IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracesat41

Re: IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

#841 Post by bracesat41 »

Shelleyt wrote:Alliscone I am jealous that you work at the orthos office! I would use that to my benefit to get my chain pulled more frequently! I have been on a "every 2 weeks" schedule since my exposure in late March but so far that hasn't been enough to get real movement. Only a few links have come up since then and the ortho even said those may have just been initial slack from the oral surgeon making sure the chain was long enough.

For everyone who is working through- how long do you feel pressure from the chain on your impacted tooth. I am worried because I never feel it. This last time they depressed the wire so that it would have room to keep pulling up longer than just the initial elastic tightness and I maybe felt pressure for 24 hours. Just worried my current configuration isn't doing enough to get that tooth up, and I paid the extra $500 for wilkidontics, so I don't want to "waste" the six months that procedure is supposed to assist the tooth in moving now that I am halfway through it.

Hi Shelleyt - I have only just started the pulling as of last Monday. I was still sore from my exposure surgery - so he went easy on me. I only felt if for a little bit and so far some days i swear i feel it moving. But it might just be me hoping it is moving. I get a strange tingly sensation where the canines are.

bracesat41

#842 Post by bracesat41 »

TinnyLinda wrote:I had an impacted canine that I tried to pull it down with no luck. Many years later (25) I went to another ortho who gave me 2 choices: try it again (make room for it, another surgery) with a good chance of it not coming as it had not come before; getting it extracted and either making room for an implant or using the premolar as a canine.
After 3 months of thinking a lot about it I opted for the second choice, as it was the only certain. Now I'm wearing braces to fix my midline and some crowding.
Can't wait to see how yours go. Good luck!
TinnyLInda - Don't they have to extract the adult canine tooth even if you are not going to have an implant? And would they have to have bone put in the place of where the tooth was - so that the premolar can 'live' there in bone? The route you are going was never mentioned to me when i was talking about what to do before i started all this process.

Alliscone

#843 Post by Alliscone »

[quote="Shelleyt"]Alliscone I am jealous that you work at the orthos office! I would use that to my benefit to get my chain pulled more frequently! I have been on a "every 2 weeks" schedule since my exposure in late March but so far that hasn't been enough to get real movement. Only a few links have come up since then and the ortho even said those may have just been initial slack from the oral surgeon making sure the chain was long enough.

Haha I only had it activated yesterday, but we had alrsssy done it twice and I swear I've seen it move ! (Im constantly taking photos lol) it is really exciting!
I must say it's not as painful as I thought it would be. I can only describe it as a tingly, coldish pressure sensation. It is tender if my push my tongue onto the canine. My nose feels tingly as well.
Like I said most people's canines come down no dramas, and a lot say they feel pressure or pain but a lot say they don't feel anything. I think it comes down to pain threshold as well. I'm hoping by the end of this year it will be pushed more towards the back of my mouth away from my front teeth, and ready for braces to bring it home love hearing everyone's stories!

Also I've never ever heard of wilkidontics?! Sounds scary haha. I'm in Australia though so maybe that's why.

For everyone who is working through- how long do you feel pressure from the chain on your impacted tooth. I am worried because I never feel it. This last time they depressed the wire so that it would have room to keep pulling up longer than just the initial elastic tightness and I maybe felt pressure for 24 hours. Just worried my current configuration isn't doing enough to get that tooth up, and I paid the extra $500 for wilkidontics, so I don't want to "waste" the six months that procedure is supposed to assist the tooth in moving now that I am halfway through it.[/quote]

Alliscone

#844 Post by Alliscone »

Tinnylinda - I've also seen this done a lot and it's surprisingly a great cover up! So much better having a DSL tooth there anyway, and they look the same from the outside :)

Alliscone

#845 Post by Alliscone »

Sorry fake *

Whimsical

#846 Post by Whimsical »

Well, unless there is a minor miracle in the next couple of weeks, we'll be making the final call at my next appointment on July 11th to extract the canine sometime thereafter, and use the next tooth along in its place. Oh well, you can't win them all. (It's taken me many months to come around to this level of 'chill' about the whole situation!)
Hoping the fakery will look OK, it's going to have to! More surgery (and the £££) is my immediate concern now. It will be done by the same guy who did my exposure, I was such a terrified mess for that so I'm sure he'll be as 'thrilled' as I am to have to see me again!

bracesat41

#847 Post by bracesat41 »

Whimsical wrote:Well, unless there is a minor miracle in the next couple of weeks, we'll be making the final call at my next appointment on July 11th to extract the canine sometime thereafter, and use the next tooth along in its place. Oh well, you can't win them all. (It's taken me many months to come around to this level of 'chill' about the whole situation!)
Hoping the fakery will look OK, it's going to have to! More surgery (and the £££) is my immediate concern now. It will be done by the same guy who did my exposure, I was such a terrified mess for that so I'm sure he'll be as 'thrilled' as I am to have to see me again!
Did your tooth move at all in the time that you had it exposed? When did you have it exposed? I tried to look online to see what it would look like to use the other tooth as the canine replacement. Do you have a photo of what that will look like? Will that cause issues with your upper jaw, or do you have your wisdom teeth up?
Just thinking for my own back up plan if they don't move.

bracesat41

#848 Post by bracesat41 »

So really regret getting myself into this whole braces thing. I can't eat properly and when I do I have so much food stuck in my teeth. My baby canines were solid and were not causing me problems. I should have just kept them and dealt with it when they fell out. The way they were in so solid they would have lasted another 20 years probably and I would have just got a denture as I'd be 60!! I have been braces for 1 month and hate this so much. If my canines were showing I'd feel better but I'm jus so worried they won't move and then more $ for extractions, bone graft and implants. This sucks.

Whimsical

#849 Post by Whimsical »

It did seem to move, it got all the way to the end of the links on my chain and we were expecting it to break gum, but then it just stopped in December/January. Tried pulling it a few different ways since to see if that helped, but no change.
They showed me pictures of previous cases they’ve done where they replaced the canine, I don’t have an expert eye but I’d never have known the difference if they hadn’t said! My gap isn’t huge anyway so they don’t foresee any problems jaw or function-wise just shifting things along a few millimetres.
Price for extraction surgery isn’t as eye-watering as I expected either, £750 all in, including sedation which is the most expensive bit, but it’s worth every penny to be unconscious for that I think!
Despite everything I’m still glad I did it all, just wish I’d done it sooner and maybe had more chance of canine success!

UltraViolet

#850 Post by UltraViolet »

Mine hasn't moved either!

It was moving very well last year and beginning of the year then it just stopped and won't break through the gums. I haven't felt it move in months yet the other one is fully grown and functioning well.

Honestly I am considering the implant as well. I now have elastics to fix an over bite and my ortho says it will break through soon, but soon isn't coming and I am so frustrated. :-+

It is right at the tip of the gum and is shining though but it won't break the gum, what gives? :gavel:
TickerFactory.com

bracesat41

#851 Post by bracesat41 »

Anyone with an impacted tooth close to the gum? Can you feel hot and cold on that one spot?
I one side of my palate where my right tooth is - seems to feel cold and hot more that before I started all this.
More so now .. and not just because of the surgery as I healed from that a few weeks ago.
I'm wondering is it because the tooth is "virgin" and all of a sudden (as said did not feel like that even a few days ago) its now so close to the surface that I can sense cold and hot on it? Or maybe it's the button under the skin that is either hot or cold?
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Bbyrd

#852 Post by Bbyrd »

Mine aren't impacted. But they are really high. That's what I'm most self conscious about. I'm really hoping they can come down without any extractions. I'm terrified.

lish

#853 Post by lish »

I am going to have mine re exposed this weekend my chain came off this time i think he will not cover it up mine has been pulled by chain for the past 5 months. There is a bump just behind where there canine suppose to be i can feel a hard bulge there.

bracesat41

#854 Post by bracesat41 »

lish wrote:I am going to have mine re exposed this weekend my chain came off this time i think he will not cover it up mine has been pulled by chain for the past 5 months. There is a bump just behind where there canine suppose to be i can feel a hard bulge there.
How did your chain come off?
I sure hope I don't need to have re-exposure!!
I feel hard bumps on both of mine where the tooth should be as well, but not sure if that is the button or part of the tooth.

lish

#855 Post by lish »

i was brushing and think i pulled chain abit to hard,yes i will be needing re exposure he said will be done with laser. The last time it was exposed they attached it and covered the tooth up. This time i think they will leave the tooth open. hope this tooth can just move fast.