IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lish

Re: IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

#961 Post by lish »

Why cant i view images

braceface93

#962 Post by braceface93 »

I have an update. 4 weeks ago it looked like my canine was moving, and we could see the last link of the chain sticking out of my gums. I was happy! So the ortho removed the rest of the chain and attached an elastic "string"/wire to that last link to start pulling even harder. Yesterday I went back to check progress and tighten everything, but he couldn't find the last link of chain anymore - my gum has grown over it.

So, he wants me to go have another exposure surgery to remove that gum and re-expose the chain.

He can sense that I'm already frustrated about this process and it's only 6 months in, so he told me to talk to the surgeon about options (implants).

Right now I am leaning heavily towards extracting both my adult canines and just going for the implants. My ortho said that we may try to get my real canines in place for years, and we could still end up needing to do the implants in the end. He said sometimes the canines are moving well, and then all of a sudden they stop and you have to give up and go for the implants. My canines have *very* far to go, they are in my palate, full centimetres away from the gaps where they belong. Also, each time I have the chains pulled on I am in a lot of pain - taking extra strength advil every 6 hours for 3-4 days. Yikes!

He said I would need to have braces for about another year, and then I could get them off and have the implants put in.

Have any of you considered this route? I'm curious about the benefits of real teeth versus the implants. I know real teeth are always better, but with potential multiple exposure surgeries (already two now) and 3-4 years of braces, I want to know if that's really worth it for me.

sdavis82

#963 Post by sdavis82 »

Wanted to just post an update. I have been in braces for over a year now since Feb. 2017. Exposure surgery in April. We have been pulling on the chains for a year now and xrays show they are moving. The last time I saw my ortho she suggested I go back to the surgeon to have the gum tissue cut away. She thinks the tissue is preventing from breaking through. I was thinking the same thing as there are two large bulges there that have seemed to only get bigger. I have a consult appt. with the surgeon on Thursday. I really hope this speeds things up. The best thing I heard her say was, the surgeon might need the appliance removed to do the surgery....I really hope so. It would be nice to talk like a normal person instead of sounding like I'm a drunk slurring my words.

braceface93

#964 Post by braceface93 »

sdavis,

That's great! Seems like you are really making progress. Best of luck with the surgeon consult :) What appliance are you referring to?

sdavis82

#965 Post by sdavis82 »

It's basically a TPA appliance. It has two arms that extend out and end right below where my canines are. The gold chains are attached to little loops on the end of those arms. So they are pulling them straight down where they will erupt out of the roof of my mouth instead of in line with all the others.

After the meeting with my surgeon yesterday, he decided to go ahead and book the surgery for July 5th to remove the tissue. He thinks they both have actually come down below the actual gum line but with the tissue in the way, you just cant see them. So we will have it removed and hopefully be able to put brackets on then. He also said the appliance does need to come out as it is in the way. Super excited about that.

Krystal3

#966 Post by Krystal3 »

Hi there. I'm joining the club and relieved to see there are others in the same boat. I haven't started any treatments yet, but I will soon! I'm 28 and my left canine is impacted.

strinder

#967 Post by strinder »

So my impacted canine has been progressing really well. At my last appointment the ortho attaches a bracket to help pull its down more and then today they attached buttons on both side on my tooth. Each button is attached to a power chain to help spin it as it’s currently rotated 90 degrees.

However after a year in braces, today is without a doubt the worst pain I’ve had since having them put on. Ouch ouch ouch. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Krystal3

#968 Post by Krystal3 »

Was anyone's canine sitting above their teeth on the lip side? I'm so worried about it causing problems with the root of my other teeth. It's currently sitting above my first premolar and baby canine (at an angle).

rkbansal79

#969 Post by rkbansal79 »

Good Morning All,

My daughter she is 12 have the metals in her mouth for almost 1year. Started with a plate on top jaw to make the space for canines than temporary braces with springs to keep the space.

Yesterday we saw a OMFS surgeon who will expose the both top canines and than orthodontist will put full braces and start pulling them down.

Can someone please suggest us:
How long this chain stuff will take to pull these canines down?

Are these fess are normal? I know orthodontist is expensive that is on going for 4years...
Surgeon for canines - $1950
anaesthetist - $600
Hospital- $950

Hats off to all these people go who through all these processes for such a long time...

Regards

Lis23

#970 Post by Lis23 »

rkbansal79 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:54 pm Good Morning All,

My daughter she is 12 have the metals in her mouth for almost 1year. Started with a plate on top jaw to make the space for canines than temporary braces with springs to keep the space.

Yesterday we saw a OMFS surgeon who will expose the both top canines and than orthodontist will put full braces and start pulling them down.

Can someone please suggest us:
How long this chain stuff will take to pull these canines down?

Are these fess are normal? I know orthodontist is expensive that is on going for 4years...
Surgeon for canines - $1950
anaesthetist - $600
Hospital- $950

Hats off to all these people go who through all these processes for such a long time...

Regards
Yes, it is very expensive to get the surgery done. We live in Texas and we paid $3000 for the surgery after a 5% discount. My son was 13 when we started this and I know how you must feel.
He got the surger at the end of September and his braces where two weeks after that. Th ortho didn’t start pulling on the chains until January. His right caninebroke through the second week of March. If finally was put on regular braces about two weeks ago. The other canine however is just now making its first appearance. But it’s coming though! The younger they are the better chance of it coming down faster but everyone is different.

KarinaJean94

#971 Post by KarinaJean94 »

Rkansal79 - my surgery was just under $700 for canine exposure but I wasn’t put asleep, it was a fairly easy surgery wide awake with the help of Valium! This is in Australia though.

How’s everyones impacted canines going? Mine isn’t showing yet but it’s moving, orthodontic said I might need to be IV sedated when it comes to my lower jaw (impacted premolar) I’m not excited, would rather get it done awake that’s for sure. But I need that one ripped out or even exposed like the canine in order for my bottom braces to go on! So not excited :(

Ekg1980

#972 Post by Ekg1980 »

At 37 I’ve joined the club as well. Just had my exposure surgery 3 days ago and now beginning the long wait for the pesky tooth to appear. Reading through the archives on this thread it’s hard not to feel discouraged as so many previous posters only seem to be talking about the lack in of movement. It would be great to read some success stories, especially from over 30 patients.

KarinaJean94

#973 Post by KarinaJean94 »

I had my exposure done in March, the orthodontics started pulling it down 3 months ago..

I can see the tooth in the roof of my mouth and it’s moved slightly but it hasn’t gone into my gap yet??

TiltingAtWindmills

#974 Post by TiltingAtWindmills »

[quote=Ekg1980 post_id=503560 time=1532266009 user_id=32226]
At 37 I’ve joined the club as well. Just had my exposure surgery 3 days ago and now beginning the long wait for the pesky tooth to appear. Reading through the archives on this thread it’s hard not to feel discouraged as so many previous posters only seem to be talking about the lack in of movement. It would be great to read some success stories, especially from over 30 patients.
[/quote]

Agreed. I'm 38 and just joined the club with my canine exposure surgery and bonding for my impacted right canine (surgery done one week ago). Now it's just waiting to see if we can get the tooth in far enough with the spring to get braces started on it. I'm hopeful and worried all at once. When I first started the process of straightening my teeth (Invisalign), I originally thought we'd be doing an extraction and implant for my one impacted canine. I was shocked when the oral surgeon examined his xrays and felt differently. He says I have a decent shot at bringing in the tooth and should not just opt for an implant, and my orthodontist is optimistic too. So now I'm facing a longer and maybe more painful road (with braces- darn), but it will be worth it if it means keeping my own tooth. I'm told that my canine isn't too terribly far below the surface, has a healthy root, and isn't fused to the bone- all of which give me a shot. Yet I'm well aware that age is a big factor in success, and I have read about plenty of people of all ages waiting years with no progress. So, like you, I'm also reading for the experiences of those in my age group and for success stories.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you'll keep us posted on your progress!

birdie

#975 Post by birdie »

Hi all! I found this message board while searching for information about what to expect from my upcoming extraction and exposure surgery and it’s so nice to see there are so many other people in the exact same spot.

I’ve been in braces for about a year and a half and am having surgery Thursday. Fingers crossed everything goes well!