IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Under Construction

#61 Post by Under Construction »

I'm 40 with one impacted canine on my right side. It's really the biggest orthodontic issue I need to get through and it seems to be taking it's darn time! I had my exposure surgery in May (the day before my birthday - not the best plan!), and then I had a TPA placed and the chain attached to it on June 4th. I've had three adjustments since then and have seen very little movement. It seems like I get a good amount of pressure on the tooth within the first 24 hours of my adjustment and I'm hopeful things are working, and then a day later the pain is gone and nothing seems to be happening. Four and a half months later and I don't see a bit of the tooth yet. I have high hopes for my next adjustment which is tomorrow morning! Fingers crossed! Come on down, Phil! (My impacted tooth is called Punksatony Phil, the famous groundhog.) :)

LuckyLola

#62 Post by LuckyLola »

I'm 40 with one impacted canine. I'm wondering how many have had success, or unsuccess, at this age?
Any information is appreciated!

ngarner0717

#63 Post by ngarner0717 »

So I had the expose and bond surgery done again for the 4th time this morning. And come to find out the ortho is pulling the tooth into my incisor lol. So now that the ortho and oral surgeon have communicated about which way the tooth was being pulled it is now being pulled towards the back as it should be and I should now after almost 2 months of no pressure on it get it moving again. Hopefully this will do the trick and I will have my tooth in the right position in the next 6 to 12 months.

MyLittleTeeth

#64 Post by MyLittleTeeth »

Hi all,

I'm a proud member of the club too! I had an impacted canine exposed early this year, and it reached my archwire back in July :dance:

LuckyLola - I can think of two members of this board, one in her late 30s and one in her 50s who had success, so I definitely think you should be optimistic about your chances :) .

Under Construction - for what it's worth, my experience with adjustments was kind of similar to yours...I would feel pain/pressure on the impacted tooth for a day (sometimes less) and then nothing. The tooth was moving though, one day I woke up and it was poking out of my gum, seemingly out of nowhere.

Best of luck to everyone!

elijah24

#65 Post by elijah24 »

hey everyone, i appreciate the info...

member of the club, not by choice, but whatever...

i'm 25 and the right side came in normal when i was a kid, the left side however is a different story.

my primary tooth is still in place but the permanent tooth is directly behind it, breaking thru the roof of my mouth maybe 4 years ago or so and seemingly pushing further thru all the time to the point now that its gotta be an 1/8th of an inch or so thru the roof of my mouth

i have extremely limited dental insurance that i don't think would cover anything like this so i am expecting to pay out of pocket and thats a big reason i have put this whole thing off

so my main question is what does all of this cost? i know everyone's situation is unique but maybe just a ballpark estimate going the implant route vs the chain/braces route?

starzz

#66 Post by starzz »

If you're in US ortho consults are usually free. Go and see what they say.

Note you may not have room for an implant if you don't get braces.

If I were you, I would try to find a way to finance braces like a monthly payment plan. Since your canine is already coming in, I think you have extremely high chances that the tooth can be pulled the rest of the way in line with braces.
Braced for 2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 5 days (the 2nd time ‘round)
Hawley on top, Essix on bottom

elijah24

#67 Post by elijah24 »

wow, ok! thanks starzz!

anybody else have any insight as to an estimated cost?

Under Construction

#68 Post by Under Construction »

MyLittleTeeth, thank you for your message! I had another adjustment yesterday and it appears the large bump on the roof of my mouth is growing, meaning the tooth is on the move! I can't wait to see it coming through the skin so they can change the method of pulling it down. I'm already getting nervous about having the baby tooth pulled! Yikes!

MyLittleTeeth

#69 Post by MyLittleTeeth »

That's great news, Under Construction! Sounds like Phil will be making an appearance in no time! Good luck with getting your baby tooth pulled too...I'm sure it will be a breeze, I think baby teeth have pretty small roots so it probably won't put up much of a fight on its way out.

I hope that canine moves quickly for you! Be sure to keep us posted! :)

nessness

#70 Post by nessness »

Has anyone heard about extraction of canines?
Basically I have an impacted canine, and I overheard them when they were consulting talking about taking them out... :shock:
They play a huge part on your bite don't they? So I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this

nessness

#71 Post by nessness »

Has anyone heard about extraction of canines?
Basically I have an impacted canine, and I overheard them when they were consulting talking about taking them out... :shock:
They play a huge part on your bite don't they? So I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this

Muffin

#72 Post by Muffin »

What if your canine is half grown in, but taking a very long time to grow in completely i.e one year! Will they be able to speed up the process?

CassieB

Me too!

#73 Post by CassieB »

I too am 40 with an impacted canine. I am trying to be positive about the tooth moving into place. It is costing a small fortune ($600 without gas $900 with) so it had better work!

My surgery is scheduled for December 21 and truth be told...I'm petrified!!

MyLittleTeeth

#74 Post by MyLittleTeeth »

nessness - I've heard of extracting impacted canines. I think that most orthodontists agree that erupting the tooth into place is the ideal option, but if that can't be done for whatever reason (the tooth is not positioned properly, it's fused to the bone, etc.), then they'll refer the patient to an oral surgeon to have the tooth removed. From there, treatment plans vary...one orthodontist I saw recommended that I get an implant if my canine failed to erupt. Another said he would close the space left where my canine would have been orthodontically, so that my first premolar would take the place of and serve as a "substitute" for the canine. He claimed that there would be no functional difference between the canine and the first premolar, but also acknowledged that not all orthodontists would agree with him. He strongly discouraged getting an implant.

Muffin - Sorry your tooth is being so stubborn. I'm not sure if there is a way to speed up the eruption process or not...maybe you could ask your orthodontist if there is another method he/she could try to pull it down that might be more effective in your case?

CassieB - Good luck with your surgery! Hope it goes well and that your tooth moves quickly for you.

Breezzy

#75 Post by Breezzy »

Well I had my second surgery done on the 10th. My oral surgeon was nice enough to waive my cost for this surgery. Now I have a dime sized hole in my gums. It's pretty wicked. I keep poking at my canine that I can now see. :lol: Today I go to my ortho so they can reattach the chain to my arch wire. Does anyone know if the hole in my gums is for the tooth to come through? When I lift up my lip the hole is on the outside inside of the inside.