Herbst Appliance & Cemented Expanders

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bthug

Herbst Appliance & Cemented Expanders

#1 Post by Bthug »

Hello everyone. I'm brand new here so I was wondering if someone could help me with my questions! I am getting cemented expanders on the top and bottom of my jaw (they connect to my molars) and then an herbst appliance (some kind of bars that connect to my teeth). I am SUUUUPER nervous .. I'll admit I'm a HUGE baby when it comes to this. Anywho, I was wondering how visible all of this is to other people? It just really seems like I'm going to be like all metal when I open my mouth .. and it freaks me out to be honest. Any information would be AWESOME! Thank you! :(

KatieBug

#2 Post by KatieBug »

Hey there and welcome! You are in luck...I just got my herbst a week ago today. No you cannot see it from the outside and when you open your mouth you can see some metal. I have found that if I dont say anything about it, people dont even know that I have it. Let me know if you have anyother questions...I think I am the only one on this board with a herbst currently.

-Katie

[/url]

Bthug

#3 Post by Bthug »

Thank you so much! I've been wondering like crazy .. & my doctor didn't really give me a straight answer! How uncomfortable is it to wear? It just seems like I won't talk for a year lol .. I'm totally nervous.

KatieBug

#4 Post by KatieBug »

At first it is awkward but not painful. You'll have a bar under your tounge that makes you lisp like crazy. It is a week later for me and I am talking alright. Your jaw will be really tired but it all smoothes over. I am now back to eating normally (only 1 week). I had pizza for lunch yesterday (no crust of course!)

[/url]

KatieBug

#5 Post by KatieBug »

At first it is awkward but not painful. You'll have a bar under your tounge that makes you lisp like crazy. It is a week later for me and I am talking alright. Your jaw will be really tired but it all smoothes over. I am now back to eating normally (only 1 week). I had pizza for lunch yesterday (no crust of course!)

[/url]

Bthug

#6 Post by Bthug »

Oh my can't wait for the lisp haha. I took a couple of days off work .. so hopefully when I go back I'll be okay. I spend all day talking to crazy mad customers. Thank you sooooo much for your response .. it makes me feel so much better. I'm super scared that when I open my mouth it's going to be completely METAL and that freaaaaaaks me out. I hope you are still doing well with your recovery!

thesallymonster

#7 Post by thesallymonster »

I think I am the only one on this board with a herbst currently.
Nope, I have a Herbst too, but I just haven't really been checking the board much lately. :oops:

As Katiebug mentioned, the Herbst does have a bar that runs behind your bottom front teeth. You will talk funny for the first week or so, but your tongue gets used to it. Also, cleaning around that bar (and the rest of that appliance for that matter!) is a real pain. I recommend getting some of that stiff-ended floss, as it's really helpful for getting around your new gadget!

For me, it took about two weeks before I could really start eating solids, but that was because I have a deep bite and my back teeth didn't come together at first to chew food. That was very annoying. Your case might be different, of course, but if you run into this situation hang in there! It does get better and your back teeth will meet eventually.

Sorry if I sound a bit cynical, I guess it's pretty obvious that I can't wait to get this contraption out of my mouth (I've had it for almost six months now, and I will have it for about another six months or so). The good news, though, is that Herbst appliances are hidden quite well inside your mouth. People always find it incredibly shocking when I show them my Herbst, they had no idea I have such a thing in my mouth! :shock:

Oh, but one other thing. Don't open your mouth too wide with your Herbst, it can come apart. You can easily put it back together yourself if this happens (your ortho will teach you), but it can be a great source of embarrassment, especially when eating.
*The Sallymonster*

Now in elastics, too! Since 2/25/09.

Bthug

#8 Post by Bthug »

Thank you soooo much BOTH of you. I am so thankful that someone was able to answer some of my questions! I have to have the cemented expanders on for like 3-4 months .. and the herbst appliance on for one year. When I have the expanders removed they will put braces on. I'm completely nervous about everything, but I'm trying to be brave & remember it will all be WORTH it in the end! If you have anymore advice PLEASE share. :roll:

CarmeeKitty

Herbst

#9 Post by CarmeeKitty »

I got one a few weeks ago, too...March 25th or so, I think. I don't know if you've gotten yours yet, but I decided to post this anyway, in case anyone is nervous.

Firstly, if you're nervous...DON'T BE! I think my nervousness was the worst part of it all. I spent weeks fretting over this, and after I got it, it wasn't anything to be nervous about.

I don't, and never did, have a lisp, I guess it just depends on the person. When I first got it, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to stick with it. It didn't HURT, but I was just frustrated. I was having a hard time eating solids (once my mom made me some tapioca and other soft foods, my outlook drastically improved), and the food kept getting stuck in my appliance. I couldn't swallow very well because it was hard to chew and because of the food getting stuck. Additionally, some of the screws cut into my gums a little bit. However, things quickly improved. I had my mom go back to the orthodontist to get some wax (though I didn't use it for long; it kept falling off, and eventually my cheeks toughened up to the point where I barely notice it now). I stuck with the soft food diet for a few days, eating tapioca pudding, chocolate pudding, deviled eggs, and turkey soup. After a few days (probably 3 or 4) I started eating more solid foods, and by a week later, I could eat most solid foods that I wished to.

If your orthodontist gives you cotton rolls to stuff on the sides of your mouth at night, you may want to use them for the first couple days so your cheeks don't get irritated from rubbing up against the appliance, but if he doesn't give you any, I don't imagine it'd be a big problem anyway. After 3 days of wearing the cotton rolls, I discovered I didn't need to use them. :wink: posting.php?mode=smilies
View more Emoticons

So that's all. It's not a horrible appliance, and it's quite easy to get used to. I remember when I got it on, I was terrified, having read many horror stories on the Internet about how awful it was, but let me tell you, don't listen to those people. In most cases, they're just trying to scare you, because this thing is quite bearable and it is not bad at all! :HugeGrin: Plus, nobody can see the appliance in your mouth unless you show them. Completely hidden! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck!

As for the expanders, I had one in the top of my mouth a few years ago. I don't remember a whole lot about it. If I remember correctly, I had a lisp for a while and it went away eventually. Food got stuck up there a lot, which was a pain, but I got it out with this thing that is basically a little pipe-cleaner on the end of a stick. This was very helpful. I also heard that something called a WaterPik can be helpful to get food out of appliances, but I've never used one before, so I wouldn't know.

Remember, having these appliances isn't exactly fun, but it'll be all worth it when you have a perfect smile! :wink:

Okay, done with my rambling.

CarmeeKitty

#10 Post by CarmeeKitty »

I got one a few weeks ago, too...March 25th or so, I think. I don't know if you've gotten yours yet, but I decided to post this anyway, in case anyone is nervous.

Firstly, if you're nervous...DON'T BE! I think my nervousness was the worst part of it all. I spent weeks fretting over this, and after I got it, it wasn't anything to be nervous about.

I don't, and never did, have a lisp, I guess it just depends on the person. When I first got it, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to stick with it. It didn't HURT, but I was just frustrated. I was having a hard time eating solids (once my mom made me some tapioca and other soft foods, my outlook drastically improved), and the food kept getting stuck in my appliance. I couldn't swallow very well because it was hard to chew and because of the food getting stuck. Additionally, some of the screws cut into my gums a little bit. However, things quickly improved. I had my mom go back to the orthodontist to get some wax (though I didn't use it for long; it kept falling off, and eventually my cheeks toughened up to the point where I barely notice it now). I stuck with the soft food diet for a few days, eating tapioca pudding, chocolate pudding, deviled eggs, and turkey soup. After a few days (probably 3 or 4) I started eating more solid foods, and by a week later, I could eat most solid foods that I wished to.

If your orthodontist gives you cotton rolls to stuff on the sides of your mouth at night, you may want to use them for the first couple days so your cheeks don't get irritated from rubbing up against the appliance, but if he doesn't give you any, I don't imagine it'd be a big problem anyway. After 3 days of wearing the cotton rolls, I discovered I didn't need to use them. :wink: posting.php?mode=smilies
View more Emoticons

So that's all. It's not a horrible appliance, and it's quite easy to get used to. I remember when I got it on, I was terrified, having read many horror stories on the Internet about how awful it was, but let me tell you, don't listen to those people. In most cases, they're just trying to scare you, because this thing is quite bearable and it is not bad at all! :HugeGrin: Plus, nobody can see the appliance in your mouth unless you show them. Completely hidden! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck!

As for the expanders, I had one in the top of my mouth a few years ago. I don't remember a whole lot about it. If I remember correctly, I had a lisp for a while and it went away eventually. Food got stuck up there a lot, which was a pain, but I got it out with this thing that is basically a little pipe-cleaner on the end of a stick. This was very helpful. I also heard that something called a WaterPik can be helpful to get food out of appliances, but I've never used one before, so I wouldn't know.

Remember, having these appliances isn't exactly fun, but it'll be all worth it when you have a perfect smile! :wink:

Okay, done with my rambling. Good luck, everyone!

Braceschris

#11 Post by Braceschris »

I have the herbest applaince as a retainer for about 2 weeks now. I use it for my sleep apena and make adjustements 2 times a week. I have not had any problems so far with it. I also have worn it during the day just to get used to it since I only have to use it at night. I am working on trying to post the photos of the device. Hope to have it later this week.

Chris