Can braces fix my smile?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Zameera

Can braces fix my smile?

#1 Post by Zameera »

When I smile, the right side of my corner lips slant downwards but the left side slant upwards. Also, I have dimples and the dimple at my left cheek is deeper than on my right cheek. :oops:
I thought it is because I have crossbite but now, I no longer have crossbite (palatal expander for 2 months) and my smile is still the same :?
My twin sister doesn't have crossbite but she has the same "problem" though both her dimples are the same.

Zameera

#2 Post by Zameera »

No idea.. at all? :?

elpi

#3 Post by elpi »

I don't know if this is related to your particular situation but it might be helpful to know that nobody usually smiles totally symmetrically, For instance I can twist my mouth to the left really easily but not to the right and it's due to the way our brains are wired! Also people who are left handed usually have more movement on the opposite side of the face to people who are right handed :)

artroxu

#4 Post by artroxu »

Is there any way you can post a picture so we can see what you're talking about? Just the lower half of your face. I have some ideas of what it might be but seeing it might help us.

Thanks!

jennielee81

#5 Post by jennielee81 »

I agree with jtlang,

My face looked balanced and my teeth were crooked, now that my teeth are straight, my smile is crooked.

My left side lip is higher than my left and I have (always had) only one dimple (on the right).

Your teeth will shift and your whole facial smile may look different since your teeth look different, but I believe your smile, dimples and all, are part of your face, not your mouth.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm