IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KarinaJean94

Re: IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

#931 Post by KarinaJean94 »

Thank you for your reply! I think the part of me thinks that I’m scared to show I’m anxious but I’m 100% taking a Valium before hand. I have a really sensitive flight or fight response aswell so when I get adrenaline I start getting the shakes aswell!

I’m excited to be getting this done and proud of myself considering going to the dentist is a small fear of mine, I dislike appointments in general!

I also told the dentist to give me the numbing gel before I get the injections because that’s what my local dentist does for me hahaha.

lish

#932 Post by lish »

I had my first surgery in Feb 2017 than in July chain came off so had another surgery but they used laser. I will be going in this saturday to have another laser surgery i think will remove some more gum tissue and they said attach another chain to change direction of tooth

KarinaJean94

#933 Post by KarinaJean94 »

How did everything go for your during surgery? Were you awake, tell me your experience x

lish

#934 Post by lish »

Hi karina for both surgeries i was awake they numb me so i did not feel anything for the first 1 when they cut me after the numbing wears off i felt it for 2 days. I was taking pain medication and rinising with warm water and salt. For the second 1 when they used laser i was fine there was very little pain.

lish

#935 Post by lish »

If the tooth is close to the surface will they just laser away more gum to help the tooth.my tissue grew over the tooth after the second surgery but according to my xray its only shows the palate loop that needs to come through. I dont see my tooth at all. I am hoping that on saturday when they laser i will b able to get a normal bracket on the tooth. It has been a very frustrating year

impacted4lyfe

#936 Post by impacted4lyfe »

Karina — I was around the same age as you when I had my first exposure surgery done. I totally understand the anxiety you're feeling! Although it was the more expensive option, I chose IV sedation so I was completely knocked out and have no memory of the surgery really. I woke up and it was over! I know I would have been just fine if I was conscious, but I was worried about things like my terrible gag reflex and just a bit scared in general because it was my first time.

No matter which route you go, just know that you're in good hands and always ask questions if you're curious or concerned about anything :)

Lish — I know how you feel too. I just had my 2nd exposure surgery! It was done with a laser this time. Before that, I could not see my tooth at all. But they went in, removed some of the gum tissue and attached my button and gold chain to a new position. It's been over a year since my first surgery and there's been very slow progress, but we're hopeful that this new change will help move the tooth. It's so damn nice to finally see this stubborn canine...I'm sure they will remove enough tissue for you to see yours again too. Ask your oral surgeon before the procedure, so you know what to expect.

Good luck to all of you! Keep us posted.

lish

#937 Post by lish »

Had my surgery done so this was my third exposure and second exposure with laser this time they lasered away front gum tissue and attached another chain so i have 2 chains on my canine.this time it was really painfull they say the front gum tissue is much more sensitive but by the 3rd day i was feeling ok no more painkillers.

Mimi75

#938 Post by Mimi75 »

When an impacted canine is coming in to the arch via a chain it can move the other teeth out of alignment or worsen midline problems for a time being. But this is only temporary and will reverse once the canine is in place and your orthodontist does some other adjustments. There are some great YouTube videos on the subject that I am SO grateful people have posted that are so helpful to show this progression. I would be totally freaked out if I had not seen these cases as my teeth have "swung" to the left (right side canine impaction), my upper palate and jaw are canted or sloped downward to the right where the canine tooth is, pushing the other incisor downward. This has caused facial symmetry for me also, but facial symmetry was the main reason I was seeking treatment for the impacted cuspid in my forties, so it was that way BEFORE orthodontic treatment (it's just that the treatment has made it worse). Anyhow, hope this helps someone and I REALLY hope my treatment is successful. I'll try and come back and post in about a year (proposed treatment time) to give you an update. :D

KarinaJean94

#939 Post by KarinaJean94 »

Well my surgery is only 6 days away! Wish me luck. I’m getting so much anxiety over it, but I am taking a Valium before hand so that should ease the anxiety heaps!

Krystal

#940 Post by Krystal »

Has anyone had the exposure done and they right away put on a normal bracket, and put the arch wire through it? How long until it came down to the gum line? Fingers toes and eyes crossed that mine comes down successfully.

impacted4lyfe

#941 Post by impacted4lyfe »

Hey Krystal, that wasn't the case for me but maybe your tooth was close enough to the surface that they were able to go ahead and connect it with the arch wire. Hopefully that's a good sign! I had my exposure done a long time ago, but still have a ways to go before a normal bracket could be bonded onto my canine. Trying to stay positive like everyone else!

Karina - hope your surgery went smoothly and the recovery is going well. Take it easy!

lish

#942 Post by lish »

Yeah u are lucky if you got a normal bracket on once canine is on a normal bracket it comes in faster mine has had a chain pulling it forward for 1 year now

lish

#943 Post by lish »

Karina how did your surgery go?

KarinaJean94

#944 Post by KarinaJean94 »

Hey guys! Surgery went great, wasn’t painful at all and I was comfortable throughout the whole procedure! 45 minutes it took, the Valium kicked in as soon as I went into the chair! The worst thing was the anxiety, I overreacted way to much and this procedure was much better than a filling. The recovery is good so far, it’s been 3 days since I’ve had it done and I’m having very little pain! My tightening is next Saturday so hopefully that doesn’t hurt!

Krystal

#945 Post by Krystal »

Has anyone had the tooth exposed with a laser? I can't find anything online about what it should look like as it's healing, so I'm not sure if mine is normal or not.