Questions: 30-something Dating; IPR

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sunshine33

Questions: 30-something Dating; IPR

#1 Post by sunshine33 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:11 pm

Hi! I'm a newbie and have many questions, but I'll start with just a couple. I've gone through my consultation and preliminaries and I'm awaiting my actual date of getting braces (in about a month). I'm going to have ceramic uppers and lowers. The orthodontist I'm working with plans to do IPR too -- does anyone have any pro's/con's on this?

Second, I'd be interested in hearing from any fellow single (or single again) 30-something's and older who are in the dating pool and their stories about how they went about actually getting dates and relationships with braces. I'd rather not be alone for the next two years. Thanks!

dimeech

#2 Post by dimeech » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:24 am

I don't think I'll be going the IPR route... but I am a bit concerned about the dating thing too! I am 32. (Will be braced in a month or so.) I also just moved a few months ago, and I'm afraid I may be a little less approachable if I'm feeling self-conscious. (Should note that I DO have a boyfriend, but the reality is that I do not think that he will be relocating to be w/me, so I am mentally preparing for it as best I can. He has been very supportive of my needing to get braced, though.)

kirjax

#3 Post by kirjax » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:10 pm

I was told I may need IPR so far haven't had it but heard it's a better alternative to extractions.

And dating OMG tell me about it! I'm 25 and it's been horrible lol!! I look young anyways but with braces I've pushed my age a down a few more years so the only people I get hit on by are highschool boys or old men in there 80's at the gym (who basically hit on anything that walks) LOL

It's been tough but I'm okay with it. I figure if someone likes me for me they'll look past the braces!

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!