IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

millersgirl

Re: IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

#691 Post by millersgirl »

satinythrasher wrote:Kimmyann, how long has it been since you've noticed any movement now? If it's been a few months, maybe ask for an x-ray at your next appt?

Attaching an untouched pic to show that you really can't tell with the fake teeth - there's a bit of a shade difference, but I think because I had them on so long before the wedding and I drink coffee / red wine pretty regularly. May be an option for you though? They can't be used for chewing, they'll come loose - what they did is make the teeth to match, attached a bracket to each, and attached them to the wire. They just hung out on the wire, fitted into my gum line. My ortho included this as part of the 'package', we'd discussed it as an option during my consult because he knew all along I would be getting married mid-process.
archwired.jpg
For everyone who's having to go with plan B, I really (of course) hate the idea of having to throw in the towel and get implants - but better to know sooner than later, and it seems like at least most going with the alternate route only have a year or so into it. I've been in braces now since January of 2014... still no visible canines. I think I'd have a total breakdown if all of this money (upwards of $7k) and all of these years were for nothing, and back to square 1. Still may happen though. For my 'activated' canine - I had 3 links taken out of my chain yesterday, so ortho says that's almost 4mm of movement since having it activated in October 2015. Second canine had the fake tooth (pontic) removed yesterday, I need the soft tissue to heal up from the fake tooth sharply pushing up on it and then I'm back in there mid-April for the ortho to laser away a hole in my gums/expose/bond that adult canine, and activate it hopefully the same day. This second one is right at the gum line, curious to see how long I'll have that hole in my mouth - hopefully not too long, it's definitely a self-esteem killer for me to have teeth missing on both sides right in the front.
Beautiful wedding photo!! I just got married in February and also had braces and a pontic.

ditsy

#692 Post by ditsy »

Ah millersgirl!!!! So beautiful!!! And I love your bouquet!!! (Florist!!) :D happy you are feeling more positive xxx

octshio

#693 Post by octshio »

Today I put on the expander which is so low that I'm having difficulty swallowing saliva... :cry:

Katiej4ne

#694 Post by Katiej4ne »

I don't really understand how to use this but I've just searched a couple of things up to see whether getting chains put on your canines to pull them down etc. But I came across this and i just wanted help. So March last year I got my baby top canine teeth pulled out, with both molars either side, as there was too much crowding. I was told that my canines would come down fast and nothing to worry about. It's been a year and 1 month, and they still haven't come down. I've been told I need these chains and I'm very worried. I hate everything to do with teeth personally, and I hate mine. They make me so self conscious and my self confidence has gone down by a lot. I just want to know, do they hurt? Like honestly. I get told they wouldn't be bad but I just want to know how bad it really is going to be. I just want perfect teeth to be fair :( please help!

ditsy

#695 Post by ditsy »

Hi Katiej4ne, I was put out when they attached my chains so that bit didn't hurt at all! Mine were attached to the front of my tooth and coming from the front of my gum, where as I see a lot on here have them attached from underneath.
Mine hurt during adjustments and a little stingy when the tooth was on the move but it's been effective, and its worked well so all that pain was worth it. It only ever really hurt during adjustments, getting the chain tied back on to the brace, I think my dentist is maybe a little heavy handed but it has worked so I'm still grateful even though at the time it made me want to cry lol! Xxx

Katiej4ne

#696 Post by Katiej4ne »

[quote="ditsy"]Hi Katiej4ne, I was put out when they attached my chains so that bit didn't hurt at all! Mine were attached to the front of my tooth and coming from the front of my gum, where as I see a lot on here have them attached from underneath.
Mine hurt during adjustments and a little stingy when the tooth was on the move but it's been effective, and its worked well so all that pain was worth it. It only ever really hurt during adjustments, getting the chain tied back on to the brace, I think my dentist is maybe a little heavy handed but it has worked so I'm still grateful even though at the time it made me want to cry lol! Xxx[/quote]

Thank you! I am very nervous about this, but I just want it done right now, I've had enough of looking like this now, but hopefully soon I'll get them done and I'll be fine, I'm just so nervous of it xx

ditsy

#697 Post by ditsy »

Here's a gross close up pic of how mine were pulled through, originally it was just the chain hanging from the gum then the chain pulled the tooth through

So far it looks like this (just over a year of being braced) my teeth have been pulled up in the angle towards the canine, they have said they will do all they can to straighten these back out again when the canine is in place xx

millersgirl

#698 Post by millersgirl »

ditsy wrote:Ah millersgirl!!!! So beautiful!!! And I love your bouquet!!! (Florist!!) :D happy you are feeling more positive xxx
Thank you!!

Katiej4ne

#699 Post by Katiej4ne »

Oh wow !!! That looks really good!! How do they remove them? Xx

ditsy

#700 Post by ditsy »

They removed the chain base in a similar way as they do your brace brackets. They use snippers to trim the chain as your tooth moves down. Xx

Katiej4ne

#701 Post by Katiej4ne »

Ohh right okay. I haven't even got braces yet, my dentist said they were going to do my chains first and then put braces but I don't understand how that's supposed to work? Well I think they said that, i can't remember now xx

ditsy

#702 Post by ditsy »

Yeh with mine the put me out, attached the chain then stitched it all back up over the tooth leaving the chain out of the gum. Two weeks later they attached the brace then they attached the chain to the wire with some clear elastic thread. The chain was stitched up out the way after surgery so it wasn't hanging down they just trimmed the stitches off when they were ready to attach it to the brace xx

Tink14aa

#703 Post by Tink14aa »

I'm new to the group! Im 33 and just got my braces on last week. I'll have my exposure surgery in about 2 months. I'm okay with having braces, but I'm terrified my canines won't ever come down. I love hearing success stories :)

UltraViolet

#704 Post by UltraViolet »

Hello everyone.

I have been lurking around this forum since January. Thank you to all the contributors.

I got my braces in February and am seeing considerable teeth movement... Thank Heavens.

I will be getting my canines exposed within the next 3 weeks hopefully sooner. I am kinda scared they won't come down :(

I saw a Youtube video of the process and honestly I just wish I hadn't checked because now I am terrified.

I am turning 28 this year by the way.

UltraViolet

#705 Post by UltraViolet »

Finally got a date for my exposure....

Thursday the 9th. I am really scared, I hate needles, knives and everything about surgery no matter how small.

Fingers crossed.