Adult with Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rmogen

Adult with Braces

#1 Post by rmogen »

I just found out I will have to wear braces for the next 3-4 years and have to wear headgear as well. I'm an adult and wore brcaes for 7 and headgear a s achild, but now have to have 4 more teeth pulled and do it again. I'm a professional, so little concerned about the affect it will have on public perception of me as I am in sales, any thoughts or comments? :(

PARR

#2 Post by PARR »

I am an adult with braces and headgear, a professional working in health care. I did it by choice. I was given the option and I took it after consideration.

So I would guess this is a choice you will make. You have several opinions and treatment plans to choose from?

If you are not 100% with your treatment it won't go smoothly and you won't be happy about it. So get options and make an informed decision.

I can't tell you it will be ok because I'm not you and don't have all the info. But if you have a second and third opinion and make an informed decision, you will be happier about your treatment and more compliant with your oetho's presriptions whatever they are.

rmogen

Thanks

#3 Post by rmogen »

Thanks,

This is my third opinion and they all said the same, I was just feeling a little uncomfortable about it, but I fele better now. APpointment is scheudled for the 13th of March, Yippee, I will now be able to open my jaw better now.

tazzle

#4 Post by tazzle »

as parr said , if you are motivated by whatever the reason is you want / need treatment ...... then you will do it anyway

I think it then makes you exude the confidence that will alter other peoples perception. let them ask question of they need to etc......

eg I need the treatment or I will be in discomfort / pain the rest of my life ...... and proably lose my teeth anyway because of the undue pressure. So really there is little choice .

If you have other reasons then it depends on how strongly you feel .

as to "the public" ...... if you had a broken jaw or leg ...... or you had cruthes, or in a wheelchair ......... there would still be "curiosity" , you cant get away from it becasue its human nature - we all have it !

good luck with the treament :D

[/url]

ImageImage

loulou123

#5 Post by loulou123 »

Ive never had to wear the head gear, but ive had braces on for 20months now and have had no negative comments.

Ive just had jaw surgery and look pretty bad right now, but ive been going out and even now no one has said anything nasty to me, tho in all honesty i have had a few odd looks, but as tazzle says, this you would find with anything slightly different.

Good luck

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

jenny101101

#6 Post by jenny101101 »

I'm so glad I found this website! I'm going tomorrow morning to have my top braces put on and then getting my bottom ones put on in 10 weeks. I'm an adult and have wanted to fix my teeth my whole life. It's nice to know there are others out there with the same concerns(ie. what will ppl think? Am I too old to even worry? etc). Good for all of you for taking the plunge!!