

If someone would be willing to do a small youtube video or something of this that would excellent !!!!! :D

michelle005

#12 Post by michelle005 »

ArchAngle, you are a genius. This has cut down my flossing time significantly! I was using SuperFloss but this is much easier, and normal waxed floss doesn't get as 'wet' as the SuperFloss, nor does it shred in between your teeth and leave the finest of threads you can barely find to pull out. Thank you!! :thumbsup:

Okay, I'll try to do my best to explain how I'm doing it (which is the technique ArchAngle described above)...

Step 1: Thread a piece of floss through the loop of the floss threader as you would normally do.

Step 2: Once you have maybe 3 inches of floss through the loop, stop, fold the floss so both the 3 inch piece and longer piece are touching, and mush and/or twist the 3 inches into the longer piece with a little force. This must be WAXED floss to work. The floss will stick to itself due to the wax. You now have one long strand of floss attached to the floss threader, as shown in the last picture of ArchAngle's original post. If you did it correctly you should be able to hold the end of the floss and swing the floss threader like a pendulum.

Step 3: Take the pointy end of the floss threader and thread through your teeth right at the gumline. It should go through the teeth so you can grasp the pointy end in the inside of your mouth. Now pull the floss threader through your teeth and out of your mouth, but don't pull the floss out yet, leave that between your teeth. Let the threader hang there while you use the floss between the teeth as you normally would. When you're done with that tooth, pull the remainder of the floss through the teeth and out of your mouth.

Step 4: With the floss still attached to the threader, repeat for all teeth. Voila! Quick and easy!

A little side note...eventually the twisted section of my floss got too slippery and unstuck from itself. Since I had not used the full length of floss yet, I simply attached the opposite end as explained in Step 2 and used the remainder, but you might want to just use a new piece of floss.

Hope you can all get it! Lemme know if you still don't and I'll try to add some pictures. Thanks again, ArchAngle! :D

TheNewEmperor

#13 Post by TheNewEmperor »

mary.

I love this tip!

#14 Post by mary. »

I also love the idea of putting a little knot. I'll be trying both. How much easier this is going to make my life! I love Glide floss and this will allow me to continue using it. I do like the Crest threader glide floss but it's expensive and has to be ordered online.

Thanks for sharing your tip! Sometimes it's the simple things that really work : )