Is it true about Chewing Gum? This is what the ortho assist.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tonia

#16 Post by Tonia »

When I got my braces on a little over a month ago I was told I could chew gum only if it was SF. I tried chewing gum for the first time this weekend and it hurt. Right when I closed my teeth on the little peice of gum it was painful.

I dont see how you guys do it...lol

chef

#17 Post by chef »

my ortho, who is board certified, debunked all the myths. You can chew gum (sugarless, ADA aproved like trident or orbit) you can eat popcorn (careful, no unpoped kernals and clean well), yes take Ibuprofen, etc etc.

cosmicgirl

#18 Post by cosmicgirl »

I used to chew gum ALL the time pre-braces as it helped keep my breath fresh. When I was braced my teeth were so painful I had to mush up all my food and chewing gum was out of the question.Well, after a few weeks of that, I soon got fed-up and decided to try a teeny little bit of gum, as I'd heard that it helped the "healing"

It was AGONY!!!

But after a little while, the pain eased and later that day I found I could chew normal food again YAY! (And I haven't looked back...)

So, my advice would be to give it a go. I haven't had any problems with it getting tangled up in the wires and it didn't interfere with my quad helix either - however, it DID help in the healing process!!!

KARESS

#19 Post by KARESS »

i always chew gum
I eat popcorn
Chips
hard Veggies
icecubes
Corn on the cob
& I always get good feedback from my orthodontist.
Matter of fact Im way ahead of schedule on getting my braces off (in two months)...I was supposed to get em off in 2.5 years but I havent even had em on for two years.
I dont think eating the "no-no's" are bad,...just as long as you are careful.
Its not what you eat..its how you eat it.

Banded: January. 18th, 2007
De-Banding: Nov. 6th, 2008!
& Nov. 13th, 2008 ; pics soon.

Retainers
Lower Bonded Retainer
Olive Green:
Lower Hawley Retainer
Upper Hawley Retainer

mygrill

#20 Post by mygrill »

The assistant at my ortho's practice told me that gum can help you adjust especially after each adjustments, but, it has to be sugar free. I was never a gum fan before braces and I definitely have not tried gum and braces since I got my braces on but I guess if it doesn't bother you, go for it!

TheNewEmperor

#21 Post by TheNewEmperor »

I chew away at gum ALL day at work...from about 10am to at least 4:30....I find it eases my gums

Beckster

#22 Post by Beckster »

Just read through this topic, and tought I'd give my $0.02.

First of all, I couldn't help but agree with Meryaten's HILARIOUS comment, that
I think that the assistant who claimed it would deactivate wires was talking through the end where the sun don't shine
During the time that I was in braces as an adult, I was told that sugarless gum was just fine, and I can hardly remember it causing any problems. (Side note: I would occasionally enjoy chewy candies as well, but would make sure I was careful in how I ate them.)

As a kid during my first go-round in braces, I was indeed told to pretty much avoid gum, etc. I think that was mostly due to the fact that when I got them at age 11 they probably did not trust that I would chew gum with care...But, during my time as an adult I had apparently become trustworthy, and even came to realize which brands would cause the least amount of problems with getting stuck in wires, etc.
"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."-Albert Camus